Bael's Bastard

A Song of "some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead"

Thanks so much for clarifying your views.  It helps me to learn when we can see eye to eye on things.   

As it turns out, I was wrong about Tom singing the song, unless Jenny's song is the same song, which I can't completely rule out (I think Preston Jacobs and Cantuse have tried to make the case they are).  In any case, I must have been thinking of this quote from the first time the brotherhood visited the ghost of high heart.

So the singer played for her, so soft and sad that Arya only heard snatches of the words, though the tune was half-familiar. Sansa would know it, I bet. Her sister had known all the songs, and she could even play a little, and sing so sweetly. All I could ever do was shout the words.

We learn the second time they visit high heart that Tom always sing's the witch "Jenny's song."  I suppose that Jenny may very well have fallen from a tower at Summerhall, after Prince Duncan dies.  

On 2/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, Walda said:

Marrillion is probably from the Riverlands

Hmm...  If your argument is that we learn about context from the songs, then I think we should also learn about the singer's from the context.  He didn't know about Edmure's floppy fish issue, so I take this as evidence that he was not from the Riverlands.  Perhaps he was from the Reach or Westerlands.  

The songs themselves tell us of local things and ways - for instance, the Dornishman's wife is popular in places where there is a predjudice against Dornishmen, and not sung in Dorne. The wildlings of the north don't sing that song either, but Mance does. That is significant. 

Yeah.  It means he's a KG from Dorne, singing it ironically, because he twice took vows of chastity, (since broken), which means this song wasn't really objectionable to him in the past because he couldn't have a wife anyway, and because the Dornishman's wife he's talking about now is Dalla, because he is Arthur Dayne and she is his wife! (no I am not joking, but the irony is funny if I am right). 

Then again. the song also foreshadow's his death fighting the others... which is not so funny

If Dareon wrote the song himself, it might have been about Jon and Ygritte. Jon found her dying beneath Hardin's tower.

Would Dareon call Jon a prince?

Still, anything Arya calls stupid is probably actually important, so, why not?!

Edited by The Green Bard
typos

1 hour ago, The Green Bard said:

Anything's possible, I suppose.

With the stories being so similar, I have to wonder if the Dead Prince and the Lost Child are the same element. Just being described in different ways, similar to the Red Comet. 

2 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

I don't think she had a stillbirth or killed herself.  I think she's very much alive.   Most likely disguised as Gyanna Reed.

I've been thinking that the Lost Child might be the decoy killed in place of Aegon(Young Griff).
So it might make sense for Ashara(Lemore) to feel a need to protect someone she already sacrificed so much for. Either willingly or unwillingly. 

2 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

My point was that she doesn't have to be dead for the song to be about her.  

I imagine the story would be close to the truth, like maybe she just dived into the water and swam to a boat.. 

Might have worked, but they ran afoul of the Lady of the Tower, and her oarsmaster has a Tyroshi wife.

Hmm, perhaps the connection to Tyrosh is important.

The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes.

Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara's daughter …

When she spoke, he gaped at her in astonishment. "My lady, you are … Tyroshi? Can it be so?"

On 2/18/2020 at 7:56 PM, Narsil4 said:

I imagine the story would be close to the truth, like maybe she just dived into the water and swam to a boat

It would need to be close enough for a prohet to be able to think it true.  Think Jojen's vision of Bran and Rickon's death,  

On 2/16/2020 at 12:17 AM, Bael's Bastard said:

I've wondered at times if Lyanna did something like that, but then it always seems unlikely to me that she would have done that after giving birth to Jon, or been permitted to by the KG even if she had been inclined to. It seems most plausible she simply died from pregnancy issues.

On the other hand, there is no proof she ever gave birth.  And if she did, the baby most likely did not make it.  And if the baby made it, it might be little Griff.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:39 PM, Prince Rhaego said:

It's about Ashara and Rhaegar. I believe there was a love triangle between Ashara/Rhaegar/Elia ASOIAF has a lot of that too

Possible