Hardhome got The Color out of Space-d

There's this H.P. Lovecraft story called The Color out of Space. Basically, a meteor hits this household in the countryside. It's got all of this weird alien material which roots into the soil and drives the residents insane. What's in the comet is left ambiguous, but it is implied it is something not from this world. 

One of my crackpots is that this is what happened to Hardhome. It's a really half-baked theory and I don't expect it to be true, but does anyone have any thoughts on it? 

1 hour ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

There's this H.P. Lovecraft story called The Color out of Space. Basically, a meteor hits this household in the countryside. It's got all of this weird alien material which roots into the soil and drives the residents insane. What's in the comet is left ambiguous, but it is implied it is something not from this world. 

One of my crackpots is that this is what happened to Hardhome. It's a really half-baked theory and I don't expect it to be true, but does anyone have any thoughts on it? 

There are quite a few theories, ideas, and essays that examine these possibilities. I really, really don’t believe in any of the “aliens invading”, or the dragons are spaceships, or the heart trees are spaceships, or the red comet is a spaceship - and yes, all of those theories are out there somewhere. 

As to HH, I don’t know... we have precious little actual information, so it’s really hard to try and piece the puzzle together at this point. A few years ago I started to play w/ the idea that HH and the Doom had happened much closer together, maybe even at the same time, and that this cataclysmic fiery event was what woke the WWs. But this was so long ago I don’t even remember why I abandoned it, or even if I did abandon it or just got busy and ended up forgetting all about it. :lol:

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are quite a few theories, ideas, and essays that examine these possibilities. I really, really don’t believe in any of the “aliens invading”, or the dragons are spaceships, or the heart trees are spaceships, or the red comet is a spaceship - and yes, all of those theories are out there somewhere. 

As to HH, I don’t know... we have precious little actual information, so it’s really hard to try and piece the puzzle together at this point. A few years ago I started to play w/ the idea that HH and the Doom had happened much closer together, maybe even at the same time, and that this cataclysmic fiery event was what woke the WWs. But this was so long ago I don’t even remember why I abandoned it, or even if I did abandon it or just got busy and ended up forgetting all about it. :lol:

No, I don't really believe in any aliens theories. I just think the Hardhome situation might be similar to Color out of Space. 

The Doom being the event that woke up the Others is really interesting. That's an awesome theory, so thanks for sharing that one. Have you done a topic post on that theory, because that might convince a lot of people. 

19 minutes ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

No, I don't really believe in any aliens theories. I just think the Hardhome situation might be similar to Color out of Space. 

The Doom being the event that woke up the Others is really interesting. That's an awesome theory, so thanks for sharing that one. Have you done a topic post on that theory, because that might convince a lot of people. 

No, never got as far as having the whole thing written down coherently, I only had a rough outline. I’ll have a look, I may still have it somewhere. I am now really curious as to whether I deliberately dropped the idea or just sort of forgot about it. 

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, never got as far as having the whole thing written down coherently, I only had a rough outline. I’ll have a look, I may still have it somewhere. I am now really curious as to whether I deliberately dropped the idea or just sort of forgot about it. 

If you ever end up posting it, I'll certainly take a look. The theory seems really interesting. 

I think you are on the right track in terms of Lovecraftian contamination but I think the "impact site" is probably K'Dath to stick with the Lovecraftian theme.

A good catch, the Hardhome event does have Lovecraftian vibes! - Doesn't mean all elements have to be the same, but I'd like to point out that we do have some space things going on in the Planetos, with the moon cracking open to release dragons and a very unusual sword forged from the heart of a fallen star, so there might be something out of space actually taking place all over the, hm, place.

BTW, that story is perhaps the creepiest by Lovecraft I have ever read.

Archived