Stannis Baratheon Predictions

Maybe I should have posted this in the Winds forum or somewhere other than here but if you’re not up to speed with the books, don’t read this.  

If you are, you’re aware that Stannis Baratheon, the one true king, is indeed still very much alive. He’s holed up in a small ice lake village seeking refuge from the harsh conditions and battling winter attrition. As things stand, he faces an imminent encounter with a contingent of Bolton/Frey soldiers en route to his current locale, more or less, and there’s going to be some combat. 

My prediction is that Stannis does manage to use the ground to his advantage as he previously states, and that he will emerge victorious by means of a brilliant strategic Ice Lake Trap on the treasonous Frey scum, whom deserve to die. 

I also predict that he will take Winterfell. The details and events leading to this theory are uncertain at this time, but I do believe Stannis will prevail. 

But how do things go from here? Does Stannis survive? If so, does he live to fight against the Others and then die? Because I don’t see too much story arc left for him in the plot lines really, considering Jon Snow’s parentage and what not. Perhaps he lives through all the battles to come and marches south and flips the script on a whole lot of other treasonous basterds? 

What are your predictions with Stannis The Mannis?

That we are about (in the next ten years or so) to witness his final battle. He will fight hard and well and take a lot of baddies with him, but the numbers are too much and Ramsay is far more cunning than Stan gives him credit for, his defeat and death will serve as a lesson for Jon Snow. It makes me sad because Stannis is my favourite but I can’t picture another outcome

7 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

Maybe I should have posted this in the Winds forum or somewhere other than here but if you’re not up to speed with the books, don’t read this.  

If you are, you’re aware that Stannis Baratheon, the one true king, is indeed still very much alive. He’s holed up in a small ice lake village seeking refuge from the harsh conditions and battling winter attrition. As things stand, he faces an imminent encounter with a contingent of Bolton/Frey soldiers en route to his current locale, more or less, and there’s going to be some combat. 

My prediction is that Stannis does manage to use the ground to his advantage as he previously states, and that he will emerge victorious by means of a brilliant strategic Ice Lake Trap on the treasonous Frey scum, whom deserve to die. 

I also predict that he will take Winterfell. The details and events leading to this theory are uncertain at this time, but I do believe Stannis will prevail. 

Here, pretty much everybody agrees. He wins the Battle of Ice, takes Winterfell and starts reorganizing the North. But...

7 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

But how do things go from here? Does Stannis survive? If so, does he live to fight against the Others and then die? Because I don’t see too much story arc left for him in the plot lines really, considering Jon Snow’s parentage and what not. Perhaps he lives through all the battles to come and marches south and flips the script on a whole lot of other treasonous basterds? 

I also have problems to see beyond that. How the Stark restoration plays with Stannis holding Winterfell. How does he react to the problems of the Night's Watch (including Jon's assassination). How does he react to Aegon's campaign? What does he do about the persistent rumors of Daenerys dragons? Where is he when the Wall falls?

10 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

As much as I’d love to see Stannis being a sarcastic grump until the end of the series, I feel like Stannis has to die in Book 6 to tie up loose ends before the finale. 

2 hours ago, Potsk said:

If he'll die, there's no cooler (pun unintended) end for Stannis than falling in battle against the Others

Agreed. Either he lives and finally bends when he yields his claim to kingship and gets to rule his beloved Storm’s End, or he dies fighting the Others like a hero. Those are the best outcomes I can hope for with him.

25 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I dont think Stannis is taking Winterfell. Everywhere he goes he burns the gods and the heart tree of Winterfell would be no different, which I doubt will happen. Therefore Stannis will not take Winterfell

He doesn’t have Melisandre with him, and unlike in the show he isn’t a stupid fanatic.

I hope that he will live enough to bring some justice to Westeros, but it is more likely he will die before returning south. Though will it be in fight against the Others or against men I am not sure. 

What I expect in Twow is very dark Nightfort chapter, whether he is present or not, maybe even while under attack by Others. 

Though it is possible that even after his death , he will have some sort of impact on the establishing new regime in Westeros. For example his contract with Braavos signed in his own blood and power that resides there.

I believe that Stannis will either die in the battle or shortly after. I do foresee the Starks (this would include Jon) taking back the North. I do not think there will be two battles of Winterfell to overthrow the Boltons.

In the most generous of circumstances I would say that Stannis dies fighting the others in the beginning of ADoS.

17 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

He condemns himself to death for kinslaying after having break in his fanaticism.

Stannis is the false Azor Ahai and we all know this lie will be slain.  It does not necessarily mean he will be executed but his role will be diminished when the real Azor Ahai and her dragons arrive in Westeros.  Stannis is not going to sit on the iron throne and he's not coming back to the south.  He will be forced to join the Watch for helping to usurp the throne from the Targaryens or he will die fighting the white walkers.  

I'm a big believer in the Night Lamp theory on how Stannis (the true king) is about to whoop the everloving shit out Ramsay. If you haven't read it, google it. It makes almost too much sense. I also think the Manderly army is waiting outside the castle walls and will play some role in Stannis retaking Winterfell. 

And then middle, middle, middle...I have no idea what happens after Stannis takes Winterfell.

BUT - I think Stannis will become the 1,000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and lead the black brothers in the final battle. Mormont was 997, Jon was 998, whoever is in charge now is 999. Maybe Stannis takes the Black after the death of his daughter. That, combined with his Kinslaying, may be enough for Mr. Honor to take the black, especially in a time when they need a real leader. 

Unfortunately, if Stannis does become the 1,000th LC, he kind of has to die in the final battle. But he's going to take a lot of wights with him. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

I'm a big believer in the Night Lamp theory on how Stannis (the true king) is about to whoop the everloving shit out Ramsay. If you haven't read it, google it. It makes almost too much sense. I also think the Manderly army is waiting outside the castle walls and will play some role in Stannis retaking Winterfell. 

And then middle, middle, middle...I have no idea what happens after Stannis takes Winterfell.

BUT - I think Stannis will become the 1,000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and lead the black brothers in the final battle. Mormont was 997, Jon was 998, whoever is in charge now is 999. Maybe Stannis takes the Black after the death of his daughter. That, combined with his Kinslaying, may be enough for Mr. Honor to take the black, especially in a time when they need a real leader. 

Unfortunately, if Stannis does become the 1,000th LC, he kind of has to die in the final battle. But he's going to take a lot of wights with him. 

Pretty much agree.

What happens in the middle is also unclear to me.

Word of Stannis's defeat and death will spread (marching into the sea), but Manderly will triumph over Bolton. Stannis will then join with Manderly's naval power (riding seahorses with mermen blowing seashells) to threaten Aegon and/or Daenerys, and possibly even Euron as the Second Dance of the Dragons reaches its crescendo. 

And they'll be joined by the river lords still allied with North...

"Under the sea, men marry fishes." Patchface did a little dance step, jingling his bells. "They do, they do, they do."

Jon XIII, Dance

Stannis's host of Nothmen and Rivermen will array for battle at the Trident. Their numbers will be swollen by Northern childless and homeless men, unwed men, old men, and younger sons coming for war, for adventure and plunder, and for a glorious death to spare their kin beyond the Neck one more mouth to feed (just like Creegan Stark's host in the Dance of the Dragons). Daenerys will meet them...

That night she dreamt she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurpers rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.

However, I think rather than burn this host she will take it for her own to fight Aegon. Recall how Stannis took Renly's power for his own...

"I beg you in the name of the Mother," Catelyn began when a sudden gust of wind flung open the door of the tent. She thought she glimpsed movement, but when she turned her head, it was only the king's shadow shifting against the silken walls. She heard Renly begin a jest, his shadow moving, lifting its sword, black on green, candles guttering, shivering, something was queer, wrong, and then she saw Renly's sword still in its scabbard, sheathed still, but the shadowsword . . .

"Cold," said Renly in a small puzzled voice, a heartbeat before the steel of his gorget parted like cheesecloth beneath the shadow of a blade that was not there. He had time to make a small thick gasp before the blood came gushing out of his throat.

Catelyn IV, Clash

We know that the North fought on the black side in the Dance of Dragons. And I seem to recall an old SSM where the George said the North tended to be loyalist after Torrhen knelt (or perhaps it was a post by Ran). We know that Daenerys is going to slay the lie that is Stannis or his claim. Perhaps Drogon, the shadow, will remove Stannis and Daenerys will claim Stannis's forces the way Stannis claimed Renly's.

It were the black one, the man said, in a Ghiscari growl, the winged shadow. He come down from the sky and and...

Daenerys I, Dance 2

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning . . . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?"

Davos V, Storm 54

37 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Word of Stannis's defeat and death will spread (marching into the sea), but Manderly will triumph over Bolton. Stannis will then join with Manderly's naval power (riding seahorses with mermen blowing seashells) to threaten Aegon and/or Daenerys, and possibly even Euron as the Second Dance of the Dragons reaches its crescendo. 

And they'll be joined by the river lords still allied with North...

"Under the sea, men marry fishes." Patchface did a little dance step, jingling his bells. "They do, they do, they do."

Jon XIII, Dance

Stannis's host of Nothmen and Rivermen will array for battle at the Trident. Their numbers will be swollen by Northern childless and homeless men, unwed men, old men, and younger sons coming for war, for adventure and plunder, and for a glorious death to spare their kin beyond the Neck one more mouth to feed (just like Creegan Stark's host in the Dance of the Dragons). Daenerys will meet them...

That night she dreamt she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurpers rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.

However, I think rather than burn this host she will take it for her own to fight Aegon. Recall how Stannis took Renly's power for his own...

"I beg you in the name of the Mother," Catelyn began when a sudden gust of wind flung open the door of the tent. She thought she glimpsed movement, but when she turned her head, it was only the king's shadow shifting against the silken walls. She heard Renly begin a jest, his shadow moving, lifting its sword, black on green, candles guttering, shivering, something was queer, wrong, and then she saw Renly's sword still in its scabbard, sheathed still, but the shadowsword . . .

"Cold," said Renly in a small puzzled voice, a heartbeat before the steel of his gorget parted like cheesecloth beneath the shadow of a blade that was not there. He had time to make a small thick gasp before the blood came gushing out of his throat.

Catelyn IV, Clash

We know that the North fought on the black side in the Dance of Dragons. And I seem to recall an old SSM where the George said the North tended to be loyalist after Torrhen knelt (or perhaps it was a post by Ran). We know that Daenerys is going to slay the lie that is Stannis or his claim. Perhaps Drogon, the shadow, will remove Stannis and Daenerys will claim Stannis's forces the way Stannis claimed Renly's.

It were the black one, the man said, in a Ghiscari growl, the winged shadow. He come down from the sky and and...

Daenerys I, Dance 2

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning . . . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?"

Davos V, Storm 54

That’s a very believable take on Stannis. I guess what your saying is that Stannis beats the Freys on the ice lake but word of his death still spreads throughout the North, and that Manderly now believes he must take matters into his own hands so he orchestrates the defeat of the Bolton’s and taking Winterfell back for the Stark loyalists perhaps Rickon...are you with me so far?

and then Manderly meets Stannis and sees that he’s still alive and bends the knee? Winter Wolves 2.0 head down through the neck or transport via Manderly ships and fight Aegon/Dany/Euron or some contingent of southron?

I believe Dany could likely incinerate Stannis and his army at the Trident, certainly some symbolism and irony there.

Where is the Vale during this?

Where is Jon Snow during this?

really good post tho I just have more questions lol

12 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

That’s a very believable take on Stannis. I guess what your saying is that Stannis beats the Freys on the ice lake but word of his death still spreads throughout the North, and that Manderly now believes he must take matters into his own hands so he orchestrates the defeat of the Bolton’s and taking Winterfell back for the Stark loyalists perhaps Rickon...are you with me so far?

and then Manderly meets Stannis and sees that he’s still alive and bends the knee? Winter Wolves 2.0 head down through the neck or transport via Manderly ships and fight Aegon/Dany/Euron or some contingent of southron?

Maybe. I have some more detailed thoughts on what is going on in the North, and what I see developing here. But your idea is interesting. 

I believe Dany could likely incinerate Stannis and his army at the Trident, certainly some symbolism and irony there.

No doubt. 

Where is the Vale during this?

I think the Vale is where the Stark sisters will find resolution to their conflict, and where Petyr will meet his end. Rather than hijack your thread, you can read those ideas here. But first I suspect that Sweet Robin will be sweetsleeped, and Bronze Yohn will challenge Petyr's control of the Vale through Sansa and Harrold, by making use of Timett. Since Tyrion promised to give the Vale to the clans, since a Lannister always pays his debts, since putting Timett in the high seat of the Arryns would satisfy that debt, and since Tyrion owes another kind of debt to Petyr, I expect to see Tyrion facilitate an alliance of the clans with the families of the Vale that trace their houses back to the First Men. 

Where is Jon Snow during this?

I think Jon is the promised prince, but his place is at the Wall, or maybe behind enemy lines if the Wall falls. 

At least that's what I am thinking. 

I have a sort of retrodiction that occurred to me a while ago -- that we'll eventually find out that Stannis died once before, and that Melisandre brought him back. I don't have much support for this other than "it's a feeling", but it kind of seems apt as a reason for Melisandre's absurd-seeming confidence in Stannis. (To make it really dramatic, Stannis could have found out about Cersei & Jamie, then beeen, say, poisoned or something, and reawakened as he was being spirited away to Dragonstone... but I guess I'd better stop it before I venture too far into fanfiction territory.)

Archived