NFL Offseason 2019: Gettleman Browns all over the Giants

Jace, Extat

Bears traded Jordan Howard to the Eagles for only a 6th round pick in 2020.  That’s pretty disappointing for a young RB with two monster seasons straight after being drafted, followed by a respectable third season in an offense that no longer suited him.  

I know the Bears were hindered by how obvious it was that they wanted to trade, and whoever gets him now gets only a single year left of his rookie contract before he’s probably looking at a big payday.  But considering the Eagles had a big need for depth at RB, I’m disappointed that wasn’t a third round pick in exchange.

Howard himself was a fifth round pick.  Hopefully the Bears can unearth another gem.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I don't know about y'all, but I would love having $250 million to burn on a new football league that even in the best possible scenario would never stand on its own as a viable entity. Not that I ever would do such a thing. Just the idea that someone would "invest" that kind of money into something like this boggles the mind.

Stories are running around saying this dude bought the league to gain the rights to a new form of tech that will make gambling way more profitable. Sounds like he decided to bail on the league and just take the tech.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stories are running around saying this dude bought the league to gain the rights to a new form of tech that will make gambling way more profitable. Sounds like he decided to bail on the league and just take the tech.

Ah, that makes sense. There had to be a lot more to it than the league.

Long piece today from Bleacher Report with lots of details on the dysfunction in Green Bay. In short: Mike McCarthy is a fart-huffing moron and Rodgers is a petty pissbaby, and their power struggles put everyone in an awkward position. I suspect if you're a Vikings or Bears fan, this will be the juiciest, most well-marbled Wagyu schadenfreude. As a person with no dog in this fight but who kept expecting my team to meet up with the Packers in the Super Bowl only to see them fuck it away numerous times, it's just amazing that they so thoroughly squandered the prime years of the most complete QB the league has seen in a long time.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

55 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Long piece today from Bleacher Report with lots of details on the dysfunction in Green Bay. In short: Mike McCarthy is a fart-huffing moron and Rodgers is a petty pissbaby, and their power struggles put everyone in an awkward position. I suspect if you're a Vikings or Bears fan, this will be the juiciest, most well-marbled Wagyu schadenfreude. As a person with no dog in this fight but who kept expecting my team to meet up with the Packers in the Super Bowl only to see them fuck it away numerous times, it's just amazing that they so thoroughly squandered the prime years of the most complete QB the league has seen in a long time.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Based on the article it seems like Rodgers himself was a big part of squandering it.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Based on the article it seems like Rodgers himself was a big part of squandering it.

Yeah, I used to be 100% Team Rodgers, because McCarthy really was a useless turd of a coach, but the fact that he came in holding a grudge against McCarthy because McCarthy had been the OC when San Francisco picked Alex Smith over him was mind-boggling. Mainly now I just shake my head that the team that should have been the Patriots of the NFC was more like the late-era Kobe Lakers.

The Green Bay story was a fun read. Long as shit too. I was surprised to read about how long Rodgers has hated McCarthy. Didn't realize McCarthy was the OC for the 49ers when they drafted Alex Smith, and commented on how he thought he was a better QB than Rodgers. He's definitely not a guy to let things go. Like DG said, to this day I'm shocked that we've never seen Packers/Pats in a SB. Damn shame. Packers shoulda beat the Hawks that one year they went into Seattle and were knocking them around, only to Atlanta Falcons all over the second half and run the ball religiously. 

When it comes down to it, in terms of who looks worse, I'd rather be an arrogant prick than a bumbling, lazy, moron. 

Mike McCarthy is and has always been totally mediocre.  But, it's pretty crazy in a league that is always in search of a good not even great QB, that Green Bay managed to squander the careers of two great QBs, back to back, that's some kind of an anti accomplishment.  I guess all those stories about Rogers as a diva were true and then some.  Oh well.  

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Mike McCarthy is and has always been totally mediocre.  

Mediocre is too kind. He ran one of the worst systems in the league. The WRs almost always run isolated routes, so they have to win their individual battles every time and it requires the QB to make a great throw. Contrast that with the teams that run a bunch of plays designed to create open targets. MM was just lucky he had two All-Time greats masking his crap. A league average QB would really struggle in his system, and we saw what happen when a backup level QB had to play for a long stretch of time.

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Mike McCarthy is and has always been totally mediocre.  But, it's pretty crazy in a league that is always in search of a good not even great QB, that Green Bay managed to squander the careers of two great QBs, back to back, that's some kind of an anti accomplishment.  I guess all those stories about Rogers as a diva were true and then some.  Oh well.  

They won Super Bowls with both of them, I wouldn’t quite call that squandered. More like underachieved. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

They won Super Bowls with both of them, I wouldn’t quite call that squandered. More like underachieved. 

I think, between Favre and Rodgers, they will have ended up with a 2-1 record in Super Bowls in almost, and soon to surpass, thirty years. That's a period of uninterrupted elite quarterback play that dwarfs New England's run and might surpass the Montana-Young years in San Francisco. Which is nice, but you'd at least hope for more appearances than that with first-ballot HoF quarterbacks and one HoF coach. 

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think, between Favre and Rodgers, they will have ended up with a 2-1 record in Super Bowls in almost, and soon to surpass, thirty years. That's a period of uninterrupted elite quarterback play that dwarfs New England's run and might surpass the Montana-Young years in San Francisco. Which is nice, but you'd at least hope for more appearances than that with first-ballot HoF quarterbacks and one HoF coach. 

Right. So underachievers. Squandered to me is more like Marino never winning a SB at all (or even getting back). 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Right. So underachievers. Squandered to me is more like Marino never winning a SB at all (or even getting back). 

I'd say squandered, in the original way I brought it up, in that they had ripe opportunities to get to the Super Bowl with the most talented quarterback of his generation in at least three years but shot themselves in the foot with squabbling or terrible in-game decisions. Any time you fuck away a Super Bowl appearance is a squandering. Aaron Rodgers made one Super Bowl. One third as many as Ben Roethlisberger, who plays in the same conference as the Patriots. That's squandering.

29 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd say squandered, in the original way I brought it up, in that they had ripe opportunities to get to the Super Bowl with the most talented quarterback of his generation in at least three years but shot themselves in the foot with squabbling or terrible in-game decisions. Any time you fuck away a Super Bowl appearance is a squandering. Aaron Rodgers made one Super Bowl. One third as many as Ben Roethlisberger, who plays in the same conference as the Patriots. That's squandering.

I guess. I’d kill for my team to be 2-1 in the SB though so it’s hard for me to feel too sorry for GB fans. :P

Yeah, but 25 plus years of first ballot hall of fame QBs and you only got 3 superbowl appearances...seems like you did squander someone's talent.  I would put this about 65% on McCarthy, even though Rogers does come off like a jerk, and those mysterious leadership skills are a thing.  I was pretty surprised so many people put their names to what was said in that article.

This seems to be a semantic debate - I agree that one could describe the Packers only getting two Super Bowls out of 27 seasons of Favre/Rodgers can be described as squandering.  But if we're gonna bitch about Rodgers shouldn't equally bitch about Favre?  After all, he was QB1 for 16 of those 27 seasons, and both only won one championship.  Relatedly, shouldn't Mike Sherman and Ray Rhodes' one season be criticized as much as McCarthy?  Recency bias!

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

This seems to be a semantic debate - I agree that one could describe the Packers only getting two Super Bowls out of 27 seasons of Favre/Rodgers can be described as squandering.  But if we're gonna bitch about Rodgers shouldn't equally bitch about Favre?  After all, he was QB1 for 16 of those 27 seasons, and both only won one championship.  Relatedly, shouldn't Mike Sherman and Ray Rhodes' one season be criticized as much as McCarthy?  Recency bias!

I think you also have to factor in just how hard it is to be consistently good as a team in the NFL.  The Pats are pretty much the only team that has been good pretty much every year for the past decade, and they absolutely appear to be the exception.  Even teams with good coaches and consistently good front offices tend to have a few bad years every decade.  Maybe your coach eventually gets left behind and fails to innovate as the league evolves like McCarthy.  Maybe you give out a bad extension or two that backfires, or sign the wrong free agent to too much guaranteed money.  Maybe a few of your players just get to that point where the relationship can't be mended, like Antonio Brown and Big Ben.  Maybe your star QB gets hurt and your back-up cracks under pressure.

There's a lot of room for fuck-ups in the NFL.  Many of them can be avoided with good management and coaching, but some can't.

Well boys it's been real. And it's been fun.

But it ain't been real fun.

I'm off to replace Gronkowsi. I don't want you all to think that I'm not hanging around anymore cause  I'm just going to be busy being this young man from some school playing for the Patriots or anything. No, I won't be around anymore because Bill has obviously recognized my jeanius and I'm just better than y'all. 

So I'd like to take this time, as I'm called up by the Pats to be Twammy's new woobie, to burn all of the bridges. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/patriots-bring-tight-end-jace-stenberger-in-for-a-visit/

@DanteGabriel you once used 'there' when 'their' was called for. As I have never EVER made any gramaticall mistake ever and definitely NOT in this very post I name you a fool!

@Rockroi despite our many disagreements it always will bring me peace and comfort to think about how Eli was in the grasp.

@briantw is the answer to whether we are alone in the universe.

@Jaime L was never as smart or good looking as @Maithanet who looks like glue and thinks like jell-o.

@Tywin et al. I rest my case.

@Triskele once told Aaron Rodgers to be less sensitive, setting off a chain of sensitivity.

@Nictarion is a Bengals fan. A BENGALS fan!!!

@Kalbear doesn't know The difference between Bernie Sanders and Bernie Madoff.

@Mexal once said that he'd rather have Andy Dalton and A.J. Geen instead of Andy Luck. Talk about a Sophie's choice.

@Bronn Stone plays Fantasy Football the way a tree plays tag.

@JJ Lannister is what I'd call my dog if I was angry.

@Ferrum Aeternum... I uh... Do we even have a made up beef? Your cooking skills leave room for improvement!!!

Archived