NFL Offseason 2019: Gettleman Browns all over the Giants

Jace, Extat

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I haven’t read up on it.... so can anyone explain why the Jets fired the GM a month after the draft?

And less than 2 months +/- after signing some huge free agent contracts?

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I haven’t read up on it.... so can anyone explain why the Jets fired the GM a month after the draft?

They’re obviously jealous of the Giants magical offseason. Don’t waste your time, Jets, you ain’t catching up.

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

Rumors are that he and Gase got into a power struggle, with the latter hating how much he was spending on players.

So in other words, the Jets are just being the Jets.  

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

New Yorkers I mean New Jersey...ians are that pissed about the NBA draft?

In seriousness, they probably should have done this before he signed LeVeon Bell and ran their draft, and hired a coach and GM in the same cycle, but Jets gonna Jet.

• 4 weeks later...

CNN quote about Von Miller organizing a "Pass Rusher Summit" of the most talented pass rushers. I think it's a brilliant idea.

Von Miller's pass-rusher summit—gathering the best in the league to one place and essentially having a position-specific think-tank exchange—is a pretty remarkable thing.

I've heard some coaches grumble that players shouldn't exchange ideas or techniques, that they should keep all their secrets—no matter how minor—to themselves. It's an old-school way of thinking and likely doesn't represent the future.

In fact, I've heard from agents how other positions want to do the same thing. One thing I heard is there might be some type of wide receiver summit.

That would be fun.

22 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Also, Raiders on Hard Knocks! Gruden, AB, Burfict, Incognito, Bowlcut Davis, the Vegas move... They may have to lengthen the episodes just to contain all the storylines.

Remember when he threw weights at a guy because he was stealing the government codes via Bluetooth? If I’m HBO, I’m bringing an entire second team to just watch him.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Remember when he threw weights at a guy because he was stealing the government codes via Bluetooth? If I’m HBO, I’m bringing an entire second team to just watch him.

To be serious for a minute, I think it's borderline irresponsible for the Raiders to take Incognito on after what he's done in the last couple of years. But I am also enough of a dick to be really curious what happens when he and Burfict start colliding at practice.

In more light-hearted violent news, my favorite Patriots off-season story is that Belichick took the team out for paintball at the end of OTAs and shot Kyle Van Noy in the face.

I have a confession... for the past three months I have read the topic title as Gentleman Browns all over the Giants. I had never quite made sense of it, but just went with it.

Only today did I realize it says Gettleman. :blush:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Page four? With less than 50 days to go? Shocking. Almost as shocking as Hill getting no suspension, which is what I came here to report.

It gets harder to enjoy this league by the year. I'm not gonna pretend I won't watch, but I'm canceling my Sunday Ticket. I'll watch the Colts from a bar unless they're on prime time. It's not much, and it's not enough, but there it is.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It gets harder to enjoy this league by the year. I'm not gonna pretend I won't watch, but I'm canceling my Sunday Ticket. I'll watch the Colts from a bar unless they're on prime time. It's not much, and it's not enough, but there it is.

Idk, I long ago made peace with the fact I'm watching a gladiator sport, and that the brain damage suffered from it will occasionally lead to situations like this. If the police can't get it right, there's no way the league ever will. They simply aren't equipped to handle cases of domestic violence, And really they're in a hard place. If you make the punishments too severe, women will be disinclined to go to the police. But if you're too lenient, nothing will change either. I wish I had a solution for you, but alas, I don't.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, I long ago made peace with the fact I'm watching a gladiator sport, and that the brain damage suffered from it will occasionally lead to situations like this. If the police can't get it right, there's no way the league ever will. They simply aren't equipped to handle cases of domestic violence, And really they're in a hard place. If you make the punishments too severe, women will be disinclined to go to the police. But if you're too lenient, nothing will change either. I wish I had a solution for you, but alas, I don't.

I feel like I could make peace with that if the league didn't arbitrarily hand out career ending penalties for doing things that aren't illegal. The wild inconsistencies make it hard for me to assign comparative evaluations. 

Like I said, I'm not gonna stop watching. But the league acts like it goes out of its way to be a signal of virtue and blah blah blah. Then does nothing when it doesn't serve their interests. I could handle not doing anything at all, it's the sick masquerade I can't stand. So I'm gonna give my money to a bar to see the Colts games. 

If they want my cash they can take the step of offering a package I can get on my computer like a 21st century fucking business.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh, that's a lot of bullshit. 

The NFL can make the punishments severe. The problem has never been women going to the police (or not). The problem has been that the NFL has often, repeatedly, been active in covering it up as much as possible. 

But at the very least, give those partners that power. If they don't want to report it, that's on them - but if they have the leverage of 'if I report it, you get to lose your fucking career' I guarantee you things will get a whole hell of a lot better. 

On 7/19/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kalbear said:

Oh, that's a lot of bullshit. 

The NFL can make the punishments severe. The problem has never been women going to the police (or not). The problem has been that the NFL has often, repeatedly, been active in covering it up as much as possible. 

But at the very least, give those partners that power. If they don't want to report it, that's on them - but if they have the leverage of 'if I report it, you get to lose your fucking career' I guarantee you things will get a whole hell of a lot better. 

I'm not so sure about that. It could easily swing either way. I could see a lot of wives/GFs/baby mommas not going to the police and the league because they know they're risking the end of the money train. And we've seen examples before where the women make a strong initial statement against the player only to either recant or refuse to work with the police and the league. Sure some women will be empowered to report due to strong consequences for the player, but I think too harsh a punishment will cause a lot of women not to come forward. 

The thing I don't get is (as a Cowboys fan I am biased) how Zeke Elliot got 6 games and was never arrested, even the NFL's investigators didn't find much other than inconsistencies!

This guy has a history of violence, somehow the kids arm got broken, has him on tape threatening her and he gets nothing?

Archived