Jace, Basilissa

NFL Offseason 2019: Gettleman Browns all over the Giants

So I know we have this chat regularly about longevity vs best seasons production, and I think Jamaal Charles might be one of the most extreme cases we'll see.  Charles always struggled with injuries, and even early in his career he missed an entire season (2011).  But from 2008-2012, he averaged an astonishing 5.8 y/a.  His average went down to a still excellent 5.4 y/a for his whole career as his body wore down.  For the record, that 5.4 y/a is still the highest in NFL history of any running back with at least 1,000 carries. 

Quick quiz: how many combined individual seasons did HoF running backs Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Emmett Smith and LaDanian Tomlinson have in their careers that met or exceeded 5.4 y/a?

Spoiler

None.

So is it fair to assume at this point that nothing is going to happen to Hill?

On 5/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, Tywin et al. said:

So is it fair to assume at this point that nothing is going to happen to Hill?

Are you trying to make an ass of U and Me?

Posted (edited)

One of my favorite Saturday Night Live moments came right after the Clinton impeachment fizzled out.

Daryl Hammond as Clinton walked out to a pedestal, looked at the camera, gave the closed fist thumbs up, bit his lip, and said in a perfect Clinton drawl “I. Am. Bulletproof.”

Clinton has nothing on Robert Kraft.

Edited by Rhom

God you gotta feel for the Knicks/Jets fans…….

Not. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I haven’t read up on it.... so can anyone explain why the Jets fired the GM a month after the draft?

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I haven’t read up on it.... so can anyone explain why the Jets fired the GM a month after the draft?

And less than 2 months +/- after signing some huge free agent contracts?

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

They’re obviously jealous of the Giants magical offseason. Don’t waste your time, Jets, you ain’t catching up.

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

Rumors are that he and Gase got into a power struggle, with the latter hating how much he was spending on players.

So in other words, the Jets are just being the Jets.  

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

New Yorkers I mean New Jersey...ians are that pissed about the NBA draft?

In seriousness, they probably should have done this before he signed LeVeon Bell and ran their draft, and hired a coach and GM in the same cycle, but Jets gonna Jet.

CNN quote about Von Miller organizing a "Pass Rusher Summit" of the most talented pass rushers. I think it's a brilliant idea.

Von Miller's pass-rusher summit—gathering the best in the league to one place and essentially having a position-specific think-tank exchange—is a pretty remarkable thing.

I've heard some coaches grumble that players shouldn't exchange ideas or techniques, that they should keep all their secrets—no matter how minor—to themselves. It's an old-school way of thinking and likely doesn't represent the future.

In fact, I've heard from agents how other positions want to do the same thing. One thing I heard is there might be some type of wide receiver summit.

That would be fun.

Early reports are Dak is going to get around $34m per year, but so many details remain to be seen. That makes the Cousins’ deal look cheap, lol.

Also, Raiders on Hard Knocks! Gruden, AB, Burfict, Incognito, Bowlcut Davis, the Vegas move... They may have to lengthen the episodes just to contain all the storylines.

22 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Also, Raiders on Hard Knocks! Gruden, AB, Burfict, Incognito, Bowlcut Davis, the Vegas move... They may have to lengthen the episodes just to contain all the storylines.

Remember when he threw weights at a guy because he was stealing the government codes via Bluetooth? If I’m HBO, I’m bringing an entire second team to just watch him.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Remember when he threw weights at a guy because he was stealing the government codes via Bluetooth? If I’m HBO, I’m bringing an entire second team to just watch him.

To be serious for a minute, I think it's borderline irresponsible for the Raiders to take Incognito on after what he's done in the last couple of years. But I am also enough of a dick to be really curious what happens when he and Burfict start colliding at practice.

In more light-hearted violent news, my favorite Patriots off-season story is that Belichick took the team out for paintball at the end of OTAs and shot Kyle Van Noy in the face.

Edited by DanteGabriel

I have a confession... for the past three months I have read the topic title as Gentleman Browns all over the Giants. I had never quite made sense of it, but just went with it.

Only today did I realize it says Gettleman. :blush: