Do You Think Sam Will Forge His Chain?

Three-Fingered Pete

Another thread got me thinking; will Sam forge his maester's chain? In the original scheme, with the five year gap, I think that this was the plan. Sam would have had enough time to do this without it seeming forced. Now though, I'm not so sure. He may be at the Citadel just long enough to find out what he needs to know and then I figure he'll beat tracks back to the Wall. We can't have the ultimate fight against the Others without the Slayer, right? Or maybe he'll cower in a corner and just send a raven.

Thoughts?

Sam is the author surrogate character, right? So I figure he'll get his first three links fairly quickly, then his fourth and fifth take a little longer, then he gets sidetracked by an adventure with Jaqen and Alleras, and maybe by the time Summer starts he's a full fledged maester. 

5 hours ago, Makk said:

No. I believe Euron is about to sack old town including the citadel. 

Interesting. Euron likes to collect people and objects that have arcane knowledge and properties. Sam was sent to the Citadel to search for arcane knowledge and possibly arcane objects. And he already has special knowledge lost to his contemporaries.

Perhaps Sam is abducted by Euron, who is then convinced by him to join the fight at the Wall? After the prerequisite five hundred pages of pain, suffering and misdirection of our current protagonist, ala Arya in the Riverlands, of course.

He might forge a few links, but I don’t think Sam’s Oldtown chapters are likely to devolve into Westerosi Hogwarts, I think the focus will more be Sam’s interactions with the Maesters, with Marwyn’s little group (Pate And Alleras) And looking for what’s info he can find on the Others to help him. 

I suspect you are right about the five year gap though, likely we would pick up with Sam in Oldtown having forged several links of his chain already

33 minutes ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Interesting. Euron likes to collect people and objects that have arcane knowledge and properties. Sam was sent to the Citadel to search for arcane knowledge and possibly arcane objects. And he already has special knowledge lost to his contemporaries.

Perhaps Sam is abducted by Euron, who is then convinced by him to join the fight at the Wall? After the prerequisite five hundred pages of pain, suffering and misdirection of our current protagonist, ala Arya in the Riverlands, of course.

Oh Boy! I can't think of anything more horrific.  That would be right up GRRM's alley. 

16 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Another thread got me thinking; will Sam forge his maester's chain? In the original scheme, with the five year gap, I think that this was the plan. Sam would have had enough time to do this without it seeming forced. Now though, I'm not so sure. He may be at the Citadel just long enough to find out what he needs to know and then I figure he'll beat tracks back to the Wall. We can't have the ultimate fight against the Others without the Slayer, right? Or maybe he'll cower in a corner and just send a raven.

Thoughts?

Sam’s a maester tutored son of a great lord, he’s into reading and had done some apprenticing to Maester Aemon which involved some work related to chain links.

He’ll no doubt forge links regarding ravenry, history and maybe even sums rather quick, perhaps even more.

17 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Thoughts?

I agree. Originally he would have forged his chain. Now - who knows? He will prob stay just long enough to advance the story as needed and then bounce. 

I keep thinking (without a good reason) that GRRM is going to majorly alter what happened compared to that thing we don't discuss. The possibilities are insane. Could he end up inadvertently going to Essos with Marwyn on the Cinnamon Wind? The Euron idea is awesome - I could see him keeping Sam to further his own goals. Could a Hightower introduction via the glass candles be a thing potentially? Could he meet the FM in the Citadel? 

18 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Thoughts?

Agree with you here: Originally he would have forged his chain, without the five year gap and Euron coming there isn't enough time. May be, he will be captured by Euron, as you suggested.

But it is also possible that Sam flees Oldtown over land, which would give Martin a chance to give us a really long travelogue. ;)

I'm also with @Impbread that we will not even have the time for a link or two, as not even Alleras managed to get them that quick.

1 hour ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Could he end up inadvertently going to Essos with Marwyn on the Cinnamon Wind?

I don't think so. Marwyn is departing at the end of Sam's POV; I think he will pay the captain of the Cinnamon Wind a high sum to leave the harbour at once, and as they won't simply dump Gilly on the docks, she will most likely have to travel with them. Sam would be only able to catch up with Marwyn if he either leaves immediately or if it is no longer possible to leave the harbour due to Ironbound.

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Sam’s a maester tutored son of a great lord, he’s into reading and had done some apprenticing to Maester Aemon which involved some work related to chain links.

He’ll no doubt forge links regarding ravenry, history and maybe even sums rather quick, perhaps even more.

Yeah, Sam is sort of the Wesley Crusher of Westeros will all his firsthand experience and all. That may indeed speed up the forging of one or two links.

2 hours ago, Potsk said:

We won't ever see him become a full maester unless there's a timejump epilogue.

Oh, when it's all over and done and if the realm (and Sam) survives, I fully expect him to forge his full chain. Hell, by then Sam may very well be the Last Jedi.

1 hour ago, Morte said:

But it is also possible that Sam flees Oldtown over land, which would give Martin a chance to give us a really long travelogue. ;)

That could also eat up about five hundred pages. I kind of have a bad feeling on this since Sam's journey down was pretty uneventful. Something tells me his journey back won't be so easy.

Earning a chain ---- Sam has a rather thick neck --- how many links does Sam need to earn to drape the chain around his neck?

Is there some sorta conspiracy going on? I mean rumor has it Alleras is Sarella Sand of Dorne.

Marwyn before he hurries off tells Sam to hurry up and forge that chain so that Sam can get back to the Wall.

Feast for Crows - Samwell V     "Get myself to Slaver's Bay, in Aemon's place. The swan ship that delivered Slayer should serve my needs well enough. The grey sheep will send their man on a galley, I don't doubt. With fair winds I should reach her first." Marwyn glanced at Sam again, and frowned. "You . . . you should stay and forge your chain. If I were you, I would do it quickly. A time will come when you'll be needed on the Wall." He turned to the pasty-faced novice. "Find Slayer a dry cell. He'll sleep here, and help you tend the ravens."/

In this instance, I am of the opinion Sam gets his citadel PHD near the end of WoW or the beginning of DoS.

20 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Isn't Euron pretty much already at Oldtown? I don't know what his plan is exactly, but whatever the aftermath is I cant see Sam simply just staying in the Citadel training to become a Maester. 

We don't really know where Euron is 99% of the time.  He tells Damphair he is sailing South for plunder and dragons.  He stops at the Shields long enough to impregnate a girl.  Then, 4 or 5 months later, when the girl is visibly pregnant, he is at the Arbor.  Who knows where he was in the months in between.

5 hours ago, Morte said:

Agree with you here: Originally he would have forged his chain, without the five year gap and Euron coming there isn't enough time. May be, he will be captured by Euron, as you suggested.

I'm also with @Impbread that we will not even have the time for a link or two, as not even Alleras managed to get them that quick.

I don't think so. Marwyn is departing at the end of Sam's POV; I think he will pay the captain of the Cinnamon Wind a high sum to leave the harbour at once, and as they won't simply dump Gilly on the docks, she will most likely have to travel with them. Sam would be only able to catch up with Marwyn if he either leaves immediately or if it is no longer possible to leave the harbour due to Ironbound.

This shows up a lot and I never understood how leaving Gilly in Oldtown is more dangerous than sailing past Euron, across half the world, and right into the teeth of Slavers Bay...with one ship.

And no, Sam doesn't have enough time to forge a chain maybe ravenry and history though.

Archived