Basilisk Isles have "mud-and-blood towns"

Laguna

I was reading the article about the Basilisk Isles and stumbled upon the expression "mud-and-blood towns". What does mud-and-blood mean? Towns close to dangerously swampy places? Like Greywater Watch? English is not my first language and google wasn't helpful - not at all. Urbandictionary mentioned women on toilets. Then apparently there's a video game called Mud and Blood and the rest of the search results where about Harry Potter. Please, I'm just curious.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:17 PM, Laguna said:

I was reading the article about the Basilisk Isles and stumbled upon the expression "mud-and-blood towns". What does mud-and-blood mean? Towns close to dangerously swampy places? Like Greywater Watch? English is not my first language and google wasn't helpful - not at all. Urbandictionary mentioned women on toilets. Then apparently there's a video game called Mud and Blood and the rest of the search results where about Harry Potter. Please, I'm just curious.

TWOIAF provides this explanation:

Unsurprisingly, Sothoryos is thinly peopled when compared to Westeros or Essos. A score of small trade towns cling to the northern coast—towns of mud and blood, as some say: wet and humid and full of misery, where adventurers, rogues, exiles, and whores from the Free Cities and the Seven Kingdoms come to make their fortunes.

Could you tell me which page exactly you read this term on?

Archived