The High Sparrow's Plan

Euron III Greyjoy

23 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

To serve his gods.  It's what the strong of faith want.  Helping the poor is incidental.  A religious man is loyal to his gods. 

Assuming everything went his way, do you think he would eventually try to spread the teachings of the Faith into the North, or do you think he'd leave them to their Old Gods?

Sure the High Sparrow is religious. However, his actions suggest that he is more than just a pious man and has ambitions besides simply preaching the faith. This is not simply about being a good follower of the seven. He has a socio-political agenda.

2 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Assuming everything went his way, do you think he would eventually try to spread the teachings of the Faith into the North, or do you think he'd leave them to their Old Gods?

I could see some Albigensian Crusade like attempt to prevent the North from worshiping the OG.

Especially if the position of High Sparrow attains Pope like powers.

A crusade like incursion to recover Andalos would be awesome.

8 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I could see some Albigensian Crusade like attempt to prevent the North from worshiping the OG.

Especially if the position of High Sparrow attains Pope like powers.

It would be more like the Northern Crusades by against the Pagan Slavs an Baltic peoples. The Albigensian was against fellow Christians (albeit "heretics" in the eyes of the RCC).

The High Sparrow is a true believer who has no real plan other than to serve the gods. If the realm was ruled by a true and pious king he wouldn't have attempted to take any power from it.

Thing is, he's in a bit of a bind, he's not sure what to do, what the gods want. The current administration is a godless heathen mess, the gods surely don't want that, but then what do they want? He's just doing the hard yards, sorting through the muck as best he can, waiting, hoping, praying that the gods will send him the answer.

And what do you know? Into his lap is about to fall a brand new shiny Aegon. The answer to all his prayers. The gods are good! Varys is good more like.

15 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

It would be more like the Northern Crusades by against the Pagan Slavs an Baltic peoples. The Albigensian was against fellow Christians (albeit "heretics" in the eyes of the RCC).

Touche. You are right. 

A more Albigensian like action would be against the Dornish for their outlook on sexual partners - or something. A perceived Heresy, instead of perceived heathens who worship different god/gods...

I think, after experiencing the atrocities of war firsthand, he's looking to bring down the ruling class and establish the Faith as the leading power in Westeros. I think he, rightly, recognizes that the current system is not working and is to the detriment of the majority of the people who live in Westeros, but wrongly thinks that the replacement system should be armed religion. 

A lot of you believe the HS is only about worshiping the gods ......  That is FALSE he cares about the gods but he also has a political scheme in mind which will allow HIM to gain more power not only just the faith. 

I also believe IMO he hates the nobility of Westeros and is really interested in breaking the wheel of oppression to the smallfolk. 

7 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

A lot of you believe the HS is only about worshiping the gods ......  That is FALSE he cares about the gods but he also has a political scheme in mind which will allow HIM to gain more power not only just the faith. 

I also believe IMO he hates the nobility of Westeros and is really interested in breaking the wheel of oppression to the smallfolk. 

Oh he wants power.  He would rather be the power behind the throne than a theocratic ruler but he does not want to be a tame High Septon tending only to spiritual matters.  The refounding of the Order of the Stars and Swords shows that clearly.  The struggle taking place between him and Cersei seems grounded in the medieval papacy's power struggle with the Holy Roman Emperor and other European monarchs.

What's not clear is how revolutionary he is.  If he settles for tending to the needs of the poor (in the face of the neglect of the monarchy and nobility to do so) and squeezing money and concessions out of the Crown to better the position and status of the Church he'll be tolerated as a potential ally.  If he seeks to make more millenarian changes or to redistribute property he'll run into the same backlash that any social movement or peasant's revolt did in a highly hierarchical society with power, wealth and military expertise concentrated in the Crown and nobilty.  I'm not convinced he's a Savonarola type figure though: he may be a zealot with more limited goals (if that's not a contradiction in terms!), wary of risking what he's already gained through overreach.  Treatment of Margaery Tyrell will settle that one as making an enemy out of Mace with potentially 100,000 men at his call is a good way to judge the flexibility of his aims and convictions.

19 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I think we're actually likely to see the opposite -- a huge influx of R'hllor worshippers from Essos that tramples over the Faith by sheer number and fanaticism. Volantis is clearly due a slave revolt, and I wouldn't be surprised if Melisandre (or some other Red Priestess) brings lots of freshly converted ex-slaves across the Narrow Sea all the way from ex-Slaver's Bay.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:10 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

What is it that the High Sparrow wants to achieve? Is it just simply for the Faith to have the power they had before Maegor?

Sure he wants to push his beliefs on the people.  He's not completely bad.  He wants to help his flock.  But his goal is to spread his beliefs.  He wants a church run state.

Archived