U.S. Politics: Impoverished In Squalor

lokisnow

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Separately, we are now seeing negative yields on German bonds, and the global outlook is iffy.  Fed has signaled that rates are staying put.  There is softness....how does this play into our economy and by immediate extension 2020?

The biggest known unknown is Brexit.  If they crash out with No Deal, that is an immediate economic problem for Britain, and to a lesser extent Europe and the US.  Could easily be the kind of turning point needed to tip off a downturn. 

22 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Who gets to be Delores Umbridge?  Pleaseletitbemitch.

Mitch is Fudge

Devos is Delores

Trump is Quirrell

Putin is Voldemort

Is McCain Snape? There aren’t many options for this role…..

20 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Trump did when he fired him. Then his testimony is like the memories that told Harry what he needed to know.

So Mueller is Harry I guess?

Comey is more like Mad Eye Moody.

Mueller is some random Auror.

Harry isn’t a person. He’s a state of mind. As is Malfoy.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The biggest known unknown is Brexit.  If they crash out with No Deal, that is an immediate economic problem for Britain, and to a lesser extent Europe and the US.  Could easily be the kind of turning point needed to tip off a downturn. 

One has to think that is where we are heading - feels like an almost inevitable no-deal in May courtesy of May.  So, would have thought basically priced in?

And yes, Sessions is for sure Kreacher.

So who is Bellatrix?  In the running:  K. Conway, Ivanka, S. Huckabee Sanders, others?

Also, Narcissa = Melania? or Nikki Haley?

this is for him all about loyalty, and McCain showed no loyalty to Trump, and thus must be punished.

a decent article in new left review (dylan riley, 'what is trump?' NLR 114 (nov/dec 2018)) on this point:

But if ‘fascism’, however qualified, is a misleading category for grasping this presidency, what is a better conceptual approach? Here it may be useful to recall Weber’s three forms of rule, each with its own apparatus of domination and logic of legitimation: the charismatic, the patrimonial and the bureaucratic. Where Trump has had room to determine the character of the Executive, he has operated less as a modern-bureaucratic party leader than as a patrimonial household head. In Weber’s description:

The patrimonial office lacks above all the bureaucratic separation of the ‘private’ and the ‘official’ sphere. For the political administration, too, is treated as a purely personal affair of the ruler, and political power is considered part of his personal property, which can be exploited by means of contributions and fees.

Yet patrimonialism, in this understanding of it—government run as a household, with little if any distinction between the public and private interests of the ruler, whose favours secure the allegiance of dependents and followers—was a form of rule designed for pre-modern, pre-capitalist societies, in which the ideological weight of ‘tradition’ could suffice to legitimate the process of domination. In the later Roman Empire and medieval Europe, this system could organize entire realms. Trump’s notion of government is precisely patrimonial, in this sense. For him, the relationship of the staff to the leader is not an impersonal commitment to the office of state but ‘a servant’s loyalty, based on a strictly personal relationship’. In short, it is familial. Bonds of purely personal loyalty bind the seedy milieu of lumpen-millionaires (Ross and Kushner inside the Administration, Thomas Barrack outside) and hangers-on of various sorts (Miller, Whitaker) to Trump. Yet he is practising this style of rule at the head of a modern capitalist state. This is an inherently paradoxical combination.

and DJT is aunt marge in the harry potter roman à clef.

54 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Biden be Ron

Hermione is Clinton

Ew. You owe Biden and Hernione apologies.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

#NotMyHermione

Also, can we all at least agree that nobody is anybody from these new, awful prequels?

What because that would violate the high standards of this White House?

Also Belatrix is Ann Coulter, duh. Jeez, you people...

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It can’t be Ivanka. That would imply she’s related to someone who is good.  

Tonks (AOC) and Sirius (and I guess, eventually, Narcissa)?  I dunno, I think that her frenemyship with Chelsea Clinton sort of counts?  Bellatrix is pretty bad - she's the third most evil person in the entire series IMO, relatives aside.  But if you think it is canon, maybe she is more like Delphi Diggory?

But under your reasoning, maybe KC is a better fit?  

19 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Ew. You owe Biden and Hernione apologies.

:lmao:

What because that would violate the high standards of this White House?

Jeez, I didn’t realize I was speaking to the President of the Jake Lloyd fan club….

Also Belatrix is Ann Coulter, duh. Jeez, you people...

Coulter turned on Trump. She’s Narcissa.  

21 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Tonks (AOC) and Sirius (and I guess, eventually, Narcissa)?  I dunno, I think that her frenemyship with Chelsea Clinton sort of counts?  Bellatrix is pretty bad - she's the third most evil person in the entire series IMO, relatives aside.  But if you think it is canon, maybe she is more like Delphi Diggory?

But under your reasoning, maybe KC is a better fit?  

Nerdgasim  much?

I’ll take a stab at this.

Kellyanne is Nagini.

SHS is Bellatrix.

And Pence is Pettigrew.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Out of all the potential candidates that have been discussed the last few months, I can't think of a more tone-deaf response than nominating Biden.  Might as well run Clinton again, or Howard Schultz or Bloomberg.   Biden is not the future and he's not going to beat Trump.

Yeah his candidacy will be like that blank avatar people have if they don't choose one.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, it is. I own about a dozen pairs of shoes, and they're all more expensive than MZ's cougar heels. Invest in your shoes brah.

Uh, k.  I'd be much more embarrassed admitting I had 12 pairs of shoes than admitting I had none.  I have two pairs of dress shoes and sandals.  My sneakers I've had for about a decade wore out a few months back, and haven't gotten around to replacing them.  Which is kind of silly when I go out to smoke at my apartment complex, but other than that doesn't really affect anything in my life.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I think you're way overthinking. Trump attacking McCain is just him settling scores. He loves that. 

Yep, exactly.  There's no political calculus here.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

He's in the "ranting at JFK's portrait" phase of his Presidency.

Great movie reference, but isn't Trump's entire presidency the "ranting at JFK's portrait" phase?

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Separately, we are now seeing negative yields on German bonds, and the global outlook is iffy.  Fed has signaled that rates are staying put.  There is softness....how does this play into our economy and by immediate extension 2020?

Yeah from people I talk to that are way smarter than me about this, they anticipate Germany is going to go down soon, and that will be the initial indicator of global strife (I won't say recession because some wouldn't want to predict that exactly).  And yes, I think this is all very likely to at least play a significant role for 2020, which is nothing but bad news for the incumbent.

Archived