Sign in to follow this  
lokisnow

U.S. Politics: Impoverished In Squalor

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Trump is contradiction personified. Simultaneously a cunt with no warmth and a dick with no balls.

And I see he also announced today that high student debt was unfair and he would work on that problem right away. The guy who cancelled  loan forgiveness programs and other things helpful for students, right?

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

No kind of expert on shoes at all, but to me, those look...cheap.  Like they'd disintegrate after the second mud puddle.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

And I see he also announced today that high student debt was unfair and he would work on that problem right away. The guy who cancelled  loan forgiveness programs and other things helpful for students, right?

It sounds like one of the things that is being proposed is limiting the loans that the Feds will lend out.  If that happens I'm guessing that it forces a lot of schools to lower costs accordingly, and so this might not be a terrible thing because there are no doubt problems with the status quo where the schools have every incentive to charge a lot.  

Remains to be seen what other kinds of changes they might have in store on existing repayment plans or forgiveness programs. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It sounds like one of the things that is being proposed is limiting the loans that the Feds will lend out.  If that happens I'm guessing that it forces a lot of schools to lower costs accordingly, and so this might not be a terrible thing because there are no doubt problems with the status quo where the schools have every incentive to charge a lot.  

Remains to be seen what other kinds of changes they might have in store on existing repayment plans or forgiveness programs. 

I just read Trump's proposal. It looks pathetic, to me. It does literally nothing for student debtors. Part 1, they reduce the repayment plans allowed from 6 to 2. This is supposed to be simpler, but in reality it reduces options. A lot depends on how good the income-based plan they include is.  But basically it looks like they are doing very little here and pretending they are doing something.

Part 2 of the Trump plan is setting limits on what students can borrow. This has nothing to do with helping debtors, first of all. Note, they it is not said what limits these would be and who they would apply to. Also, there are already limits in place on what a student can borrow. This just looks like a conservative attempt to cut Americans off from loans, with of course the goal of passing that money on as tax cuts to the wealthy, as is always their goal in everything. And again it does not address student debtors at all.

And yes,  @Fragile Bird   their record on student loans is less than stellar.

Really, they should set all loan payment at 10 % income and get it over with. That or do a large forgiveness. None of this will happen though as long as Trump is President, because conservatives get off on debtors suffering. It's their bread and butter.

Edited by Martell Spy

Well I agree that this stuff doesn't help existing student debtors at all.  It might prevent some future borrowers from getting into bad situations, but yeah, it could also prevent some folks from getting into good situations too.  

Am I wrong that nothing can really change all that much without congress or does that only apply to certain things like PSLF because that was passed by Congress in 2007 but other things like the existing income-based repayment plans can be changed by Dept of Education?  

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Well I agree that this stuff doesn't help existing student debtors at all.  It might prevent some future borrowers from getting into bad situations, but yeah, it could also prevent some folks from getting into good situations too.  

Am I wrong that nothing can really change all that much without congress or does that only apply to certain things like PSLF because that was passed by Congress in 2007 but other things like the existing income-based repayment plans can be changed by Dept of Education?  

You are probably right that it would take an act of Congress, but the Trump admin has not even made an attempt. Because they don't want to and it would take work to pull off even if they wanted to. They could get Congress to slip in something positive right now, but they don't want to twist the arms required or work with Democrats on it. The payment plans were slipped into the ACA. 

There has been nothing but bad faith coming from the Trump admin when it comes to student loans. There's a long record of bullshit. 

“It speaks to the Department of Education’s unwillingness or inability to follow the basic law around how federal agencies conduct themselves,” said Toby Merrill, who directs the Harvard Law School’s Project on Predatory Student Lending, which has brought some of the lawsuits against DeVos.

Every administration has wins and losses in court, Merrill said, but most have done better at making sure they follow the legal rules of the road for rulemaking.

“At the very least, they cross their Ts and dot their Is and therefore are less vulnerable to some of the procedural challenges that have been the undoing of so many of this Department of Education’s policies,” she said.

In rejecting the Trump administration’s efforts to delay the policies, judges have largely focused on procedural problems. The federal judge striking down DeVos’ postponement of student loan regulations called her delays “unlawful,” “procedurally invalid” and “arbitrary and capricious.” The judge who rejected the delay of a special education rule faulted DeVos for failing to provide a “reasoned explanation” for stopping the policy.

Betsy DeVos strikes out — in court
Judges have rebuffed the education secretary’s attempts to pause or change a range of Obama-era policies.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/21/devos-roll-back-obama-policies-1288782

Vietnam Veteran Ex-Senator Tells Donald Trump How To Silence Bone Spur Doubters
Nebraska Democrat Bob Kerrey tore into Trump for repeated attacks on the late Sen. John McCain.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-john-mccain-bob-kerrey-vietnam-x-ray-bone-spurs_n_5c933db2e4b0d952b223753a

Former Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.) demanded that President Donald Trump present the nation with X-rays of his feet to prove once and for all the bone spurs in his heels he claimed for a medical exemption from the Vietnam War draft.

Kerrey, a former Navy SEAL who lost part of his right leg during the war, said on Wednesday’s broadcast of CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360°” that “you don’t grow out of bone spurs.” If Trump had them in the 1960s, Kerrey said, he’d still have them now (unless he underwent surgery, which Trump has never mentioned).

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can't believe this.  Now I'm getting ads on this site for womens shoes.  Skynet has already taken over.

Not just any women's shoes. But women's shoes in the $100 price range.

That's more than I've spent on all men shoes in the last 6 years.

And more than I've spent on women's shoes in the last 8 years. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That's more than I've spent

I don't even want to begin to calculate how little I've spent on shoes in comparison.  It's not endearing, more just pathetic.

16 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

And I thought you were sole-less...

Well done.

Edited by DMC
Begin not being

Posted (edited)

It's getting to be that conspiracy hour, so I may be up my own ass here and reading in too much to what is probably just the unstoppable encroachment of senility onto what was already a deeply diseased mind, but anybody think Trump's renewed diatribe about McCain might be an attempt at keeping Biden out of the race? I know part of the reason he stepped away from politics for a bit was to spend time with family and kind of come to terms with his son's death. This does kind of send a message about how ugly this campaign is going to be on families. I know they were friends, Biden and McCain.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

5 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

but anybody think Trump's renewed diatribe about McCain might be an attempt at keeping Biden out of the race?

Nope.  Just got pretty high and I still don't see the connection.

Stay the fuck away, Joe Biden.  Out of all the potential candidates that have been discussed the last few months, I can't think of a more tone-deaf response than nominating Biden.  Might as well run Clinton again, or Howard Schultz or Bloomberg.   Biden is not the future and he's not going to beat Trump.

15 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I can't believe this.  Now I'm getting ads on this site for womens shoes.  Skynet has already taken over.

I know right. Damn you MZ for getting Zappos into my life. Now I get Stugotz's pain!

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Not just any women's shoes. But women's shoes in the $100 price range.

That's more than I've spent on all men shoes in the last 6 years.

And more than I've spent on women's shoes in the last 8 years. 

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't even want to begin to calculate how little I've spent on shoes in comparison.  It's not endearing, more just pathetic.

Yes, it is. I own about a dozen pairs of shoes, and they're all more expensive than MZ's cougar heels. Invest in your shoes brah.

Be Mike Trout, not Bryce Harper:

Also, I hope to god you two aren’t being cheap with your suits. Those things pay for themselves if you get a few nice ones.

Posted (edited)

It is surprising to me that Trump sees attacking McCain as a winning play.  I think this is for him all about loyalty, and McCain showed no loyalty to Trump, and thus must be punished.  But I feel like if you were going to attack a Republican to show other Republicans they need to stay in line, attacking Bush would make a lot more sense (or Romney, or even Murkowski).  McCain is primarily remembered as a war hero, going after him after he died is just strange. 

Trump has only gotten the usual ineffectual tut-tuting from concerned Republicans, because they don't want to go to bat for a dead man, but this is exactly the kind of thing that keeps Trumps approval rating at 41% in spite of a growing economy.  I've no doubt that a big portion (possibly a majority) of Republicans and Independents don't like seeing this and just wish Trump would stop.

Edited by Maithanet

I think you're way overthinking. Trump attacking McCain is just him settling scores. He loves that. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is surprising to me that Trump sees attacking McCain as a winning play.  I think this is for him all about loyalty, and McCain showed no loyalty to Trump, and thus must be punished.  But I feel like if you were going to attack a Republican to show other Republicans they need to stay in line, attacking Bush would make a lot more sense (or Romney, or even Murkowski).  McCain is primarily remembered as a war hero, going after him after he died is just strange. 

This is, again, why I was pointing out the need to understand various psychological disorders. Understand them and Trump’s behavior makes a lot more sense.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think you're way overthinking. Trump attacking McCain is just him settling scores. He loves that. 

I didn't see the Daily Show on this, but according to my Facebook, they had the punchline "When you go six feet under, Trump goes lower".

I loved that.