Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

11 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Boyz N the Hood the other day. That was easily one of my favorites growing up. Still holds up and I still love it.

I assume you've seen Menace II Society (and if not, you should check it out). Only watched it once but I remember the opening scene being pretty jaw dropping.

19 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

What are you referring to?

One of the true stories they told that apparently happened to Remender:

Spoiler

Where Marcus gets so shitfaced and hosed, and has to open the comic store, and tries to fart but instead has massive diarrhea that ruins his clothing and whatnot. It's so incredibly over the top - especially knowing that it actually happened - and puts Marcus in such a total bad light (along with cheating on Maria) - and they still put it in. It's pretty remarkable.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I assume you've seen Menace II Society (and if not, you should check it out). Only watched it once but I remember the opening scene being pretty jaw dropping.

Yes. Another classic from my youth. My buddy had it on videotape so we would view it often(he had the “cool” parents that would let us watch basically anything by like age 10). Haven’t seen it in many moons though.

Was going through my old DVDs and decided to watch Patriot Games tonight.

Young Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson, James Earl Jones, and Sean Bean.

Sean Bean dies.

Considering the actor, I guess that's not really a spoiler. It's not like this is Troy or The Martian.

I’m watching triple frontier on Netflix and it’s more predictable than anything I have ever seen in Disney. I can literally announce every single scene before it happens. And it’s so stupid, it’s so so terribly stupid. If it wasn’t for all these hot actors and their upper bodies, this thing would be unwatchable. 

Spoiler

WHO in their right mind would keep their money in a wall? What if there’s a fire? What if there’s mould? What if there’s pipe breakage? What if there are termites, rats? This is the most unsafe place to store money I could ever think of. Come on! 

Wait. It wasn’t one guy’s money! So did other guys just agree to store their immense amount of cash at someone else’s house in the wall? Why. Why. Why would any person ever think that’s a good idea? 

Don’t watch this movie. It is unwatchable.

Finally got around to watching the finale of I Am The Night since I had nothing else to watch. Shame. Anything would have been better. This series was an utter disappointment. So many problems. I have no idea how Chris Pine got involved with this series, but he needs to fire his agent. The series had so much potential, but the writers seemed to have their heads stuck up their asses. I have nothing positive to say about it other than it had potential.

Watched a few films whilst flying to the US and back these past two weeks:

The Favourite - was as good as everyone said it was. But still gutted that I didn't see it at the pictures, mostly because of the 'score'*. There were long periods with no dialogue where there is just discordant noise in the background. I really wish I could have experienced that in the cinema as it was pretty subpar on a set of headphones on the plane. *a friend told me afterwards that nobody wrote a score for this film in advance. I'll have to look into that.

The Shape of Water - Again, as expected, it was consuming and engrossing and beautiful and it looked amazing.

Three Identical Strangers - This one I watched at around 6am after being awake all night as we were due to land in London. I dozed in a couple of places toward the end. But wow - what a shocking and awful series of events. 

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - I have a weakness for cartoons when I am flying as I find them soothing. *shrug* Animated dragons are cute.

Last night we finished off The Passage, which the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Today we caught up with the latest season of Chef's Table (there was a funny moment while we were eating in Ivan Ramen in NYC where a group showed up and we heard the intro music for Chef's Table playing, we imagined this group walking in off the street thinking 'who is this Ivan guy and googling the restaurant then watching the episode of Chef's Table).

Having just visited Richmond (and half a day in the Civil War Museum) and North Carolina within the past week we've been thinking a great deal about the south, so it was topical that two of the episodes also focus on that region and its history (and cuisine). Great stuff as always.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched a few films whilst flying to the US and back these past two weeks:

The Favourite - was as good as everyone said it was. But still gutted that I didn't see it at the pictures, mostly because of the 'score'*. There were long periods with no dialogue where there is just discordant noise in the background. I really wish I could have experienced that in the cinema as it was pretty subpar on a set of headphones on the plane. *a friend told me afterwards that nobody wrote a score for this film in advance. I'll have to look into that.

The Shape of Water - Again, as expected, it was consuming and engrossing and beautiful and it looked amazing.

Three Identical Strangers - This one I watched at around 6am after being awake all night as we were due to land in London. I dozed in a couple of places toward the end. But wow - what a shocking and awful series of events. 

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - I have a weakness for cartoons when I am flying as I find them soothing. *shrug* Animated dragons are cute.

Last night we finished off The Passage, which the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Today we caught up with the latest season of Chef's Table (there was a funny moment while we were eating in Ivan Ramen in NYC where a group showed up and we heard the intro music for Chef's Table playing, we imagined this group walking in off the street thinking 'who is this Ivan guy and googling the restaurant then watching the episode of Chef's Table).

Having just visited Richmond (and half a day in the Civil War Museum) and North Carolina within the past week we've been thinking a great deal about the south, so it was topical that two of the episodes also focus on that region and its history (and cuisine). Great stuff as always.

The Favourite is one of the few films i am glad i saw in a crowded theatre. It was a day trip for a care home and the reactions of the audience and muted whispers during the Chapter slides just made the whole experience so wonderful

Widows -- woo, what a good film this is, on every level, beginning with the great cast, including even genuine 'stars' such as Robert Duvall, though he's not the center.

Violence, ya.  Betrayals, reversals, twists, real stakes.  Female centered -- and they're all really really really good in their roles.  This includes the West Highland White Terrier who plays Olivia, the adorable but not saccharine sweet pet dog of Viola Davis's Veronica, the character who is the firm center of the film.

Violence there is.  Tight plot there is. But it is also character driven.

There are sorta comic-ironic-sardonic moments, but this isn't a comedy.  I haven't seen the all women Oceans 8 which came out about the same time, but I'm assuming they share little to nothing despite both being heist focused.

Last year some of the commentators here highly recommended this film -- and some others didn't like it for reasons that weren't clear other than maybe it wasn't a light-hearted comedy? 

Anyway, this viewer recommends it highly.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Just got this for like $5 on Itunes. Heard great things but haven’t watched yet. 

I just finished a The Sopranos rewatch. Man, Tony is a miserable fuck those last few seasons. Not exactly a hot take, but it really stood out to me more than other times I’ve seen it for whatever reason.

I need something new, so for those who have seen both(or one): The Shield or Six Feet Under?

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There are sorta comic-ironic-sardonic moments, but this isn't a comedy.  I haven't seen the all women Oceans 8 which came out about the same time, but I'm assuming they share little to nothing despite both being heist focused.

Your assumption would be correct.

I did really like Widows, I was a bit surprised it got very little attention in the awards season.

30 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Your assumption would be correct.

I did really like Widows, I was a bit surprised it got very little attention in the awards season.

Ya -- that didn't seem right to me either.  And the use of the music tracks -- so good.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I need something new, so for those who have seen both(or one): The Shield or Six Feet Under?

That’s tough, love both, and both are in my top 10. I’d say The Shield is better overall, and a little more consistent. I highly recommend watching both at some point, but maybe The Shield first. These 2 shows also happen to have the 2 best series finales ever, imo. 

44 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm giving this The Case Against Adnan Syed on HBO a shot as a person that has not listed to Serial at all.  I did see one review that claimed that the HBO doc is very one-sided.  Still pretty compelling so far.  

That is pretty much said about every crime doc ever. I knew nothing about this case going in, and I have no idea what to think after 2 episodes. 

9 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Last night, I binge watched all of Ricky Gervais's After Life (only 6 half hour episodes).  I was laughing and crying throughout. 

Its next on my list, i can't start it on a monday though, monday is for exclusively fun. 

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Just got this for like $5 on Itunes. Heard great things but haven’t watched yet. 

I just finished a The Sopranos rewatch. Man, Tony is a miserable fuck those last few seasons. Not exactly a hot take, but it really stood out to me more than other times I’ve seen it for whatever reason.

I would say six feet under, crime after crime doesn't work for me. 

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Favourite is one of the few films i am glad i saw in a crowded theatre. It was a day trip for a care home and the reactions of the audience and muted whispers during the Chapter slides just made the whole experience so wonderful

GAH. *kicks self* GAHHHHHH. I'm really into disturbing sound effects/soundtracks as well. *kicks self again*

Archived