Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It'll be interesting to see how it develops. The premier was essentially set up eg the politics aspect so it might become more complicated. They certainly appear to have ended the "quest" within one episode.

Is this on UK Netflix yet?

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

They really made Euron suck too, but I mostly agree with what you wrote.  The first four seasons are generally great, outside of some poor decisions (like the whole Talisa plot line).  You can tell they realized they ran out of time around season six when logic and travel times get thrown out the window to get everyone where they needed to be for the final season, though.  Characters zip across the continent in single episodes.  

I tend to think that D&D are excellent visual story tellers, but they struggle with the writing aspect, which is why the show's writing went to hell once they ran out of source material.

Still gorgeous to look at and a lot of fun, though.

I think their real problem was that they gave themselves too much to do in too short a space of time. They realised at some point they were going to need to wrap things up, also didn’t want to do this show forever.

No way could they do the story justice in less than 10 seasons I suspect. But they are trying. 

Now the writing is absolutely minimal, events are ticked off with the barest minimum level of thought or inventiveness  around them. Almost no time is spent thinking about dialogue other than how to get across plot points as efficiently as possible.

Its sad to watch. It feels like reading the wiki page of a good book to find out the ending.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It'll be interesting to see how it develops. The premier was essentially set up eg the politics aspect so it might become more complicated. They certainly appear to have ended the "quest" within one episode.

I think this is good though. It sets up the dynamic going forward and introduced all the relevant players and motivations.  I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet but hope to watch sometime this week. Sepinwall, who was a fan of Banshee, has seen all 10 episodes and thought pretty highly of it.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Is this on UK Netflix yet?

Annoyingly not and from what I've checked there's no word where/when it will necessarily land in UK. I watched via amazon US with cinemax channel free trial.No idea if this means it will wind up on Amazon prime uk.Be a hell of a lot easier if they did same/next day releases over here. Guess it's drawback when you don't have international broadcast connections/platforms but cinemax is rare these days in that sense.

Hopefully it won't wind up on BT!

On 4/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, Nictarion said:

The newest episode of What We Do In the Shadows was hilarious. I’m sold on this as a series at this point. 

Reveal hidden contents

The werewolf jumping off the building for the squeaky toy has me dying. 

Also, Laszlo’s Vulva garden... :lmao:

I’m in too. 

Spoiler

The 3rd episode was great. The two things you mentioned, and the energy/emotion vamps scene at the restaurant had me dying with the Munchausen by proxy fake scenario. It’s been wonderfully absurd so far.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy Warrior.. but do you guys have Cinemax as part of your cable package? There's no way I'm paying for another streaming service when I can barely keep up with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I watch through my parents Cinemax.

Regarding Game of Thrones, I enjoyed the premiere. I'm happy to be getting some form of closure to the story after all this time. 

I'll be watching every Sunday. 

I've detailed my feelings for the books, TV series, and everything in an article I wrote for my local paper:
https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/opinion/columnists/2019/04/15/game-thrones-bittersweet-end-fantasy-world/3472422002/

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Regarding Game of Thrones, I enjoyed the premiere. I'm happy to be getting some form of closure to the story after all this time. 

I'll be watching every Sunday. 

I've detailed my feelings for the books, TV series, and everything in an article I wrote for my local paper:
https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/opinion/columnists/2019/04/15/game-thrones-bittersweet-end-fantasy-world/3472422002/

Bittersweet indeed. Nice write-up. Your sentiment mirrors my own. Despite anticipating book closure in the form of a posthumous (sorry George), Silmarillion-style collection of notes, I am just grateful for having had the pleasure of reading A Storm of Swords, which is hands down my favorite novel ever written. It was such a game-changer for me that I, who almost exclusively read the fantasy genre for leisure, couldn't return to the genre afterwards. Everything else felt like child's play and I couldn't stand it. I ended up exploring outside my safe zone and branched my reading into other areas. Not to mention discovering a website of like minded people who I could talk to about the next season of Deadwood or the Wire and getting recommendations like how I should be watching this new show called Breaking Bad. No author has had that kind of impact on me and so I'll always be grateful to George for the journey he's thus far been able to provide.

/threadjack

Finally got to see Us.  I really liked it, it was very well directed by Jordan Peele, expertly crafted horror tropes and style. The central concept was weird enough to keep me hooked, and any movie that actually features Tim from Tim and Eric gets my vote. 

However. The movie does tend to fall apart at the end as it explains itself, at that point I kind of checked out as it went from being high art metaphor to something a bit more hokey. A bit of a shame as there is so much to like here. 

I also thought it was an improvement on Get Out. I'm looking forward to seeing his next stuff.

Watching "the victim" on BBC. Pretty obviously a "what if" scenario based around the jamie bulger case it makes for an interesting set up where the mother of a murdered child has incited a violent attack on someone she believes to be the grown up murderer. A whodunnit on two levels where we don't know the attacker or whether the victim is the child killer with a new identity. I suspect there's a third element of "who is the real grown up child killer" as i think the show will stumble if the victim is guilty as many viewers, including myself, will think he deserves what he gets. The interesting angle is mob justice on an innocent victim and whether protecting the identity of underage killers is valid.

Edinburgh must have some filming incentives on at moment as quite a lot of shows are being filmed there. Nice to spot locations from my student days - even if all the shows revolve around murders.

Second season of Impostors is up on Netflix, of course it all aired last year on Bravo, but who watches Bravo anymore? Supposed to be the final season, cancelled by Bravo, Netflix could pick it up for a final season or few episodes, blah, blah, blah...usual rigmarole.

Anyway, it's not a very deep show but it sure is fun! Also answers the question on everybody's mind..."What the hell happened to Brian Benben?" Which is only slightly less asked than the question "Who the hell is Brian Benben?"  

Anyway, glad to have season 2 available to binge. Last episode is supposed to do a Travelers Season 3, meaning close up loose ends but leave room just in case.

Anybody watching Black Summer on Netflix? The Walking Dead spin-off that's not affiliated with the Walking Dead franchise? I'm four episodes in, it has a bit of a low production cost/independent feel opposed to TWD but otherwise (so far) it could be set in the same universe. It's been interesting and I'm liking it. Hopefully this story won't keep go around in circles.

ETA: Ok, the zombies turn a little faster, growl, and can run, but otherwise it's the same deal.

The last 30 minutes of BBC's "the victim" was phenomenal. Heartbreaking and powerful stuff and if Kelly MacDonald and James Harkness aren't winning awards for their respective performances, it'll be a travesty. The show is entertaining for most of it's 4 episodes but that ending was on another level. I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on the show's creator and writer, Rob Williams. He's done a few episodes of "Man in the high castle" and "killing Eve" but he's clearly someone on the rise if this show was anything to go by.

Today, of all days, watching the latest episode of Happy was totally needed. Instead of listening to all the constant bullshit about Mueller and Barr and Trump, I can watch a bunch of 

Spoiler

actual nazis and neonazis

get killed in happily glorious ultraviolence. 

23 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Second season of Impostors is up on Netflix, of course it all aired last year on Bravo, but who watches Bravo anymore? Supposed to be the final season, cancelled by Bravo, Netflix could pick it up for a final season or few episodes, blah, blah, blah...usual rigmarole.

I absolutely loved Imposters.  I thought it was a fantastic show.  So rare to get a good black comedy like that.  And one that was fairly unpredictable.  I could not have guessed where they would end up at the end of Season 2 when Season 1 began.  I thought the main actress, Inbar Lavi, did such a good job with all the different people she played.  I was super bummed when it was cancelled because I could not wait to see where they were going to go next.

Watched The Night Comes For Us, a really good action thriller from Indonesia. Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim (from The Raid movies) are in it. Great fight choreography, and some just absolutely brutal deaths. Can’t remember the last movie that made me squirm so many times. If you’re into this kind of stuff I highly recommend it. It’s on Netflix (US) atm. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched The Night Comes For Us, a really good action thriller from Indonesia. Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim (from The Raid movies) are in it. Great fight choreography, and some just absolutely brutal deaths. Can’t remember the last movie that made me squirm so many times. If you’re into this kind of stuff I highly recommend it. It’s on Netflix (US) atm. 

I saw this awhile back and I liked it well enough but I thought the brutality of it to be extreme (guys taking on 1,000 guys and 1,000 injuries but still being fine) and the choreography was actually pretty weak in my eyes. When you have Iko Uwai and Joe Taslim and you see them fight in The Raid, you'd expect them to be able to handle multiple people at once but this felt very Jean Claude Van Damme where it was a circle of guys around one guy and they came one at a time while he cut through them. I will say the Uwais/Taslim fight was awesome.

As an aside, Joe Taslim is in Warriors now. That made me happy.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I was going to watch this the other night but opted for Hollow Point with Luke Wilson and Ian McShane. I should've chosen The Night Comes for Us. Hollow Point was rather piss poor imo.

I've been eyeing The Great Battle on Netflix. I may watch that this weekend. I've been having trouble finding a series to get into.

27 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I saw this awhile back and I liked it well enough but I thought the brutality of it to be extreme (guys taking on 1,000 guys and 1,000 injuries but still being fine) and the choreography was actually pretty weak in my eyes. When you have Iko Uwai and Joe Taslim and you see them fight in The Raid, you'd expect them to be able to handle multiple people at once but this felt very Jean Claude Van Damme where it was a circle of guys around one guy and they came one at a time while he cut through them. I will say the Uwais/Taslim fight was awesome.

As an aside, Joe Taslim is in Warriors now. That made me happy.

Fair complaint. Although it was kind of addressed in the one big warehouse scene when Taslim really took on a ton of people. He  had all that newspaper and stuff taped under his jacket to protect him from being cut and whatnot. 

I thought the best fights were the smaller ones anyway. Other than the main one you mentioned, the fight between the three female assassins was really good, and when they first come after the little girl in his friends apartment. 

Idk I enjoyed the hell out of it overall. 

Archived