Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Saw the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven last night (was reminded of the stirring knighting scene in it after see the stirring knighting scene in the most recent GoT episodes). That movie, at least the director's cut, holds up pretty well; especially the middle third, which I think is the most interesting part. 

I also had completely forgotten that Jaime Lannister actually had a tiny role in it (I remembered that Iain Glenn shows up at the end though).

One of the worst studio botch jobs in the history of film. Right up there with OUATIA. 

I watched Cobra Kai season 2. I liked it, but not as much as I liked the first season. It's not as funny or humours and instead they dialed the melodrama up considerably. It does not feel as heartfelt s the first season and is a bit more soap-y instead. Plus some characters felt like they got shafted pretty hard in terms of screen time and importance in the story. And the new comic relief character is pretty awful.

Spoiler

I do appreciate the morbidity that the "Put him in a bodybag"-kid ended up in a bodybag.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:16 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Boo, you are bad people.

Anecdotally though, i actually found the Favourite was one if those rare awards darlings that people generally discussed and enjoyed, it wasnt a niche/movie snob only film. But again, just anecdotal.

Tell me you didnt love the dance scene though and I’ll call you a liar :P 

Yes, it's not as if it was complicated or hard to follow in terms of plot or story. Is it too subtle for some people?

28 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yes, it's not as if it was complicated or hard to follow in terms of plot or story. Is it too subtle for some people?

I get how some people might find it boring, it isn't completely mainstream in its plotting in that it doesn't just shove plot in your face every second. It can be a little slow as well and leaves a bit of ambiguity around what is happening. 

I loved it however.

Shows I'm currently watching apart from GOT -

Line of Duty - Still decent but not the same since they moved it from BBC2 to BBC1.

Follow the Money - Danish Police drama. Pretty good, but not in the same class as The Killing or The Bridge.

Deutschland 83 - German-American series set in 1983, (obviously), about an East German spy sent to infiltrate the West. Only watched two episodes but enjoying it so far.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

The only part really that strikes me as somewhat difficult to follow/interpret is the very last scene. The rest is a fairly straightforward story, albeit a well told one with rich and interesting characters.

Had some time on the airplane recently and watched quite some good stuff:

1) Deutschland 86, the follow-up on Deutschland 83. I really liked the first series, so I was very glad to hear there was another one. If my memory serves me correctly, it has the same weaknesses as the first series with some pretty big plotholes and some baffling choices by characters but it compensates by being genuinely thrilling, having great performances and a bit of stylistic flair which is so hard to find nowadays (in particular there was a scene involving some dollars which almost came straight out of The Young Pope, which is the highest bar for stylistic scenes on television that you can clear imo).

2) Creed II. A brilliant sequel. I love this franchise, but I am well aware of the fact that it's pretty much the same generic formula everytime. This one was different though, mainly due to the decision of fleshing out the villains. It really does wonders for the overall story and Michael B. Jordan is just phenomenal as the lead.

3) A Prayer before Dawn. I like boxing films, I like prison films. This should have been a surefire hit, but overall I thought it was quite a dud. I would not recommend this.

4) I rewatched The Raid, Mean Girls and 10 Things I hate About You. Still love all of them. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The only part really that strikes me as somewhat difficult to follow/interpret is the very last scene. The rest is a fairly straightforward story, albeit a well told one with rich and interesting characters.

None of the story is hard to follow, it just wasn’t that interesting. It was a very niche Oscar bait film. I expected more than that of it and it did not deliver for me.

Having now seen 7 of the 8 Best Picture nominees (haven’t watched Roma), I think either BlacKKKlansman or A Star is Born should have won, though IMO the best film of 2018 is still Won’t You Be My Neighbor followed by Free Solo.

Also finished the second season of Derry Girls. I see that most people found it weaker than the first, but I am not sure I completely agree. It had less Sister Michael, who is my favourite character, but in general I think they did a great job expanding on the world the series plays in. I have no idea how realistic the depiction of Derry in the nineties is, but somehow I feel like the show is really convincing me of their interpretation of it. They do that even better here than in the first season imo. It also does a good job at colouring in the relationships between the girls and the supporting cast which I really appreciate. I'd say the level is about equal to the first season overall.

Rewatched S1 of The OA and it's crazy how much it alludes to things in S2.  It's either planned ingeniously, or they have been super clever as they go along.  I'm beginning to think they know exactly what story they want to tell and are leaving tiny breadcrumbs along the way to appreciate on multiple viewings.

Bosch, season 5 -- terrific. Glad there is already confirmation there will be a season 6.

First episode of Gentleman Jack (HBO) -- loved it.  But then the actor Suranne Jones I've always liked since Scott & Baily; also, of course the show runner, Sally Wainwright.  Many familiar Brit tv faces.

Peterloo, Mike Leigh's latest film. Painting the screen with human bodies this time, instead of sky and light as in Turner

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Bosch, season 5 -- terrific. Glad there is already confirmation there will be a season 6.

I hadn't heard it had already been renewed, that's fantastic.  They really set up a lot of stuff for season 6

I really didn't think Edgar was going to make it out of that bar alive at the end.

Right now in the middle of The OA, season 2.

Humans, season 3 just dropped on Amazon Prime, woo hoo! (Previously was only available if you paid for it, and I don't know if AMC ever aired S3, if they did I completely missed it.)

Never watched Bosch, gonna give that a go too.

Still got Impostors S2 to watch. 

Dark, S2 in June!

Lots of good stuff!

Just finished S3 of The Expanse. I want S4 right now.

I like pretty much all of the characters - there's no bit where I think: "Oh God, not him/her again, somebody space them, please? Right now?" 

The show is sufficiently fast-paced and busy that even the characters I might get fed up with in a slower series - Holden and Juliet from Lost Anna - aren't given enough free rein to drag things down. Even if Holden's the hero, he's in such a big ensemble cast that it doesn't matter. 

4 hours ago, dog-days said:

Just finished S3 of The Expanse. I want S4 right now.

I like pretty much all of the characters - there's no bit where I think: "Oh God, not him/her again, somebody space them, please? Right now?" 

The show is sufficiently fast-paced and busy that even the characters I might get fed up with in a slower series - Holden and Juliet from Lost Anna - aren't given enough free rein to drag things down. Even if Holden's the hero, he's in such a big ensemble cast that it doesn't matter. 

I actually cheered in my room when 

Spoiler

They called all the injured, regardless of allegiance/origin, to the Mormon ship for treatment. 

Archived