Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd watch first two seasons but the recommendation to watch the third is there mainly to let you see for yourself how far the show starts to fall. And the 4th is where i quit as it was a farce I'd bail before that so you can have a far better memory on average of the show.

I made it through the first half of season 3, quit at the break, and have had zero desire to ever watch another episode.  I can't think of another single show that fell as far as fast as this one did.

12 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I made it through the first half of season 3, quit at the break, and have had zero desire to ever watch another episode.  I can't think of another single show that fell as far as fast as this one did.

The only other one I’d compare it to in that regard is Dexter. 

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Sons of anarchy plummets at season 3 too. Heroes by season 2. The main difference is that those two shows were consistently good from episode 1. What burns with vikings is that season 2 was such a msrked improvement over season 1 it had me thinking 3 would be as good or potentially Even better as the creators seemed to be in a groove.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I think these might be most similar as ive heard there are better seasons (or half seasons) later in the vikings run but they never reach season 2 levels. Which is a bit like Dexter which really only needs seasons 1, 2 and 4.

The weird thing with vikings is that it isn't a limited concept in the way shows like dexter and homeland are where the premise really can't be dragged out. Vilings have hundreds of years of viking history and legend to play with so there shouldn't be fatigue.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty sure i saw "the terror" listed on Amazon recently. Although it's not on prime. And for £20 you may as well buy the box set.

The Blu-Ray was 50 quid on Amazon when I checked last week. An even worse deal than it is on Amazon Prime (either 20 or 25).

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Sons of anarchy plummets at season 3 too. Heroes by season 2. The main difference is that those two shows were consistently good from episode 1. What burns with vikings is that season 2 was such a msrked improvement over season 1 it had me thinking 3 would be as good or potentially Even better as the creators seemed to be in a groove.

I think these might be most similar as ive heard there are better seasons (or half seasons) later in the vikings run but they never reach season 2 levels. Which is a bit like Dexter which really only needs seasons 1, 2 and 4.

The weird thing with vikings is that it isn't a limited concept in the way shows like dexter and homeland are where the premise really can't be dragged out. Vilings have hundreds of years of viking history and legend to play with so there shouldn't be fatigue.

Yeah well Hirst is going to Hirst. After the Tudors this oughht to have been unsurprising

Wasn't there some change behind the scenes after season 2 for Vikings.. I can't quite remember what it was, but like it moved onto Amazon from History Channel or the episode count went out or they changed show runner? 

I don't remember, but there was just such a huge and noticable change in the quality from that point that it became unwatchable. 

I read an article yesterday saying how sometimes showrunners can be the problem, that they become divas and don't listen to criticism. The SOA Showrunner famously ignored his critics and insulted them. If someone had told the show runner of Vikings that nobody cares about the court politics of France in a Vikings show then maybe they would have changed course. 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Wasn't there some change behind the scenes after season 2 for Vikings.. I can't quite remember what it was, but like it moved onto Amazon from History Channel or the episode count went out or they changed show runner? 

I don't remember, but there was just such a huge and noticable change in the quality from that point that it became unwatchable. 

I read an article yesterday saying how sometimes showrunners can be the problem, that they become divas and don't listen to criticism. The SOA Showrunner famously ignored his critics and insulted them. If someone had told the show runner of Vikings that nobody cares about the court politics of France in a Vikings show then maybe they would have changed course. 

Episode count increased, I believe, in season 4. Hirst continues to be the showrunner - this is his through and through - and History is still showing it.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

The Blu-Ray was 50 quid on Amazon when I checked last week. An even worse deal than it is on Amazon Prime (either 20 or 25).

It's almost like Amazon wants Blu-ray's to die - possible in terms of them wanting to get people to use prime. Although for shows not on prime they may as well make money off selling box sets. But £50 is 9 months of now tv or Netflix making £50 far too much. I'd be wanting a lot of extras for that premium and a lovely, lovely box.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:01 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I didn't watch it yet :P Hopefully will get time to watch this weekend.

I expect a five thousand word review on my desk on Monday morning :whip:

Btw, Nictarion - where can I watch What We Do In The Shadows (TV version)? I loved the film. 

16 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Btw, Nictarion - where can I watch What We Do In The Shadows (TV version)? I loved the film. 

It's a FX show. It's also on Amazon if you buy the episodes.

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

My wife is watching it for the first time and thinks the later seasons get a bad rap and has enjoyed them thoroughly.  I think some of what hurt it how good season 4 was and viewing them one right after another is much different than waiting year after year and then week after week for new episodes.  I found this was true for Sons of Anarchy as well.  She still hasn't seen the end yet, so we'll have to see how she feels after that, but I think how you watch a show can really impact how one thinks of the quality.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Dexter fell pretty far, but not nearly as fast as Vikings.  I couldn't make it past the second episode of Sons of Anarchy, so... it must have turned into proper shit.  Heroes might take the crown, but I've long wondered if season 1 wasn't really that good, and that it just hit at the right time.  I have zero desire to go back and rewatch it though, so I won't be testing that theory. 

Part of the problems that Vikings didn't solve successfully, is that it seems Hirst wanted to explore the religious and spiritual forces that were dominant and clashing in this age of the western world.  But he or somebodies don't understand them well enough either, particularly in the social and cultural and political milieu of these centuries. So they did a terrible job with them, kinda throwing in willy nilly in whichever season that was when Bjorn? Floki? got to southern Spain and see Muslims and mosques.  And they end up in the Sahara at some point don't they? Or have I confused with another confused production?

Now historically these nordic cultures did travel to all these places -- but they didn't begin doing so in this age.  They'd been heading down south on river systems to the Polish plains, Hungary, Russia, and the Byzantine empire already.  At some point the Andalusian caliph had a personal guard of norsemen, commanded by a nord. -- though I can't recall whether that was prior to the period of the show or before (whatever years the show takes place in, as dates and chronology are -- like their time getting from one place to another -- pretty vague, and don't adhere to the historical timeline), . So they'd have at least have heard of Islam.  It's not unlikely then, that they'd know about Chinese women -- and even manage to have an Asian slave or wo -- or know of Buddha.  But what that means -- Hirst and Co. has never been successful in communicating this to the viewers.

But all our principals, at least the males, throughout the show, are always thinking about the Gods, about God, about the numinous, in one way or another. This isn't the stuff the average viewer probably finds enthralling, especially if not presented in any coherent manner, surrounded by a whole lot of other incoherence.

That said -- it's still superior to what GOT is.  Hoo boy!  Especially after that final season episode  3!  Still, mostly between season 3 and 5.2, Vikings does descend into ship wreck -- though still, generally, quite watchable in the way that potato chips are edible (except for Ragnar and the Chinese squeeze, and Floki in Iceland -- I just hope it's really true, that Floki is now dead and out of his misery :cheers:).

6 hours ago, dog-days said:

I’ve been watching it weekly on FX. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The episode of What We Do in the Shadows “Baron’s Night Out” was hilarious. Probably the best one yet. I’m really loving this show. So glad it lived up to the movie. 

It really has been great. The cast won me over easily. Nadja’s annoyed camera looks after some dumb shit goes down makes me laugh every time too.

Archived