Terrorist Attack at New Zealand mosques

The Marquis de Leech

4 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Great, thank you! I will get up to speed on that. In the meantime, Senator Fraser Anning is batshit insane. There's nothing like victim blaming. 

The tendency of people to use Terrorist atrocities to immediately push their own political agendas, whilst also justifying the attack and somehow blaming the victim is awful and quite common. We see this trend in Europe whenever there is a terrorist attack here, someone will always go 'yeah.. but'

Also worth mentioning this ties back to the Norway attack over a decade ago. He explicitly said he aimed to inspire further attacks and he did. This attack is intended to do the same, that's why it's so steeped in nazi meme culture and streamed live. And the media have learnt not one fucking thing.

They continue to try and have journalists with no internet awareness report on the manifesto etc and they don't understand what they are dealing with, and they help spread the "message" by doing so.

And yes, Fraser Anning is a fucking Nazi who used the phrase "final solution" in his maiden speech in Parliament while talking about immigration and most of the country decided to ignore it after a brief period of outrage because they don't want to face hard truths. Fuck him and I hope they find a way to charge him with hate speech.

I'm sorry for talking so much about the wider problem of online radicalization and Australian politics, but when the known shooter is an Australian that was radicalised by the internet it's hard to avoid it. This is a huge tragedy for NZ and I'm so sorry. 

35 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Great, thank you! I will get up to speed on that. In the meantime, Senator Fraser Anning is batshit insane. There's nothing like victim blaming. 

Well this is pretty black or white, either he just committed career suicide or Australia is more Islamophobia than I thought.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well this is pretty black or white, either he just committed career suicide or Australia is more Islamophobia than I thought.

He's only in the Senate due to a complete shit show that eliminated the 3 candidates from his former party before it fell to him and he's dropped Nazi speech in Parliament. He's holding a rally tomorrow, this is him showing his beliefs and trying to get a higher profile with the Australian Nazis. He's already hung out with them at a rally throwing Hitler salutes as well. I'm hoping this country isn't going to elect him again.

41 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Also worth mentioning this ties back to the Norway attack over a decade ago. He explicitly said he aimed to inspire further attacks and he did. This attack is intended to do the same, that's why it's so steeped in nazi meme culture and streamed live. And the media have learnt not one fucking thing.

They continue to try and have journalists with no internet awareness report on the manifesto etc and they don't understand what they are dealing with, and they help spread the "message" by doing so.

Correct. There is a massive groundswell of this shit through various Internet platforms that are easily and readily accessible by anyone, including the disillusioned, entitled failures who inevitably consume it. The meme culture you mention has turned the whole thing into a sort of game for these people. Spreading hate through "humor." That's how these ideas have spread so quickly and have largely evaded public notice.

If anything positive can come of this horrific event, perhaps it will serve to shine a light on these cockroaches that up until now hasn't been bright enough.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Here's his maiden speech. He actually uses the term "final solution".

Not even Trump is that brazen. The fact that Australians elected him leads me to think they're even more racist than we are. Apologies to karaddin for that generalization--I realize that most Australians are no more to blame for this whacko than most Americans are to blame for Trump. But wow.

Edit again: Louie Gohmert's statement leaves a lot to be desired, too. He doesn't like the shooters' methods, but agrees with the sentiment. At least that's the way I read it. 

11 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Correct. There is a massive groundswell of this shit through various Internet platforms that are easily and readily accessible by anyone, including the disillusioned, entitled failures who inevitably consume it. The meme culture you mention has turned the whole thing into a sort of game for these people. Spreading hate through "humor." That's how these ideas have spread so quickly and have largely evaded public notice.

If anything positive can come of this horrific event, perhaps it will serve to shine a light on these cockroaches that up until now hasn't been bright enough.

So they're out in the open.

What do we do about it?

14 people voted for "him". Several hundred thousand voted for the party of racism that he was a candidate for, and he has been kicked out of that party. Australia without a doubt has a very serious racism problem, but he is beyond the pale by our standards and let's not pretend the bizarre circumstances that led to him being elected are comparable to electing him as president.

The fucking ghoul that we have running our security apparatus is a much better demonstration of that and I'm pretty sure he is also a Nazi, but he isn't fully open about it.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

14 people voted for "him". Several hundred thousand voted for the party of racism that he was a candidate for, and he has been kicked out of that party. Australia without a doubt has a very serious racism problem, but he is beyond the pale by our standards and let's not pretend the bizarre circumstances that led to him being elected are comparable to electing him as president.

The fucking ghoul that we have running our security apparatus is a much better demonstration of that and I'm pretty sure he is also a Nazi, but he isn't fully open about it.

I apologize for the offense. I forgot you have a parliamentary system and elections don't work the same way there as here. 

Can't say the USA has no successful exports.

Here we are again, having learned nothing from Hitler using USA patrician pseudo scientists's eugenics principles as his bible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/04/adam-serwer-madison-grant-white-nationalism/583258/

US potus was cited as 'inspiration.' as well as Brevik.

12 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

I apologize for the offense. I forgot you have a parliamentary system and elections don't work the same way there as here. 

No offense taken, it's plenty awful and damning so I just wanted it to be understood in context.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

He's only in the Senate due to a complete shit show that eliminated the 3 candidates from his former party before it fell to him and he's dropped Nazi speech in Parliament. He's holding a rally tomorrow, this is him showing his beliefs and trying to get a higher profile with the Australian Nazis. He's already hung out with them at a rally throwing Hitler salutes as well. I'm hoping this country isn't going to elect him again.

52 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Here's his maiden speech. He actually uses the term "final solution".

Not even Trump is that brazen. The fact that Australians elected him leads me to think they're even more racist than we are. Apologies to karaddin for that generalization--I realize that most Australians are no more to blame for this whacko than most Americans are to blame for Trump. But wow.

Edit again: Louie Gohmert's statement leaves a lot to be desired, too. He doesn't like the shooters' methods, but agrees with the sentiment. At least that's the way I read it. 

I get that, but it’s also easy for his comments and behavior to get lost in the shuffle when nothing is going on. Now the spotlight should be directly on him and he’ll either be allowed to stay or be forced out of office. The fallout will be telling about what is acceptable.

Sadly I don't expect him to be forced out of parliament unless he can be convicted of a crime. It would be entirely symbolic in the sense that parliament isn't sitting again until after the next election, but it would be a very important act of symbolism if it happened. We're 8-10 weeks out from the election now ftr. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's no more true than saying that muslims don't like white people. 

Actually, yeah it is.  Everybody hates everybody, ok.  The key variables to worry about are rate and capacity.  Both have been increasing for white supremacists throughout the western world.  As for muslim extremists?  Not so much.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

That's not true. SOME white people don't like Muslims, but we need to either educate these people or shoot them out into space. The most horrifying effect 9/11 had on western culture, to me, was the vilification of billions based on religion. It spread like wildfire among the under-educated. 

Mine was a rather flippant remark, but as an educator, I don't think educating is the elixir you think it will be.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This is a pretty terrible thing to say, and pretty horrible timing as well. 

Ha.  Well, I'll defer to the expert there.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The tendency of people to use Terrorist atrocities to immediately push their own political agendas, whilst also justifying the attack and somehow blaming the victim is awful and quite common. We see this trend in Europe whenever there is a terrorist attack here, someone will always go 'yeah.. but'

Terrorism IS a political tactic, executed for a political agenda.  How we respond to it is also part of a political agenda.  Acting like this is not part of any such conversation is as willfully ignorant as the rightly ridiculed "thoughts and prayers" standard.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

And yes, Fraser Anning is a fucking Nazi who used the phrase "final solution" in his maiden speech in Parliament while talking about immigration and most of the country decided to ignore it after a brief period of outrage because they don't want to face hard truths. Fuck him and I hope they find a way to charge him with hate speech.

I'm sorry for talking so much about the wider problem of online radicalization and Australian politics, but when the known shooter is an Australian that was radicalised by the internet it's hard to avoid it. This is a huge tragedy for NZ and I'm so sorry. 

It's not like in this case they are unrelated. Part of whatever solution is needed for this tragedy is WTF Australia is doing about keeping it's violent radical element monitored and in check. Was this guy known about in Aussie, if not, why not? Were the NZ authorities warned that he's traveled to NZ and could be looking to stir shit up?

Archived