Jump to content
chasing the dragons

Who the NK is after. (Prediction)looking for opinions.

Recommended Posts

He going after someone. (from interview with actor who plays NK) “People will see he has a target he wants to kill, and you will find out who that is,” Furdik said. “There’s also that moment [in “Hardhome”] when Jon Snow was on the boat and the Night King looked at him and raised his arms — there’s a similar and even stronger moment between Jon and the Night King this time.”
Read more at https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1047763-game-of-thrones-the-night-king-gives-rare-interview#5xYcQtzQvRwjAGbV.99

My theory

1. He's going after Winterfell b/c he wants to continue his battle with Bran the Builder, (who should be dead in the crypts except when the NK is around no one is really dead. I'm not versed in the age of heroes timeline nor the long night timeline. Does that make sense? The NK was defeated by Bran, who is buried in the Winterfell crypts. NK wants simple revenge. No big picture plans or pure evil intentions. He wants a rematch. 

When the NK comes, he raises the dead and goes to Winterfell. Hence the Stark words....

Winter is Coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is Bran, because Bran is supposed to take control of his mind to return the WW to their original purpose, which was to be a threat against those who could wipe out the CotF.

I believe the Starks originally would successively warg into the NK's head to control him, but one of them stopped the process (probably Brandon the Breaker), so he fled far north. Bran is the first who could do it again, so the NK has come to kill him to prevent it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bran makes sense, then again, it doesn't. The NK did not seemed that entusiastic about killing him in season 6. He barely tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is coming for Cersei, as she (as far as he knows) is the ruler of Westeros. he might not even be at the battle of WF at all, and head straight fro KL with a fraction of his forces. He is the Valonqar. Bran, Dany, Jon....meh...too easy. 

 

...or maybe what ever nonono has is contagious, I don't know. 

...or maybe he is just really po'ed he didn't get an invite to Jon and Sansa's wedding? 

chances are though, all this is wrong, and he just wants a box of cronuts from Hotpie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder wether the old TEC was beyond the wall to keep the Night King beyond the wall?

He is after Jon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

1) Bran

2) Everyone

Certainly hoping it’s #2. And I’ll be here, cheering him on! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely Bran. I think the CotF want to retake control of the NK’s mind to protect themselves, and for whatever reason only Bran can figure out how (by remembering what has been seemingly forgotten since Brandon the Breaker or some such), or do it himself, and the NK doesn’t want that to happen.

But then there is Prince who was promised thing, which I think is someone promised the NK someone else would replace him, and he is afraid it won’t happen if they take control of his mind.

edit: Woops I already replied lol.

Edited by NonoNono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, T and A said:

D&D gave that answer lately, if you want to know

  Hide contents

“I don’t think of him as evil, I think of him as Death,” Benioff said. “And that’s what he wants — for all of us. It’s why he was created and that’s what he’s after.” 

Source:

https://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-weiss-discuss-night-king-reveal-motivation/

 

So then you have to wonder: do the CotF regret making him and want him gone, or just want to retake control of him?

It is clear they HAD to have had control of him early on, otherwise he would have wiped them out; it would have been just a nihilistic act, but it was clearly not.

I can't imagine they want to get rid of him, without a replacement of sorts. They need the Others to safeguard the north, to protect themselves.

It feels a lot like a sci-fi plot, where the subservient robots might have gone sentient, and now the choice is: do we destroy them, or retake control? If we retake control, for how long will we manage to hold it?

I can't imagine that the TEC, Benjen, the CotF, would be so cryptic to Bran if their goal was "you have to help us kill the bad guy". It seems more like they are taking a slow approach, because they have to make sure Bran understands and agrees with their intention.

"A prince who was promised" could be a successor to the Night King (prince, to succeed the king), but who will protect everyone: the ice and the fire, the north and the south.

Edited by NonoNono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

So then you have to wonder: do the CotF regret making him and want him gone, or just want to retake control of him?

It is clear they HAD to have had control of him early on, otherwise he would have wiped them out; it would have been just a nihilistic act, but it was clearly not.

I can't imagine they want to get rid of him, without a replacement of sorts. They need the Others to safeguard the north, to protect themselves.

It feels a lot like a sci-fi plot, where the subservient robots might have gone sentient, and now the choice is: do we destroy them, or retake control? If we retake control, for how long will we manage to hold it?

I can't imagine that the TEC, Benjen, the CotF, would be so cryptic to Bran if their goal was "you have to help us kill the bad guy". It seems more like they are taking a slow approach, because they have to make sure Bran understands and agrees with their intention.

I think this is another difference between the show and the books. In the show, motivations are simple and the NK being a simple idiot "death good, life bad" makes sense in the cartoon version. In the real version we dont have a NK and we dont have any real motivation for the undead. What is the real driver in the books, and thus the actual story?

I do think D and D know enough of the GRRM books to not create a NK out of wholecloth, so he is likely out there somewhere in the books. I expect his motivations are much more subtle and may be the flip side of the three-eyed raven. Some old dead guy we know about but haven't yet connected to the NK - thus the NK is just a continuation of the battles in the south.

Just a thought.

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 3/20/2019 at 10:41 PM, NonoNono said:

I believe it is Bran, because Bran is supposed to take control of his mind to return the WW to their original purpose, which was to be a threat against those who could wipe out the CotF.

I believe the Starks originally would successively warg into the NK's head to control him, but one of them stopped the process (probably Brandon the Breaker), so he fled far north. Bran is the first who could do it again, so the NK has come to kill him to prevent it.

If so, then this fits the theory many have said is crackpot - Bran wargs into the NK at his formation, gets stuck, and Jon then kills Bran in order to kill the NK - in episode 6 and after that the story gets some cleanup and a happy ending (Jon holding his premie baby, born of his dead lover Dany)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

If so, then this fits the theory many have said is crackpot - Bran wargs into the NK at his formation, gets stuck, and Jon then kills Bran in order to kill the NK - in episode 6 and after that the story gets some cleanup and a happy ending (Jon holding his premie baby, born of his dead lover Dany)

I am not sure about Bran staying stuck in him, or even wargs into him at all. Just that I think the CotF want him to take control of the NK, or want a replacement for the NK. But currently, the mark on Bran has to serve a purpose. If Bran feels he is losing his current body or is dying but feels he has a purpose he must carry on, then he could warg into someone to live on.

Actually, thinking about it, there is so much focus on how Bran has to "remember". I wonder if he might have to warg into the NK to remember something only the NK knows. That could be the mind-battle that determines each other's fate. It was when he warged into Hodor that the "Hold the door" happened no? But if Bran is killed by the NK while he's in his head, then Bran would possibly be stuck there.

Ah, I don't know, it can go so many ways.

Edited by NonoNono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Just now, NonoNono said:

I am not sure about Bran staying stuck in him, or even wargs into him at all. Just that I think the CotF want him to take control of the NK, or want a replacement for the NK. But currently, the mark on Bran has to serve a purpose. If Bran feels he is losing his current body or is dying but feels he has a purpose he must carry on, then he could warg into someone to live on.

Actually, thinking about it, there is so much focus on how Bran has to "remember". I wonder if he might have to warg into the NK to remember something only the NK knows. That could be the mind-battle that determines each other's fate. It was when he warged into Hodor that the "Hold the door" happened no?

Yes, great point. But doesnt that also fit exactly with Bran getting stuck in the NK? We have Bran who wants to change history, so it makes sense for him to go back and try to stop the formation of the NK at his inception, at the moment the dragon glass pierces him. Then we have the tinfoil everywhere about Bran is the NK. Put it all together, mix it up, and BOOM! Bran is the NK, but not intentionally. It might also explain Bran's confusion about time he is actually in.

Probably all just tinfoil...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Yes, great point. But doesnt that also fit exactly with Bran getting stuck in the NK? We have Bran who wants to change history, so it makes sense for him to go back and try to stop the formation of the NK at his inception, at the moment the dragon glass pierces him. Then we have the tinfoil everywhere about Bran is the NK. Put it all together, mix it up, and BOOM! Bran is the NK, but not intentionally. It might also explain Bran's confusion about time he is actually in.

Probably all just tinfoil...

Well I don't even know what Bran wants, or if he knows himself.

He seems to just be remembering things and telling people without thinking. Like he doesn't know what he is supposed to do. The fact that the TEC was killed by the NK is I think supposed to be more important than has been hinted at, like his "training" was interrupted. It is immediately after that that Bran misuses his power, causing the Hodor thing. And since then, he goes around saying he's not Bran, he's the TEC. But it feels like there's a gap. Benjen told him that when the time would come, he would be ready, so right now he seems to have no idea what he's doing or why.

I don't know, it's a big blank to me as far as the show is concerned. I can only think "We'll see" with the info we actually have.

Edited by NonoNono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
12 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

Well I don't even know what Bran wants, or if he knows himself.

He seems to just be remembering things and telling people without thinking. Like he doesn't know what he is supposed to do. The fact that the TEC was killed by the NK is I think supposed to be more important than has been hinted at, like his "training" was interrupted. It is immediately after that that Bran misuses his power, causing the Hodor thing. And since then, he goes around saying he's not Bran, he's the TEC. But it feels like there's a gap. Benjen told him that when the time would come, he would be ready, so right now he seems to have no idea what he's doing or why.

I don't know, it's a big blank to me as far as the show is concerned. I can only think "We'll see" with the info we actually have.

Good points, as usual. I would just note that there is so little time for character development in the show that when they do it, it has to be important to the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This must be about Bran ... and maybe about the Isle of Faces and the Children of the Forest.

Brans whole storyline makes only sense if it is related to the Night King. 

We know that the Night King wanted to kill him or the three-eyed raven. The Children of the forest sacrificed themselves, as did Jojen and the direwolf.  Jojen one said something along 2you only thing that matters is you" to Bran. So i take this seriously from a boy sacrificing himself for another. The Reeds know something that makes them believe that Bran is key to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kajjo said:

This must be about Bran ... and maybe about the Isle of Faces and the Children of the Forest.

Brans whole storyline makes only sense if it is related to the Night King. 

We know that the Night King wanted to kill him or the three-eyed raven. The Children of the forest sacrificed themselves, as did Jojen and the direwolf.  Jojen one said something along 2you only thing that matters is you" to Bran. So i take this seriously from a boy sacrificing himself for another. The Reeds know something that makes them believe that Bran is key to all.

You have to wonder why they are cryptic about it. What can they not tell him until he is ready? One would assume that it is something they cannot tell him for fear of losing his trust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×