Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

Werthead

I also agree that Aquila Rift was predictable. Doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it however.

It occurred to me whilst watching it that I could maybe count every lazy sci if cliche in terms of design and turn it into a drinking game. 

- Star gates: drink

- Space truckers out for profit: drink

- Sleep modules: drink

- Halo style space suits : drink

Id be wasted even after a short episode 

It wasn't a bad episode in the show but was in the mid range acceptable level for me and simply didn't blow me away. I need to do a list.

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I also agree that Aquila Rift was predictable. Doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it however.

It occurred to me whilst watching it that I could maybe count every lazy sci if cliche in terms of design and turn it into a drinking game. 

- Star gates: drink

- Space truckers out for profit: drink

- Sleep modules: drink

- Halo style space suits : drink

Id be wasted even after a short episode 

We have to be thankful it was only 15 minutes and not 40- movie length :)

And now Alberto Mielgo has a deal to write and direct an original animated feature film. The name Vince Gerardis leaps out, as he was GRRM's entertainment manager for the Game of Thrones deal who set up the meet with D&D. 

4 hours ago, Ran said:

And now Alberto Mielgo has a deal to write and direct an original animated feature film. The name Vince Gerardis leaps out, as he was GRRM's entertainment manager for the Game of Thrones deal who set up the meet with D&D. 

That's going to be interesting. Be good to see his work on the big screen but i imagine Netflix will be happy to buy it afterwards.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Akita Rift:  somewhat surprised this doesn't get talk for male-gaze stuff more than it does.  

I mean it’s about a guy who gets seduced by a life sucking void alien who transplants a fantasy of his sexy ex into his brain to make him happy.. what’s the issue here?

On 8/1/2019 at 7:00 AM, Triskele said:

I re-watched a few of my favorites from this.  

I thought that Sonnie's Edge was as good as I'd understood before.  I do have a question and forget if this has come up:

The two entourage-type people on Sonnie's side:  Do they know the deal all along?  Doesn't seem clear at all or addressed to me.  Maybe not considered relevant.  

In the original short story they do - they're the ones who found her after the attack and set her up that way.

7 hours ago, Denvek said:

In the original short story they do - they're the ones who found her after the attack and set her up that way.

Yeah, I believe they're affinity engineers who implanted the affinity gene in her and arranged the body transfer.

• 1 month later...

The juried awards for the Emmys have been announced, including individual achievement in animation, and Alberto Mielgo was one of the winners as production designer of "The Witness", as was another member of the team, a character animator. More winners here, including a background designer for "Good Hunting" and a storyboard artist for "Sucker of Souls".

Not sure if the outstanding short form animation will be handed out tonight or tomorrow at the Emmy Creative Arts, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I will say that it may be a good sign for Mielgo and co. that none of the other nominees in the category made an appearance in the juried category.

ETA: And "The Witness" wins the Outstanding Short Form Animation category as well!

56 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I watched a few of these a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed.  Short stories have always been a great format for SF, and the animation quality is unbelievable.  I hope this new animation capability means we are on the cusp of a new era of rendering SF settings.

I agree that SF lends itself well to the short story format. Never quite the case with fantasy, i feel.

I'm hoping the expanse gets a big push with amazon's season 4 and that halo is good. Star wars shows should help too irrespective of it being more fantasy.That should make people more open to more SF.

I think there's plenty of fantasy short stories that would work well. There's a lot of interesting takes on the traditional fairy tales, for example, such as Tanith Lee's "Red as Blood", or Vance's "Mazirian the Magician" which would be really exciting from a visual design perspective (it's part of the Dying Earth cycle of stories, with all of its weird wonders). Niven's "What Good is a Glass Dagger?" as well... (Some of his Known Space yarns, like the Gil the Arm stories, would work well too; ditto GRRM's Thousand Worlds SF...)

But SF does seem to generally be a little easier for people to wrap their heads around, for whatever reason.

• 4 months later...

Just saw that LD+R did very well at last months' Annie Awards, with four wins in five categories in which they were nominated. Alberto Mielgo and "The Witness" took one, for Best Production Design.

Not much news otherwise, though I assume the second season is already in production.

11 hours ago, Ran said:

Just saw that LD+R did very well at last months' Annie Awards, with four wins in five categories in which they were nominated. Alberto Mielgo and "The Witness" took one, for Best Production Design.

Not much news otherwise, though I assume the second season is already in production.

I hope so!!!

8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I hope so!!!

Apparently Fincher cited his commitments to Love, Death & Robots Season 2 as a reason for bailing on Mindhunter Season 3, so I suspect it is in production or at least pre-production.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently Fincher cited his commitments to Love, Death & Robots Season 2 as a reason for bailing on Mindhunter Season 3, so I suspect it is in production or at least pre-production.

Damn. Nothing good is ever free.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Damn. Nothing good is ever free.

Odd considering he co-produces it and I imagine it takes him far less time than Mindhunter would. I'd imagine it's still more the case he's working on something else eg proposed netflix films and something had to give and giving up LD&R wouldn't have given him the time to continue Mindhunter still.

Speaking of, how comes they didn't pass onto someone to continue Mindhunter in terms of workload? I think the honest truth is Mindhunter wasn't doing well enough and Fincher had other interests. I certainly wouldn't want people casting shade on LD&R as if it's responsible for Mindhunter being shelved.

• 5 months later...

Not directly LD+R related, but I missed the fact that Alberto Mielgo ("Witness") directed this short animated film for Watch Dogs Legion, a video game:

You'll recognize the kinetic style and the uncanny moments of "Wait, is that a real set with actors?" The 2:15 moment has a cute 4th-wall-breaker.

Here's a making of:

On 8/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ran said:

Not directly LD+R related, but I missed the fact that Alberto Mielgo ("Witness") directed this short animated film for Watch Dogs Legion, a video game:

You'll recognize the kinetic style and the uncanny moments of "Wait, is that a real set with actors?" The 2:15 moment has a cute 4th-wall-breaker.

Here's a making of:

Hopefully it won't be too long until games look and play like that as I could see how great that would work in Last of us/red dead style games. The animator seems to enjoy running as his animation of choice!

Sadly I can't find any updates regarding when this might come out. I suspect with coronavirus and the multiple animation teams involved there'll be a delay unless they opt for a truncated second season. I imagine some but not all the teams will have been able to complete.

Archived