Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

Werthead

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Sadly I can't find any updates regarding when this might come out. I suspect with coronavirus and the multiple animation teams involved there'll be a delay unless they opt for a truncated second season. I imagine some but not all the teams will have been able to complete.

29 October.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

Cheers, Wert!

Hopefully it's the full amount although I'll be happy with several

Oh wait sorry, I thought you meant the video game! No, Netflix hasn't set a date for the TV show yet. I doubt very much it'll be before late next year at the earliest.

Just now, Werthead said:

Oh wait sorry, I thought you meant the video game! No, Netflix hasn't set a date for the TV show yet. I doubt very much it'll be before late next year at the earliest.

No problem. I've never played the games although I was midly curious. Wasn't the second one supposed to be decent?

1 minute ago, red snow said:

No problem. I've never played the games although I was midly curious. Wasn't the second one supposed to be decent?

I thought the first one was okay, bit derivative but perfectly fine. Haven't got round to the second one yet, but the consensus is that it's better than the first one but to really enjoy it you have to resist using guns and blasting your way through the title. It makes way more sense to do everything with your hacker skills (which weren't advanced enough in the first game for it to be viable, but are in the second).

• 8 months later...

A trailer has shown up on Netflix for the second volume (series) of Love, Death, + Robots:

No release date as of yet, but later in the year seems likely.

Based on some details here, it may be that it was not intended to be released (apparently users in Australia are the only ones who can see it). Also, I am pretty sure I saw a CG version of Michael B. Jordan in there...

ETA: Annnnd, it's gone, removed at Netflix's behest. Definitely not something they intended to release, to say the least!

I missed that at the end they reveal that they're splitting it into two -- volume 2 is just 8 episodes, and that's May 14, while an 8-episode volume 3 is scheduled for 2022.

Season 2 stories:

• Pop Squad by Paolo Bacigalupi
  • Life Hutch by Harlan Ellison
  • Ice by Rich Larson
  • The Tall Grass by by Joe Lansdale
  • Automated Customer Service by John Scalzi
  • All Through the House by Joachim Heijndermans
  • The Drowned Giant by J.G. Ballard
  • Snow in the Desert by Neal Asher

Maybe Season 3 will have some adaptations of stories by women? Kirsten Cross reportedly wrote a sequel to Sucker of Souls just for the team, so that should be in there.

Ah-ha! I knew I recognized the shots of the giant from something I'd read. Of course it's Ballard's famous "The Drowned Giant". Been years and years since I've read it.

Very cool to see the Ellison story "Life Hutch" being the one with Michael B. Jordan. Another one I haven't read in years, but I've a collection with it somewhere.

The Mashable sorry hints at a third season story, a violent one in which a cybernetic bear bites off someone's head. Doesn't ring any bells.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really have liked to see some of George's early stories adapted for that - 'The Hero' or 'Night Shift' or 'Dark, Dark Are the Tunnels'. Even something melancholic like 'With Morning Comes Mistfall' or 'The Second Kind of Loneliness' or 'This Tower of Ashes' or 'Slide Show' could work.

I rewatched a couple of eps from S1 just to get back in the mood for these.  It still stands out as a really well curated anthology of quirky, thoughtful Sci-fi, where great visuals do all of the world-building almost effortlessly so that all of the run time focuses on the character’s experience.  And they all leave you wanting more.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

Wait, it comes out in four days!? For some reason, I thought after the first trailer that it will be released during the summer or in autumn.

Yeah. Second season on the 14th, then the third season next year.

49 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah. Second season on the 14th, then the third season next year.

They're really one season of 16 stories, but they've been split in two because COVID delayed production (as far as I can guess), so this is more like Season 2 Part 1 and next year we'll get Season 2 Part 2, but they've just rebranded them.

Finished them. An interesting mix, but I have to say, I think this first  volume of eight episodes doesn't have anything quite so strong as what the first season had. "The Drowned Giant" is probably the strongest of them, but it's a classic story from J.G. Ballard kept pretty much unchanged from the source. It was directed by Tim Miller himself, and animation by Blur Studio.

There's practically no sex (other than a brief fade-to-black moment) and nudity (except for full frontal male nudity in "The Drowned Giant"), another difference from the first season.

Some thoughts on individual episodes, in vague ranking order from favorite to least favorite:

Spoiler

"The Drowned Giant" - A classic examination of man's ability to revel in any curiousity or spectacle, and then to grow tired of it or keep vague souvenirs. The crowds of people in it were not the most convincingly rendered by Blur, but the giant himself was incredibly detailed.

"All Through the House" - The shortest of them by far, and the only original story, but very cute. Felt like a Twilight Zone kind of story.

"Life Hutch" - Classic Harlan Ellison yarn, kind of a thriller approach to things. Fairly tight. Michael B. Jordan didn't have a whole mess to say, line-wise, and I wonder if he did the mocap for any of it or if they just scanned in his head and had him record a few lines. Surprised the enemy alien species weren't named, the Kyben, who appear in several of Ellison's stories (most famously being "Demon with a Glass Hand"). 

"Ice" - The ending of this one is very different from the source story by Rich Larson which was published in Clarkesworld, and not for the better. The animation style is beautiful, though, and very similar to "Zima Blue" (no surprise, since Passion Animation Studio animated them both).

"Automated Customer Service" - Cute Scalzi story, in the vein of "Three Robots" from the first season. Slight but funny. 

"Pop Squad" - Nicely animated, with a cool retro 50s design to things like flying vehicles, but the ending feels abrupt. A detail here becomes an easter egg in "The Drowned Giant", though. The protagonist, if you can call him that, is going to be a tough sell for some viewers given that his occupation is murdering (err, eliminating) children.

"The Tall Grass" - Fun little creepy story, loved the painterly texturing on this, but it's pretty thin.

"Snow in the Desert" - So, this one had the most images that looked absolutely, 100% live action, and an intriguing setting... but it was more on the level of the first season's "Shape-Shifters" as far as story goes for me. It's based on a Neal Asher story. Again, it felt like it moved a touch too quickly.

Archived