Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

Werthead

• 3 weeks later...

Per Alberto Mielgo's instagram story today, another LD+R trailer is dropping tomorrow.

A couple of weeks ago Blur studio shared some shots from the season on their own Instagram, here. Looks like a direct sequel to Scalzi's "Three Robots". A really cool, Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant-seeming bit of sci-fi animation featured in another shot. And given that Mielgo posted about the trailer, that first shot (from  the same episode briefly glimpsed in the trailer) definitely has the hallmarks of his visual style. 

28 minutes ago, Ran said:

May 20th for the new season of nine episodes:

The fact that all of these look interesting in their own way and the animations look top notch has me more excited than I expected to be.

Wikipedia has the alleged list of writers and it's ... fascinating. Joe Abercrombie is listed as the screenwriter of "Mason's Rats", which is itself based on a Neal Asher story (one of two in this season). Bruce Sterling and Michael Swanwick also have stories adapted.

Oh, and I see Joe confirmed this in a tweet:

Pretty cool!

• 2 weeks later...

I flamed out on the first season when it was feeling, from memory, too heavy on sexual violence and general exploitative/edgy vibe - specifically the fox one was what pushed me over the edge - but did still think there was plenty of value in it, just didn't fit what I was feeling. I see from replies in here that I wouldn't have that issue with the batch from S2 and I think I'm feeling giving it another chance now, which is pretty good timing for S3 coming out!

"Bad Travelling" is directed by none other than David Fincher. Pretty cool! Fincher has been interviewed by Collider about the season, his direction, and there's a long section on Alberto Mielgo's "Jibaro" (apparently totally blew away Fincher, Tim Miller, and Steven Soderbergh). 

I haven't gotten that far, want to watch in order. Of the five we've seen, absolutely "The Very Pulse of the Machine" is my favorite -- amazing, Moebius-like appearance, Mackenzie Davis voicing the lead, just gorgeous colors and visuals. (BTW, the original Swanwick story is available at Clarkesworld.) "Bad Travelling" has to be second. "Night of the Mini Dead" is fun, and the tilt-shift effect is amazingly effective (the first glimpse of a famous government-related building looks like it's a physical miniature, it's uncanny). The Scalzi is also amusing, though the end joke was a bit too on the nose for my taste. Least favorite is "Kill Team Kill", reminds me a lot of "Sucker of Souls" which I also didn't really care for.

Brilliant. Amazing. A feast for the senses.

Three Robots: Exit Strategies: Wow, that's hilarious. They had me right up to the cat at the end. 

Bad Travelling: Wow, that's a lot of gore. Nightmare fuel, that is.

The Very Pulse of the Machine: Wow, that's trippy.

Night of the Mini Dead: Wow, that escalated quickly. 

Kill Team Kill: Wow, those guys are douchebags. 

Swarm: Wow, we're all doomed.

Mason's Rats: Wow, we're all doomed.

In Vaulted Halls Entombed: Wow, that's Cthulhu.

Jibaro: Wow, how the hell did they make that?

Finished.

Jibaro was incredible. Bad Travelling was probably my favorite; sinister, but with a heroic tinge. The Very Pulse of the Machine was trippy and had the best soundtrack. The weakest was Kill Team Kill.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Finished.

Jibaro was incredible. Bad Travelling was probably my favorite; sinister, but with a heroic tinge. The Very Pulse of the Machine was trippy and had the best soundtrack. The weakest was Kill Team Kill.

Night of the Mini Dead was the weakest for me. Kill Team Kill at least made me laugh.

Just finished it all. "Swarm" was pretty imaginative in the story setting, though actually it reminded me slightly of a part of Banks's Look to Windward (the airsphere part). "Mason's Rats" was not quite as funny as I had hoped it'd be -- I somehow expected the rats to talk -- but it was amusing enough. "In Vaulted Halls Entombed" was best towards the end once the characters move from the normal world to something more ... eldritch, and ends on a gruesome note.

And then "Jibaro". How he and his team are able to hand animate every single frame of motion is beyond me. And I like Paul Greengrass, so the cutting was effective. The dancing of the golden woman/siren was just incredibly lifelike and realistic, and as expected I saw credits for dancers and choreographers who were filmed purely to provide visual reference material rather than for mocap or rotoscoping. Sara Silkin is the choreographer, and the main performer for the Golden Woman. She has a few posts on Instagram about the experience, and a snippet of video from a choreography session where she was directing a substitute dancer (I think we can hear Mielgo's voice as well, directing the male performer.)

She also shares her read of the story that she used to motivate her choreography and her own personal performance (lets just say it has similarities to "The Witness".) But I think that's only part of the narrative -- I'm pretty sure that Mielgo was pretty deliberately remarking on the rapaciousness of Spanish colonialism in the New World, with the Golden Woman as a kind of representative for the Inca and Aztecs and other cultures destroyed by the Spaniards.

Archived