Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

Werthead

A Chinese dancer (seems to have trained or perhaps teaches at the Beijing Dance Academy) has done a very fine attempt at recreating the Golden Woman from "Jibaro".  Best version of her TikTok rendition I can find is at some rather silly subreddit (it was reposted to the LDR subreddit) Don't have the TikTok original but here's a Twitterl ink with it:

She has a behind the scenes showing her putting the outfit together, and a funny reconstruction of the choreography from the scene where she dances around Jibaro (funny because it involves a sliding door with a Pikachu-like figure stuck to it to represent Jibaro). The later two links have Chinese text left by visitors scrolling over it, but there's a little slider button you can click under the video to turn those off.

A behind the scenes featurette on “Jibaro”:

And another on “The Very Pulse of the Machine”:

As an aside, I saw that Star Wars Visions 2 was noted as extending its invitation to studious outside of Japan, including India, Ireland, Chile, France… and Spain. Hmm! What odds Alberto Mielgo and his studio Pinkman.tv are working on an installment for Lucasfilm? The only really notable, active animation firm in Spain besides Pinkman is Skydance Animation Madrid, and their latest two releases are for Apple+ in a way that makes me think there’s a longterm deal which would likely preclude them from working for Disney right now.

I think my favourites are the ones based on Neal Asher stories, especially Bad Travelling. I've never read any of his stuff before but I'm gonna make a point of doing so now.

For those who dug "The Very Pulse of the Machine" and its artistic nods to Moebius, HBO Max has ordered an adult animation named Scavengers Reign to series, which definitely has a bit of Moebius to it, and Miyazaki, and no doubt other influences:

It seems to be an expansion of an Adult Swim short:

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Night of the Mini Dead is so funny.

I liked the use of tilt shift and the humor of it.

This popped up today on Youtube for me, though it's a week old or so: a featurette on "In Vaulted Halls Entombed", but not posted on Netflix's channel. Instead, it's on the Unreal Engine's and reveals that the whole thing was done using UE, which allowed some really interesting things in terms of real-time rendering:

On 6/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Werthead said:

Caught up on Volumes 2 and 3. Not a patch on the first volume, but some of the episodes were amusing (Mason's Rats and Night of the Mini Dead). Probably Swarm was the best out of the stories. There were a few too many "people fight monster which kills most/all of them" narratives, which Bad Travelling made work and Kill Team Kill and In Vaulted Halls Entombed did not. Jibaro of course has an amazing art style but like The Witness was the very definition of style over substance. Exit Strategies was fun but a bit obvious.

I was interested that they haven't tapped Peter F. Hamilton and Al Reynolds for more stories, given theirs were the best-received of Volume 1 and they both have plenty of stuff that would fit (I'd really like to see them give A Second Chance at Eden a go, but most of the stories in the same collection - including the already-filmed Sonnie's Edge - would be suitable).

Which ones were Hamilton and Reynolds adaptation in season 1 and 2?

On 7/6/2022 at 11:22 PM, Calibandar said:

Which ones were Hamilton and Reynolds adaptation in season 1 and 2?

"Sonnie's Edge" in S1 was Hamilton, and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" and "Zima Blue" in S1 were Reynolds. Neither were adaped in S2.

And Emmy noms out, and LD+R got two. "In Vaulted Halls Entombed" is nominated for sound editing in the half hour comedy, drama, or animation category... and "Jibaro" is nominated for outstanding short form animation; "The Witness" won that when it was nominated. "Jibaro" has tough competition this year, though, I expect: "The Duel" from Star Wars: Visions and"When Billie Met Lisa" Ffrom The Simpsons

• 4 weeks later...

Alberto Mielgo posted a 4 minute long animatic from "Jibaro", which Mielgo (possibly solo, but maybe with a team, I'd have to look at the credits if anyone else is noted for storyboarding) made to help guide the project. 

I missed this post from Mielgo who mentions that he recorded most of the sounds used, and that the sound of armor clanking and such was basically all just stuff from his kitchen. He also mostly used an iPhone to record everything, and praises the quality of its microphone(!) Crazy stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

At the Annie Awards this past week, "Jibaro" took Best Character Design, while "Bad Travelling" took Best FX and Best Writing, and "The Very Pulse of the Machine" took best Storyboarding. Between them, LD+R had 5 nominations.

Archived