Jump to content
Werthead

Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I still like suits although no one else seems to. I liked the redneck mundanity of mech warrior fighting mostly. I know some don't like it because the humans turn out to be aggressors  but that made me like it as chances were those "monsters" were in their right to attack 

I really liked Suits a whole lot. It's still in the top half of my rankings, it's just there were others I liked a bit more. But I really did like every episode even if some I thought were just "ok" and I rank Suits a bit higher than those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, red snow said:

I still like suits although no one else seems to. I liked the redneck mundanity of mech warrior fighting mostly. I know some don't like it because the humans turn out to be aggressors  but that made me like it as chances were those "monsters" were in their right to attack 

You're not the only one. Mech stuff is usually entertaining, and it was fun to see the farmer with the mech, but still with mug holder in the cabin. haha Also, like I said in a previous post, it made me think of Starcraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Beyond the Acquila Rift (This one I'm still not sure about. What exactly happened? Was it trying to be an homage to Event Horizon? Either way it lingered with me and that is a main reason its high up on my list).

There's something that I think was fairly clear in what happened which was that their craft had indeed ended up in some nether regions of space where this hive-like place existed where ships and their crews were lost.  And also clear is that there was a Matrix-like simulation being applied to the folks that ended up there to keep them from understanding their plight.

Less clear to me:  was that being created from a benevolent angle and the entity that was doing it really didn't want to expose them to reality and only did it under duress?  

Also unclear:  was the arachnid the one and only entity and if so, was it eating these people while sedating them with the Matrix-like dreamworld?  I think so, but I'm not 100% clear.

This one stuck with me a lot too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triskele said:

There's something that I think was fairly clear in what happened which was that their craft had indeed ended up in some nether regions of space where this hive-like place existed where ships and their crews were lost.  And also clear is that there was a Matrix-like simulation being applied to the folks that ended up there to keep them from understanding their plight.

Less clear to me:  was that being created from a benevolent angle and the entity that was doing it really didn't want to expose them to reality and only did it under duress?  

Also unclear:  was the arachnid the one and only entity and if so, was it eating these people while sedating them with the Matrix-like dreamworld?  I think so, but I'm not 100% clear.

This one stuck with me a lot too.

See, I came away with the impression it was the one creature who had shanghaied the ship and was feeding off the crews. The simulation was merely a way to keep them from knowing what was happening.  That all seemed obvious... perhaps there was more going on, but they didn't make that apparent...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

See, I came away with the impression it was the one creature who had shanghaied the ship and was feeding off the crews. The simulation was merely a way to keep them from knowing what was happening.  That all seemed obvious... perhaps there was more going on, but they didn't make that apparent...

This plus the possibilities Trisk put forth roughly ping-ponged around in my brain after it was over but I was confused as to if it was supposed to be ambiguous or I somehow missed something that made things definitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

See, I came away with the impression it was the one creature who had shanghaied the ship and was feeding off the crews. The simulation was merely a way to keep them from knowing what was happening.  That all seemed obvious... perhaps there was more going on, but they didn't make that apparent...

I think that possibility is totally on the table and the ending, if one interprets it in the most pessimistic way, looks that way.  But the way that the simulation seems to offer the choice...in a sort of red pill / blue pill kind of way, makes me think a bit.  

But I did also totally wonder about something you touched on...was this hive a place ships ended up accidentally because space travel is hard, or was it luring ships as you suggest.

I'd be curious if anyone who knows the book knows whether that text offers concrete answers / how much does this short on Netflix mirror that book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I think that possibility is totally on the table and the ending, if one interprets it in the most pessimistic way, looks that way.  But the way that the simulation seems to offer the choice...in a sort of red pill / blue pill kind of way, makes me think a bit.  

But I did also totally wonder about something you touched on...was this hive a place ships ended up accidentally because space travel is hard, or was it luring ships as you suggest.

I'd be curious if anyone who knows the book knows whether that text offers concrete answers / how much does this short on Netflix mirror that book?

The book makes it no more clear, though it's more implied that the eldritch creation Gretathing is honestly compassionate, and is trying to care for them as it says it is. The book is also significantly more unknowable and beyond sanity in the description of things. 

And also way less porny.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 2 aliens visible in the periphery of one shot as he's waking up, so definitely not a solitary alien but I still think benevolent. It's just a more creative take to have the horror creatures genuinely trying to help despite never getting anything out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the main reasons I took "lure" away from the story was the shot at the end of the entire web of ships and detritus...it felt like an actual web...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

One of the main reasons I took "lure" away from the story was the shot at the end of the entire web of ships and detritus...it felt like an actual web...

Yeah, I think that's a failure of the artists. It looked like a random ball of crappy trash caught in a giant web. The book makes it far more vague and disturbing without making it specifically about trapping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m conflicted about this series.  I really really like the concept of a sci fi anthology of short episodes, and the animation was generally pretty good.  But I thought most of the storylines were quite basic.  I liked Sonnie’s Edge, one of the few that had a twist I didn’t see coming, which is interesting because I’ve never read Hamilton.  Besides that I enjoyed the ones with no particular agenda, like Ice Age or Suits.  Didn’t like the Reynolds ones but I’m not much of a fan of Reynolds in the first place.  The discussion of Aquila Rift in this thread is a lot more interesting than I thought the episode was at the time.

I seem to have another different order than I think has been mentioned so far: Aquila Rift, Robots, Sonnie, Fish Night, Secret War, Ice Age, Witness, Suits, Soul Sucker, Yoghurt, Good Hunting, Dump, Shape Shifter, Hand, Lucky 13, Zima, Blindspot, Alternate Histories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You are not ready for this.

Does Greta-like alien think that after many simulations Tom will really believe everything she says is true?

And Tom is hypocrite because he doesn't love inner beauty of alien but Greta's outer beauty. This story has parallels with Beaty and the Beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Does Greta-like alien think that after many simulations Tom will really believe everything she says is true?

And Tom is hypocrite because he doesn't love inner beauty of alien but Greta's outer beauty. This story has parallels with Beaty and the Beast.

1: Seems like that's an impossible question to answer based on the info given.

2: He's hardly a hypocrite. If we deescalate from "alien race who seemingly/probably use simulations to keep prey pacified" to "human relationships", lying about who you are isn't love, and any love you get from it isn't real. If anything, it's a story of catfishing.

And I don't get the parallel either - Beast was "ugly" from the beginning. Unless you're talking about Belle, who is kind of horrible in some ways.

ETA: Fuck, took me hours for it to even occur to me that you might be thinking of the folk tale version and not the Disney version, sorry. :bang: After reading a synopsis though, I'm still not sure I see it.

Edited by lacuna
Disney usurping my brain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, Kalbear said:

And also way less porny.  

When I saw the hype for this show I saw a few "it's male-gazy" criticisms, and this one jumped out once I watched.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Triskele said:

When I saw the hype for this show I saw a few "it's male-gazy" criticisms, and this one jumped out once I watched.  

I didn't think that one was the worst of the lot, and the story kind of explains it (I think it would have worked better if it had been a female captain instead, and had what she wanted most of all as the 'hook'). Witness was really, really bad, and as far as I can tell had no reason in the show for being that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just rewatched Acquila Rift and a couple things occurred to me.

1. Greta says it's always the same routing error that brings ships there, so f she's to be believed if it's always the same place ships end up maybe she made her web there to catch them all.

Also, of course I noticed Thom looked like hell when awaking to "reality" but on second viewing I saw that he looked like he could be drained of blood and Suzy looked like she had just recently died from being drained and Ray looked like he'd been dead a while but could have been the same way.

So maybe Greta feeds on each life drinking their blood but she also, in her way, takes care of the "souls" she uses for sustenance so they can think they are in a pleasant enough simulation until she's used them completely up.

Also, just went onto IMDB to look at the actors who played voices of the characters and HOLY SHIT they animated them to look just like the actors who played them.

I mean I know they did this in "Lucky 13" but only because I recognized Samira Wiley from "Orange is the New Black" and "The Handmaid's Tale".

But these are the actors:

Thom:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1397732/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1

Greta:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5691121/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t2

Suzy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9925112/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

 

I guess other episodes probably did similar with their character designs too, but the near perfection with "Lucky 13" and "Acquila Rift" is just amazing! The uncanny valley really seems to be shrinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your phrase "the uncanny valley seems to be shrinking."  I had a similar thought with several of the episodes on this like Sonnie's Edge, Acquila Rift, the Werewolves in Afghanistan (blanking on the title), Soviets v. Ghouls (also blanking on the title).  

All of these looked like video games but better than ever like the tech just jumped up to closer to reality / shrinking the uncanny valley.

Heh, speaking of that.  The Soviets v. Ghouls really reminded me of Dragon Age in the sense of there's some hole in reality via which some ghouls / demons are flooding in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I like your phrase "the uncanny valley seems to be shrinking."  I had a similar thought with several of the episodes on this like Sonnie's Edge, Acquila Rift, the Werewolves in Afghanistan (blanking on the title), Soviets v. Ghouls (also blanking on the title).  

All of these looked like video games but better than ever like the tech just jumped up to closer to reality / shrinking the uncanny valley.

Heh, speaking of that.  The Soviets v. Ghouls really reminded me of Dragon Age in the sense of there's some hole in reality via which some ghouls / demons are flooding in.  

I think a real indication of the valley narrowing is I visually recognized an actor as an animated character (Wiley). Before this with animation it's always been "I know that voice..." which also happened with "Lucky 13" but I knew what actress I was watching as soon as I saw her.

 

Isn't it an urban legend that they dug a hole in Russia so deep it literally went to Hell? 

Ah I found a wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_to_Hell_hoax

 

Wouldn't be surprised if this inspired both Dragon Age and The Secret War

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Netflix has ordered a second season volume of Love, Death, & Robots. Yay! Also, veteran animation director Jennifer Yuh Nelson has been brought on board to be supervising director for the next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ran said:

Netflix has ordered a second season volume of Love, Death, & Robots. Yay! Also, veteran animation director Jennifer Yuh Nelson has been brought on board to be supervising director for the next season.

Cool. It was rough around the edges but was a breath of fresh air to have 5-30 minute episodes with a wide range of animation styles. Hopefully some more writers next time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×