Werthead

Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

I hope we get more stuff based on stories by Alastair Reynolds.

Maybe a Merlin story or something from the Revelation Space universe.

Stuff based on works by Greg Egan or Robert Reed would be awesome too.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, red snow said:

Cool. It was rough around the edges but was a breath of fresh air to have 5-30 minute episodes with a wide range of animation styles. Hopefully some more writers next time too.

Saw someone say they had interviewed the director of the "Helping Hand" episode a week ago and LD&R came up, and they indicated that their understanding was that the plan was definitely fresh faces for each volume. That said, as I noted earlier, Tim Miller asked the writer of "Sucker of Souls" to create another story featuring the characters because he enjoyed it so much. So we may see a revisit or two, but I'd expect mostly new writers.

Edited by Ran
Corrected the episode title Miller wanted a follow-up to.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Saw someone say they had interviewed the director of the "Helping Hand" episode a week ago and LD&R came up, and they indicated that their understanding was that the plan was definitely fresh faces for each volume. That said, as I noted earlier, Tim Miller asked the writer of "Blindspot" to create another story featuring the characters because he enjoyed it so much. So we may see a revisit or two, but I'd expect mostly new writers.

That sounds like a good balance. I'd probably say the same about the animators too. Although they should at least ensure the animators and writers are mixed up. Although that might be tricky in cases where the animators wrote their episode as well. Guess my point is i definitely want to see the likes of  " the witness" animation again but I'd like a really different story.

Hopefully it's already underway so we get another edition soon. Although i guess they can produce quite quickly when it's actually a dozen teams making one episode.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

That sounds like a good balance. I'd probably say the same about the animators too. Although they should at least ensure the animators and writers are mixed up. Although that might be tricky in cases where the animators wrote their episode as well. Guess my point is i definitely want to see the likes of  " the witness" animation again but I'd like a really different story.

Hopefully it's already underway so we get another edition soon. Although i guess they can produce quite quickly when it's actually a dozen teams making one episode.

Some of them took a lot of months to make, I think. I wouldn't expect another volume this year.

Re: "The Witness", Alberto Mielgo posted a teaser for a short film titled The Windshield Wiper, which he says is his next project. Similar style, and you can see he copped a couple of key character designs in "The Witness" from his work on that. More story, but there's sex and nudity (both genders, included in the teaser for that matter, so NSFW): 

"The Witness" is now nominated for an Emmy in Outstanding Short Form Animation category. Up against episodes/sketches from Robot Chicken, SpongeBob SquarePants, Steven Universe, 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, Ran said:

"The Witness" is now nominated for an Emmy in Outstanding Short Form Animation category. Up against episodes/sketches from Robot Chicken, SpongeBob SquarePants, Steven Universe, 

I doubt that it will win. I loved the animation but the nudity will rub a lot of people the wrong way. 

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

I doubt that it will win. I loved the animation but the nudity will rub a lot of people the wrong way. 

Not just the nudity.

The animation was unreal though.  Kind of like nothing I'd seen before.  

On 7/18/2019 at 11:10 PM, maarsen said:

I think if it's judged solely on the criteria of the award ( I know, I'm naive) it has a good chance as the animation was the standout of that show and anything else I've seen this year. 

But I'm not sure whether the emmys like Netflix so Teen Titans will probably win.

At least they'll be able to find a clip to show at the rewards which is nice advertising. Editors probably need to start now to find a clip that doesn't involve nudity or sexual violence that they can use though.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The Witness was incredible to look at, I’m still trying to figure out how they did it.

There is an old technique called rotoscopy. Ralph Bakshi used it to do the first Lord of The Rings movie. He didn't have digital formats but worked in analogue. I suspect this is what was used using digital cameras. 

Violence never stopped an award being given but show pubic hair or a penis and those pearls are clutched in a death grip. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, maarsen said:

There is an old technique called rotoscopy. Ralph Bakshi used it to do the first Lord of The Rings movie. He didn't have digital formats but worked in analogue. I suspect this is what was used using digital cameras. 

Violence never stopped an award being given but show pubic hair or a penis and those pearls are clutched in a death grip. 

Nope. No rotoscoping, no mocap. Completely hand-done keyframe animation, per Alberto Mielgo. They used filmed footage for reference (IIRC, three female models/dancers/actresses are credited for having provided reference footage), but it was used to eyeball the animation rather than rotoscoping.

There's an interview I missed, here, which goes into more details.

Edited by Ran

11 hours ago, Ran said:

Nope. No rotoscoping, no mocap. Completely hand-done keyframe animation, per Alberto Mielgo. They used filmed footage for reference (IIRC, three female models/dancers/actresses are credited for having provided reference footage), but it was used to eyeball the animation rather than rotoscoping.

There's an interview I missed, here, which goes into more details.

That is just incredible then. I suspected it was live action and they had somehow managed to overlay visuals on the top, but it being keyframed is beyond amazing. There was something so hyper real about the movements. 

Yeah, Mielgo's really a visionary. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse largely owes its aesthetic to the work he and his team did in pre-production, and the most iconic scene from it is pretty much straight from his storyboard/animatic. 

I suspect it won't win the Emmy for reasons stated, given how many people are too turned off by the content to actually realize how amazing it is on a technical level. It's easily, without a question, the most technically accomplished of the LD+R animations.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yeah, Mielgo's really a visionary. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse largely owes its aesthetic to the work he and his team did in pre-production, and the most iconic scene from it is pretty much straight from his storyboard/animatic. 

I suspect it won't win the Emmy for reasons stated, given how many people are too turned off by the content to actually realize how amazing it is on a technical level. It's easily, without a question, the most technically accomplished of the LD+R animations.

If i was mielgo's agent I'd be strongly urging him to make something that doesn't have nudity in it. Collect the awards and offers that will follow. Then make whatever the hell he wants.

But i guess things are going fairly well as is.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

If i was mielgo's agent I'd be strongly urging him to make something that doesn't have nudity in it. Collect the awards and offers that will follow. Then make whatever the hell he wants.

But i guess things are going fairly well as is.

He's already got an Emmy anyways, for his work on the Tron cartoon. People in the industry know who he is.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

He's already got an Emmy anyways, for his work on the Tron cartoon. People in the industry know who he is.

Didn't realize he made the tron cartoon. I quite enjoyed that show.

If he's already well known i guess he can do whatever he wants for a while without too many restrictions being placed.

Again, nudity and sex wasnt the problematic part of the witness. 

I wasn’t a fan of the story or the sex in the Witness at all I’ll admit, but was it problematic?

There was nothing problematic about it, for me or anyone I know who watched it. It's just that some people are desperate to impose their beliefs on others.

I thought it was problematic in the fact it was rubbish. I mean, arresting visuals, but the story and characterisation was utterly non-existent and the "twist ending" was boringly predictable. It was, I think, by far the weakest story of the entire series, no matter how striking it was to look at.