Ironborn appreciation

Hugorfonics

I get the feeling people don't like Ironborn.

I find their ancient history as inspiring as it is staggering, from resisting the Andals and their seven gods for the past few millennium to their further conquests and construction of the worlds greatest castle, the Ironislands history remains second only to Valayria.

They also stand second, only triumphed by Dorne, in womens rights. Where as most places women are considered to be bad luck during sailing, in the Iron Islands a woman can captain her own ship. They also have the practice of salt wives, in the rest of Westeros lords are known to have concubines whom often live destitute and in secret. Yet in the Iron Islands they can be part of their family, through the glory of their drowned god; all while saving yourself for your political marriage.

Where they excell above all others though is the rights of smallfolk. Anybody can captain a ship despite their birth or heritage and every captain is a king aboard his own ship. Their destiny belongs to them, along with their vote in their uniquely democratic and holy Kingsmoot. And although thralls can never be considered ironborn their children are de facto.

Plus axe throwing is just so cool

I find the Ironborn fascinating. I think the Victarion, Aeron, and Asha chapters where my favourites in AFfC, the Kingsmoot chapter specifically being my favourite in the book. Not to mention that Aeron sample chapter we have for TWoW looks godly. Euron is my favourite non POV character. 

Its not even just the main story either. I find Dagon Greyjoy to be a very interesting character, and I hope we get to see him in future Dunk and Egg novels. Dalton Greyjoy was also very fun to read about. 

What I like about the Ironborn is their "just get to it, take no prisoners" attitude (yeah, yeah, they take prisoners, I know). It doesn't leave George a lot of room for lollygagging with them. In ten chapters (not counting Theon's), they get more done in Feast/Dance than anyone. They were moving so fast, he had to stop including them in the narrative just to slow them down.

There is so much unique and awesome stuff with the Ironborn.

House Farwynd of the Lonely Light - always thought they were pretty wicked, being remote and wargs and all.

Seems like nobody really knows where they came from - across the Sunset Sea maybe. I like the air of mystery and connection with Merlings and all that could entail.

Same deal with The Seastone Chair - oily black stone etc. all the potential connections that could have...

The fact they could be an entirely different race from the First Men and Andals.

Finger Dancing - how cool is that?

Also always loved how  although they are kind of obscure now and contained on the islands, they used to be some of the most powerful forces in all of Westeros, prior to Aegon arriving.

Finally, always liked how there are some Ironborn houses who rose from Thralldom to become Lords in their own right.

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

I get the feeling people don't like Ironborn.

I find their ancient history as inspiring as it is staggering, from resisting the Andals and their seven gods for the past few millennium to their further conquests and construction of the worlds greatest castle, the Ironislands history remains second only to Valayria.

They also stand second, only triumphed by Dorne, in womens rights. Where as most places women are considered to be bad luck during sailing, in the Iron Islands a woman can captain her own ship. They also have the practice of salt wives, in the rest of Westeros lords are known to have concubines whom often live destitute and in secret. Yet in the Iron Islands they can be part of their family, through the glory of their drowned god; all while saving yourself for your political marriage.

Where they excell above all others though is the rights of smallfolk. Anybody can captain a ship despite their birth or heritage and every captain is a king aboard his own ship. Their destiny belongs to them, along with their vote in their uniquely democratic and holy Kingsmoot. And although thralls can never be considered ironborn their children are de facto.

Plus axe throwing is just so cool

As an Iromborn hater myself, I do think there are a few cool things about them. 

ONE: Rodrik the Reader is awesome. 

TWO: Asha and Theon are incredible characters, and both of their chapters in ADWD are some of the best in the series. 

THREE: Victarion’s second chapter in AFFC is pretty great. 

Not an Ironborn fan, but I like those things. 

Archived