Poll: Will Brienne Be A New Hound?

Platypus Rex

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following question?

Will Brienne of Tarth Put On the Hound Helm, and Otherwise Be Mistake For or Confused With Sandor Clegane?

For context, this theory has been discussed before, though I don't recall that it ever had its own thread on this forum.   Hopefully, the summary below will be adequate.

Jaime once compared Brienne to The Hound (the Hound with teats, except she has no teats), crudely implying that there was no real difference between them.  This was seemingly meant just as a mean-spirited joke.  Nonetheless, a number of curious parallels, both in terms of appearance and history, between Sandor and Brienne, have inspired the idea that they are perhaps being set up to be confused with each other.  Meanwhile, the Elder Brother's statement that the Hound is dead, but Sandor at peace, can be read as suggesting that Sandor, even if alive, is no longer "the Hound".    Meanwhile the "Hound" identity has outlived its association with Sandor, first as Rorge, and then as Lem Lemoncloak.  While many fans expect Sandor to eventually leave the Quiet Isle, and reclaim his "Hound" identity and persona, others suspect that the Helm of Terror is actually destined for Brienne, who was in the vicinity of the helm, when last seen in her own point-of-view.

The similarities/parallels include, but are not necessarily limited to:  Both are broad-shouldered warriors taller than King Robert.  Both were formerly on a kingsguard, despite not being knights.  Each once won a tournament, partly in consequence of an alleged dirty trick involving Loras Tyrell.   Moreover, the similarities between them seem to have increased with time.  Brienne has suffered serious injuries on one side of her face.  Brienne seemed to have aged 10 years when last observed by Jaime.  Each has been seen wandering the realm in the company of a (seeming) boy.  Both have sustained upper-thigh and forearm injuries.  Each was badly injured at a fight at the Crossroads Inn, against multiple adversaries, and then denied mercy by a Lady Stark.

Some of these parallels suggest that these characters could be confused with each other, even when making honest remarks about their own history.

But will it happen?  What would be Brienne's motive for adopting such an identity?  Or is something else going on?

Please feel free to give reasons for your answer, or otherwise elaborate.   However, please refrain from arguing with reasons given by other posters until at least the third page of this thread.  After that, have at it.

Thank you in advance for all votes.

----------------------------------x

4 for to 14 against, so far:

• For:  Springwatch, the Other Wolf, Lollygag, Haus Berlin.
  • Against:  Nevets, BRANDON GREYSTARK. Euron III Greyjoy, Seams, Clegane'sPup, Lady Isis, Great Oshiro, Nyser1, White Ravens, rotting sea cow, Legitimate_Bastard, bent branch, Shara, LordMarek.

But remember, boys and girls, just because it is unpopular, does not mean it is not true!

-----------------------------------X

Previous "Unpopular Theory" Polls (in order of popularity):

• "Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?"*:  16 for to 29 against (35.6%).  Supported by  Gertrude, chrisdaw, WyldFyre, Penny's Got a Gun, Megavora, Back door hodor, Lost Melnibonean, Tucu, acwill07, Ibbison from Ibben, Son of Man, Remiem, OtherFromAnotherMother, Lynesse, Jo Maltese, Paltogue.  Opposed by:  HelenaExMachina, kissdbyfire, many others.
  • "Is Sweetrobin the Son of Littlefinger":  11 for to 18 against (37.9%).  Supported by:  Back door hodor, Lollygag, Haus Berlin, Legitimate_Bastard, LadyOlenna, Aurane, Lynesse, Aegon VII, Sigella, Lost Melnibonean, Prince Henryis
  • "Is the House with the Red Door in Dorne?"*:  8 in favor to 29 against (21.6%).  Supported by  TPTWP Timett, Sly Wren, Nezza86, Impbread, Sophia Wilson17, Sigella., Lollygag, Sweet Desire.  Opposed by:  Ran, Ygrain, many others.
  • "Did Summer See a Dragon?"*:  8 for to 38 against (17.4%).  Supported by:  Legitimate_Bastard, rustythesmith, TPTWP Timett, Remirem, kleevedge, Gertrude, Wolfkin, sweetsunray.  Opposed by:  The hairy bear, kissdbyfire, Lost Melnibonean, many others.
  • "Is Jon Snow the Son of a Dayne?":  8 for to 40 against (16.6%).  Supported by:   Sly Wren, Enuma Elish, Vaedys Targaryen, JS97, SophiaWilson17, kleevedge, Luddagain, Maelerys.  Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, many others.
  • "Is Daario actually Euron?"*:  3 in favor to 43 against (6.6%).  Supported by: Adam Targaryen, Paltogue, BRANDON GREYSTARK.  Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, Lost Melnibonean, many others.
  • "Is Varys a Woman"*:  2 for to 32 against (5,9%).  Supported by:  Rufus Snow, Jabar of House Titan.  Opposed by:  The hairy bear, many others.
  • "Is Quentyn, called 'Frog', Still Alive?"*:  2 for to 46 against (4.2%).  Supported by: SophieWilson17, Tucu. Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, many others.

Voting still open in the original thread.  To save space, I have only listed the names of the brave souls who supported each prior Unpopular Theory, as well as one or two Forum V.I.P.s who opposed it.  No disrespect to the other Victorious Winners of the poll is intended.  The full tally of names of all voters can be found in the original threads.  While I do not county my own votes, those I support are marked with a "*".

Yes.

Hounds are hunters, and that's what she's got to be. (And aren't most of the hunting dogs we've seen actually bitches?)

She wouldn't want a terrifying helmet on the hunt for Sansa. But she might if she switched to her vengeance mission on Stannis.

NO

I can see no advantage to doing so and plenty of disadvantages - such as the fact that the Hound himself is being actively hunted, especially for Saltpans.

Brienne is not one to seek attention, especially the sort of unwanted attention that pretending to be the Hound would bring, nor is the sort who would try to instill fear in her opponents.  She is what she is.

No.

The man wearing the Hound helmet held the rope that hanged Brienne - she is the puppet, not the puppeteer. (Sandor played with his brother's jointed wooden knight years ago, making him the puppeteer in that relationship.)

Ser Duncan the Tall wounds his own face in an attempt to assuage Rohanne Webber, who wants the blood of Bennis after he causes the "claret on the cheek" wound to her digger. And Bloodraven is born with a wine stain birthmark on his face. I think these facial features would have to be part of the same basket of symbols if you are using facial wounds as a basis to compare Brienne and Sandor. Maybe also include the bruise Robert raises on Cersei's face when he slaps her.

I think Brienne is more likely to be a new Barristan than a new Hound.

In martin's ASOIAF world Brienne is a joke. I prefer to think of Breinne as innocent, pure of heart.

A woman who wants to be a knight. A woman whose father loved her and allowed her individuality. In her protected upbringing she had no idea what she would face when she ventured from Tarth.

Brienne never fought the Hound, Sandor.

Let's not forget Jaime came back to save Brienne from the bear.

Let's not forget Robert's bastard stabbed Biter who took a chunk out of Brienne's face.

I would like for Brienne to go home and rule her father's land.

My dread is Brienne dies while defending Jaime.

3 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Will Brienne of Tarth Put On the Hound Helm, and Otherwise Be Mistake For or Confused With Sandor Clegane?

No.

6 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Unless Brienne takes a sudden turn for the worse in her morals, no.  Sandor might take up the helm again if George gives in to the fans calling for the Clegane bowl crap.

12 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

In order to take on the persona and live out her days (or the war to come) as the Hound, NO.

Is there a chance she pulls a "Ghost of Renly" move, maybe yes.

A "Ghost of Renly" scenario would qualify, as would many other scenarios.  She puts on the Helm and someone mistakes her for Sandor, So I've marked you as a "yes", until and unless you tell me you're leaning more towards "maybe no" than "maybe yes".

You kinda have two different questions going on here. 

If the question is "will Brienne be a new Hound?", then no. We already have a Hound and I don't think we'll see any character become a recycled version of a different character. 

Will Brienne of Tarth Put On the Hound Helm, and Otherwise Be Mistake For or Confused With Sandor Clegane? Yes, I feel like something like this is going to happen. But she'll still be Brienne. 

It's all about context. Unleashing the Hound identity on smallfolk is indeed an atrocity, as it was at Saltpans. But Winter has come and the monsters are on the move - maybe like Old Nan's tales, maybe like a zombie horde. In that context, the doggedness and ferocity of the Hound can do a lot of good.

Stannis is in the north. Sansa wants to go north. The monsters are in the north. Hellhounds fight at the Wall.

I think we know where Brienne's heading. When she gets there, she'll need to fight like a legend or a superhero. Or a monster. (Whatever the difference is.)

[Already voted.]

26 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

It's all about context. Unleashing the Hound identity on smallfolk is indeed an atrocity, as it was at Saltpans. But Winter has come and the monsters are on the move - maybe like Old Nan's tales, maybe like a zombie horde. In that context, the doggedness and ferocity of the Hound can do a lot of good.

Stannis is in the north. Sansa wants to go north. The monsters are in the north. Hellhounds fight at the Wall.

I think we know where Brienne's heading. When she gets there, she'll need to fight like a legend or a superhero. Or a monster. (Whatever the difference is.)

[Already voted.]

Or a beast. 

A lot is made of SanSan being Beauty and the Beast, but the best variation of BatB in the series is Jaime & Brienne by miles. 

3 hours ago, Lollygag said:

If the question is "will Brienne be a new Hound?", then no. We already have a Hound and I don't think we'll see any character become a recycled version of a different character. 

Will Brienne of Tarth Put On the Hound Helm, and Otherwise Be Mistake For or Confused With Sandor Clegane? Yes, I feel like something like this is going to happen. But she'll still be Brienne. 

The bolded question, which has extra words to make it clearer, is what governs.  In the process, it defines what the title question means by "Be A New Hound".  The title version is merely meant to be a punchy, short-hand-version of the same question.

So I'm putting you down as a "yes".  Thank you for your vote.

19 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I never considered something like that. It looks like a plan.

I always assumed that Strongboar will be the next Hound after RW 2.0

I would say no for now, but I'm willing to change my mind

Archived