What is this?

Potsk

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Remember Ice Block? Thought that was stupid... Just wait to see this...

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

No? :wacko:

The ice block was gloriously... something...

• On Thursday, in a PR stunt designed to reveal the date of the beginning of season 7 this July, HBO put the date in a block of ice and invited fans to activate flamethrowers by commenting "FIRE" on Facebook Live. The fans would literally melt the ice to reveal the date. 

https://mashable.com/2017/03/09/game-of-thrones-ice-stunt/

• Naturally, a little PR mishap is no skin off Game of Thrones cast and crew, though star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau told The Daily Beast the event was painful for them as well:

I spoke to Dan [Weiss] and David [Benioff] about that and they were like, “Oh god… That’s embarrassing.” Everyone was like, “What’s going to happen?” “What’s going to happen?!” “It’s melting!” “It crashed!” “Oh my god!” It’s like, just walk away… just walk away. It’s just a date! You know, I was actually thinking, “Is there going to be a backlash and people will think, ‘F— you guys for that!’” but that’s really happened with every time the show kills off a major character: Never again! F— you! I’m never going to watch this show! and, you know, they keep coming back.

Game of Thrones is no stranger to the occasional stunt, but was an extra hour of melting ice worth it for the premiere? What other grand spectacle might they try when it comes time for a first trailer, or a Season 8 announcement?

• https://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-season-7-ice-block-embarassing/

11 hours ago, iheartseverus said:

I saw something earlier at another site that HBO has hidden 6 thrones all around the world and is hyping 'who will be the first to find one.'  That's all I know about it so far, but I'm sure we'll hear more, soon.

Can I keep it, if I find it? In that case, I might go for an adventure :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://gothamist.com/2019/03/29/game_of_thrones_fan_finds_iron_thro.php

First one to find it gets a golden crown.

HBO thought it was such a great idea to hide one in Queens, New York ... a place of roughly 35 million people within a two hour driving radius.

The average wait time to get to the Iron Throne inside the fort was SIX hours. Then everyone had 30 seconds to take their selfies.

I have met people on line that drove FIVE HOURS to get to NYC, and wait another SIX hours for their 30 seconds of camera time.

People dressed up as Dany, people dressed up as Jon, and I saw one guy dressed up as George haha.

Lucky for me, I'm from Queens and it was a 5 minute drive from where I lived. The gates open at 7am, but I got in line by 5:20am. Me and my friends were like #30 in line :D. The line grew to 500 behind us in a hour.

And then the Walking Dead type frenzy happened ... the stupidest shit ever. This entire HBO promotion was under-staffed. I only counted ~8 guys working there.

After the first gate of the fort opened, we had to hike another 5 minutes to the actual Iron Throne deep inside the fort. We would have to wait in a second line. Surprisingly everyone walked calmly, in line, from the first gate ... until TWO disasters happened in the same time.

Person #1 got to a fork in the road during the hike. After reading my map, I knew we had to turn LEFT. SUDDENLY a NYPD police car sped by and told us to "STAY TO YOUR RIGHT!". Person #1, being an idiot, listened and went to the right. The people behind him followed. I was like WTF? My instinct told me LEFT, but I stayed with the group going RIGHT. I (#30) started shouting at Person #1 if he knew what he was doing, and he replied yes. So I kept going. I thought Person #1 was being led by a HBO staff member. He wasn't.

I looked behind me, some of the People #31 to #100 were confused, like I was initially. And then Person ~#100 started going LEFT at the fork, and others followed. The formation that started with a CALM walk, BROKE in the MIDDLE, and everyone started RUNNING.

Person #1 - #99 abandoned their RIGHT march and started sprinting back in an open field to the Iron Throne. It was freaking madness. We didn't run in a line, we ran SPREAD OUT, in an OPEN field of grass like it was the Walking Dead and zombies were chasing us. I saw a girl, a pretty girl, all dressed up, fall flat on her face after we tried hopping over a short fence. 

It was the stupidest shit ever. Person#1 that probably showed up to the first gate at 3am, ended up being ~#120 at the real line to the Iron Throne.

I started out as #30 with my friends. I thought we would finish in 15 minutes. After the mad dash, we were like ~#110 in the real line. It took us 90 minutes to finish.

And you know what the worst part of this story is? You know who was the actual #1 to the real line on Sunday? It was the NYPD cops ... the same ones that SPED BY THE CROWD, TOLD US TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT exactly when Person#1 was at the fork in the road. If the cops showed up 15 seconds earlier or 15 seconds later, this sprint of 500 people in an open field would never have happened. GRRRRRHHHH!!!! Freaking NYPD cops told us to go the wrong way so they can get pictures with the throne first!!

Whatevers ... at least I didn't have to wait six hours. And it was Sunday, I would just be sleeping anyways if I didn't go. 

The Iron Throne was open from 7am - 7pm, but the crowd grew so large and so fast that by 9am, the gate was closed for the rest of the day. Anyone trying to go in after 9am would have to wait seven hours for their 30-second selfies. The staff just said f... it. They can't hold that many people inside, and had to close the gate for safety.

So many people were pissed off. I saw on Instagram that a group of friends drove down 5 hours to NYC, and were rejected at the gate at 9am. They were told to come back tomorrow, the last day, a Monday, a work/school day. 

Good job HBO, had to put one of the six Iron Thrones (in the entire world) in New York City, for only 5 days, with a staff of just ~8 people.

4 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

And you know what the worst part of this story is? You know who was the actual #1 to the real line on Sunday? It was the NYPD cops ... the same ones that SPED BY THE CROWD, TOLD US TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT exactly when Person#1 was at the fork in the road. If the cops showed up 15 seconds earlier or 15 seconds later, this sprint of 500 people in an open field would never have happened. GRRRRRHHHH!!!! Freaking NYPD cops told us to go the wrong way so they can get pictures with the throne first!!

So cheeky!!! 

18 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

So cheeky!!! 

I know! I wanted to stand up to the cops and call them out for screwing us over ... but I had my Longclaw with me, a real sword. I didn't think it would be smart to talk back to the cops with a real sword slung behind me.

Looking back at it ... it was pretty funny that I LITERALLY charged at the Iron Throne in an open grass field, carrying Longclaw with me lol

17 hours ago, Potsk said:

This is the purest definition of "sounds good, doesn't work"

I know, people still came and waited anyways.

We have this in New York City today:
https://www.amny.com/entertainment/game-of-thrones-nyc-1.29303160

This one should work a lot better since there is more open air at Rockefeller Center, and NO ONE is allowed to sit on it lol.

Anyways, back to the human size Iron Throne in the Fort Totten, Queens.

Potential TV Spoilers:

Spoiler

We have a Kings County and a Queens County in New York City. "Kings County" is the formal name of Brooklyn. "Queens Country" is just Queens.
A lot of New Yorkers theorized that because the last Iron Throne was found in Queens, a queen will win HBO's Game of Thrones.
My bet is on TV Dany!

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ah gotcha. All been found?

Yup. And sorry, none in your continent.

Some are hidden in the middle of a forest or a desert. Its kinda stupid and unfair. Someone local has to know the area to find these thrones. The clues they give you won't help unless you are from the area.

I just got lucky, and the Queens' Iron Throne is indoors. I think the other five are outdoors.

3 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

Yup. And sorry, none in your continent.

Some are hidden in the middle of a forest or a desert. Its kinda stupid and unfair. Someone local has to know the area to find these thrones. The clues they give you won't help unless you are from the area.

I just got lucky, and the Queens' Iron Throne is indoors. I think the other five are outdoors.

But im in a jungle in the middle of fucking nowhere, it'd be a perfect spot for one! :D

Archived