Mobile phone advice (is this an entertainment topic?)

First, I have been using Samsung since the first Galaxy. I loved it. I got a Note 2, loved it (except for the size). I upgraded years later to an S6...didn't love it. At the time, I was mostly focused on the HORRID battery. So I exchanged for an S7 (I usually keep phones for at least two years but not with the S6). I have had the S7 almost two years, but it has a terrible battery, and it is SO laggy. Every time a new Samsung comes out, reviews are raving about the amazing tech, but when I get it, especially the S7, it's unusable at times. I've tried all the regular advice: factory reset, clear cache, delete everything. It just sucks.

I'm thinking about grabbing a OnePlus 6T. Do any of you have any experience with this phone? The price is excellent, and I hear the battery is good, but I am concerned about lagging response time. Part of me thinks: just go iPhone, but I am not rich, and we were just issued brand new iPads for our job, and I hate so much of the things that people presumably love about Apple. Maybe I should do it anyway. I won't be using my phone the same way I use the iPad.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I switched from samsung to Huawei. Im not tech savvy at all so i dont know what to say about it, but i would not go back to samsung niw :dunno: i havent had any issues at all with the huawei

I've been looking at that phone too. I know you said you aren't too tech savy, but is there one thing you could point to and say, "THAT's why I won't go back to Samsung" If not, I understand!

I switched from an iphone (having had iphone 3/4/5/6) to an S7 edge and I was SO GLAD I made the move. Ok, so my first handset had a total meltdown after I'd had it for two weeks but once it was replaced it was completely fine. I used it for two years and did not have any issues with battery or anything else. Switched to an S9 in December. Again, totally happy with everything about it.

Samsung software has improved massively in last couple of years. Back in the days of Touchwiz, Samsung devices tended to start lagging quite noticeably after a few months. I'm currently using a Note 8 running One UI and the phone is as snappy as ever. 

OnePlus devices are good value for money. Can't speak for the 6T but I did own a 3T. Oneplus devices are fast - up there with the most responsive android phones. However Oneplus screens, while good enough, aren't up there with the best displays like Samsung and the camera is definitely mid range. 

I've always been partial to Samsung devices - their hardware really is second to none. I'd probably compare prices of the Note 9 and 6T. Prices of Samsung phones tend to drop quite a bit a few months after release and especially when the new flagships come out. If you can get a Note 9 at a similar price to the 6T then it's a no brainer to choose the Note 9 even if it is a bit more expensive because you get a better display, much better camera, better build quality, much better after sales support, headphone jack, expandable storage, wireless charging, better speakers and a bigger battery. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Samsung software has improved massively in last couple of years. Back in the days of Touchwiz, Samsung devices tended to start lagging quite noticeably after a few months. I'm currently using a Note 8 running One UI and the phone is as snappy as ever. 

OnePlus devices are good value for money. Can't speak for the 6T but I did own a 3T. Oneplus devices are fast - up there with the most responsive android phones. However Oneplus screens, while good enough, aren't up there with the best displays like Samsung and the camera is definitely mid range. 

I've always been partial to Samsung devices - their hardware really is second to none. I'd probably compare prices of the Note 9 and 6T. Prices of Samsung phones tend to drop quite a bit a few months after release and especially when the new flagships come out. If you can get a Note 9 at a similar price to the 6T then it's a no brainer to choose the Note 9 even if it is a bit more expensive because you get a better display, much better camera, better build quality, much better after sales support, headphone jack, expandable storage, wireless charging, better speakers and a bigger battery. 

Interesting. This is what I asked Kal (about the Notes), but this is intriguing. The Note 2 was my favorite phone ever...

On the OnePlus, I've heard the displays and camera are not as good. I don't think the display would bug me much, but the camera is a maybe.

Are the notes still amazing with their battery life? (I suppose so given the size...)

24 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Are the notes still amazing with their battery life? (I suppose so given the size...)

I get very good battery life on my Note 8. I also disable apps that I don't use so those services aren't always running in the background. Facebook especially is a battery hog.

19 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I've been looking at that phone too. I know you said you aren't too tech savy, but is there one thing you could point to and say, "THAT's why I won't go back to Samsung" If not, I understand!

Just find it generally easier to use, battery lasts forever, very good camera

I've played around with Android phones a few times and just have never really gotten on with them or liked the OS, I switched to iPhone after the demise of Blackberry a few years ago and am happy enough with them, they also just work more easily with my computer as I've been a Mac user for years, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the reputable phone manufacturers to be fair, just go with whichever one feels the most intuitive to use in the store, good luck!.

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I switched from samsung to Huawei. Im not tech savvy at all so i dont know what to say about it, but i would not go back to samsung niw :dunno: i havent had any issues at all with the huawei

Me too.  I was on Samsung Galaxy 5, thought I was a diehard Samsung fan, but the latest one was so ridiculously expensive it gave me second thoughts.  I sat down and considered what is the most important feature for me in a phone, and decided that battery is the priority.  I paid less than half the price of a new Samsung, for a new Huawei Mate 10 Pro so I saved a ton of money for other priorities, The battery is fantastic which has reduced my stress levels, and everything else works just fine so I really don't miss Samsung at all and just love my battery lasting so long I never need to worry about it.

Little known thing: There's a different processor used in Samsung phones in the US (latest gen: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845), and the rest of the world (Exynos 9810). Basically it means if you're outside the US you're going to get shafted on Samsung phones as far as performance and battery life. 

So not everyone here is talking about comparable phones.

Having said that I'm liking my S8 just fine, and will probably get an S9. Would be tempted to jump ship to Huawei, but there are legitimate security concerns there imo.

15 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Kal, would you say the new notes are better than the S6 and S7?

Oh gods yes, absolutely. So is the S8 and S9. The note  still has by far the best screen in the industry, and since I really like using my phone for watching movies and whatnot it's great. Battery life is okay - though I use it for Pokemon Go, which uses location, and that drains things like no tomorrow. 

I even use the note features, which is silly but cool. And the biometric scanner is kind of awesome on it too - something I thought I wouldn't care about, but I actually really like. The secure folder thing ends up being awesome too, because I can run two instances of Pokemon Go at the same time. 

Archived