Mobile phone advice (is this an entertainment topic?)

9 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Little known thing: There's a different processor used in Samsung phones in the US (latest gen: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845), and the rest of the world (Exynos 9810). Basically it means if you're outside the US you're going to get shafted on Samsung phones as far as performance and battery life.

That's not actually true though. Exynos is Samsung's own chipset and I think you will find that more often than not the software has been better optimised on the Exynos variant than it is on the Snapdragon variant. Prior to the Snapdragon 820, the Exynos chipset on Samsung devices were clearly superior. From the 820 onwards the differences in performance and battery life between the two chipsets are minimal. 

ETA. where Qualcomm does hold the advantage is in GPU performance. Adreno GPU in Qualcomm processors are better than Mali GPU in Exynos. 

• 4 weeks later...

All right, I've picked up the Note 9. It's so much faster, and the battery is infinitely better. I pull up maps because I drive for work a lot, and that horrid lag/loading (like I have an old Apple II) is gone. It loads almost instantly, it doesn't get bogged down, and I realize now how much my old phone was just a stressful piece of shit (S7). I went to Canada last weekend for an educational research conference, and even powered down a chunk of the day while flying, the phone couldn't maintain a charge through the whole day. I'm really glad I got this new phone.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, Consigliere said:

Samsung software has improved massively in last couple of years. Back in the days of Touchwiz, Samsung devices tended to start lagging quite noticeably after a few months. I'm currently using a Note 8 running One UI and the phone is as snappy as ever. 

OnePlus devices are good value for money. Can't speak for the 6T but I did own a 3T. Oneplus devices are fast - up there with the most responsive android phones. However Oneplus screens, while good enough, aren't up there with the best displays like Samsung and the camera is definitely mid range. 

I've always been partial to Samsung devices - their hardware really is second to none. I'd probably compare prices of the Note 9 and 6T. Prices of Samsung phones tend to drop quite a bit a few months after release and especially when the new flagships come out. If you can get a Note 9 at a similar price to the 6T then it's a no brainer to choose the Note 9 even if it is a bit more expensive because you get a better display, much better camera, better build quality, much better after sales support, headphone jack, expandable storage, wireless charging, better speakers and a bigger battery. 

I ultimately had a really hard time deciding between the OnePlus and the Note 9. The OnePlus had so much right, but there were a couple of functional things that pushed me away in the end. The one I remember at the moment is no headphone port. I have wireless headphones, but I also have quite a few wired headphones for those days when I misplace my single wireless pair. It just felt I wasn't ready to go wireless yet. But the Note 9 is great (though expensive).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 1:06 PM, Ronalddjon said:

Three years ago, I changed my iPhone to Xiaomi, I was delighted. For a year of use, processor performance was enough for the latest games and applications.

Same here. I was using Nokia phones until they became a part of Microsoft, then I switched to Samsung Galaxy phones, loved the mini series. Then I got iPhone XS for work and Xiaomi Redmi for personal needs. I don't play games on it, using mostly Waze and a browser. 

At the other end, I finally broke and got a phone again - I can just about manage to exist in the US without a phone (or without a phone number) but its too much of an asset for fieldwork to go without - and got a Motorola e5. They had  some sort of 2-for-1 sale so I ended up with a 16GB and a 32GB for 200 dollars. Knowing me, I will destroy the first one soon enough, so its good to have a backup.

I'm basically pleased with it - it does anything I need it to do without complaining (I'm actually not sure if I'm using the 16 or the 32 GB one. I should probably check) and the 5000 mAh battery is a joy - I seem to have an aversion to charging my phone, so the fact it generally lasts a good 4-5 days on a charge in the course of my daily life is a nice throwback to Nokia-with-snake phone days. Even using it in the field, where it spends a lot of time working as a GPS tracker or wifi hotspot, its holding on to a solid 1-2 days charge. It also charges quite fast, even from my laptop, which is also useful to get another half-day out of it with a really short charge. My only complaint is the camera isn't great, (but I'm also an exceptionally bad and hasty photographer, so it might not be all that bad.)

Always a Android, and my advice would be the new Samsung 10+. Had it and broke the screen, currently waiting on insurance to send at this moment.

I have had one iPhone in my life and hated everything about it. Not user friendly, imo. 

Archived