Events you are most looking forward to see in TWOW

On 10/14/2020 at 2:29 AM, Amris said:

A year later and after seasons 7&8 and the show ending sinking in I am not interested in Jon's story or Dany's story anymore now.

I definitely lost interest in Jon's. It is going to be so cringe worthy.

I'm most looking forward to the contrasts between Arianne, Sansa, Cersei, and Dany.

The dragon carnage is amusing to me. In the preview chapters, its hinted that Viserion and Rhaegal are going to be killing people no matter what side they're on. More of that please.

I want to see more of the Citadel and read more about its role in the Dance.  If they have the only copy of the Death of Dragons squirreled away in a basement there's got to be some secrets in there that they believe worth preserving, but never sharing.  A confession?  An accusation?

Are the Targs really special?  Is it just an affinity for dragons or is there something deeper?  Was a major mistake made in the time of Aegon the Unworthy, or perhaps in the Dance?  The seed of a dragon doesn't necessarily know the Westerosi rules of succession and those Blackfyres have to be there for... something... (recent threads have me doubting Faegon a bit)

I want to see Kingsblood used in blood magic and I want to see regular folks' used as well. I want to know what magic accepts as a king.  Does an Ironborn captain on his ship have blood as potent as a king's? Is the blood of an unknown royal bastard magic or does someone need to acknowledge a person as King for some transformation to take place? Is the whole kingsblood idea just a dupe to help bloodmages coerce otherwise good people into handing over sacrifices?

How many more absurd psychotic jawdropping chapters from Victarion are we going to witness before Euron's use for him is exhausted?

Yeah, and Dany and Jon and Arya and all of that too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 2:29 AM, Amris said:

A year later and after seasons 7&8 and the show ending sinking in I am not interested in Jon's story or Dany's story anymore now.

I still am interested in Arya's story and whether and how it intersects with Jeyne and Ramsay, in Aegon's campaign and in the Ice Battle.

Also I still stand to my notion that a ton of 2nd tier characters have to go. Fast.

The hope I am clinging to is that after seeing how poorly received the end of the show was, Martin is massively rewriting and reworking the end of the story. There was just so much about the end of the show that just did not work. Hopefully seeing things on screen play out so poorly will have struck a chord with him.

Its too much to hope that the end of the show wasn't given to them by Martin (the broad strokes at least), but hopefully he'll have seen that much of the ending made no sense, was completely anticlimactic and betrayed the character development so carefully crafted up to that point. I'm not expecting great things, but what else do we have right now but hope?..

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

A quiet, resigned sense of apathy slowly fading over to indifference?

Yes! For the past six weeks I've been doing a complete re-read of the entire series. First time I've read all the books cover-to-cover in ten years (last time was in anticipation of Dance). I have loved it and have been reminded of why I fell in love with this series so many years ago.

Now that I'm halfway through Feast/Dance I have started to feel a kind of impending doom. I'm nearing the end and I'm increasingly pessimistic about the chances of ever knowing the end of the story.

Over much of the past ten years my love for the series had faded a bit as the years of waiting piled up. Recently rekindled thanks to this re-read. Probably destined to fade away again as the wait for Winds continues...

Pretty all the stuff at the Wall. Feels kind of weird, that I've been making the joke
"Jon's still lying in the snow" to my friends, for nearly a decade, whenever we talk about this book. I'm really looking forward to Cercie's plot at Kings Landing as well and most of the stuff with the Iron Born characters.

The Battle of Meereen and the Meereenese Knot finally being untied.

The Battle of Winterfell. Stannis the Mannis really needs this dub.

Euron's attempt at creating an eldritch apocalypse. Some crazy shit is about to go down in Oldtown.

More info on the Others, mainly why they want to vanquish humanity.

Cersei fleeing for her wretched life when Faegon comes to town.

The identity of whoever is killing the Frey men in Winterfell (keep up the good work).

Jaime and Lady Stoneheart face to face.

Honestly, the events I'm anticipating the most are the ones we don't know about yet.

Given the amount of threads in these forums, I'm pretty sure that every reasonable outcome of every unresolved situation/question/mystery in the five books has been postulated here several times over. Somebody out there will have guessed the correct sequence of events following every cliffhanger. For some questions - such as the identity of Jon's parents or Aegon's - the possible outcomes have long since been boiled down to either/or situations, with almost every forum regular being familiar with the implications of the various possibilities. To use a metaphor, the dice have been in the air for so long that we've observed every side of them, now we're only waiting to see which sides will face up when they land.

Or to use another metaphor, reading this thread is like seeing bets on football matches. You don't know the exact outcomes (that's the point of betting), but you know who will play against whom and when, what the possible outcomes will be, and what the implications of the various outcomes will be. 

It will be refreshing to see something happen that hasn't been telegraphed by the previous books, or predicted by fan theories. It's like seeing a match outside the regular schedule, featuring a team you didn't know about, but which can influence the teams you follow. That's the sort of stuff I'm most eager to see. We need some new theories to discuss.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:06 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

It will be refreshing to see something happen that hasn't been telegraphed by the previous books, or predicted by fan theories. It's like seeing a match outside the regular schedule, featuring a team you didn't know about, but which can influence the teams you follow. That's the sort of stuff I'm most eager to see. We need some new theories to discuss.

I feel like the most unexpected, off-the-wall stuff is going to happen in the final book.

5 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I feel like the most unexpected, off-the-wall stuff is going to happen in the final book.

You are very optimistic, here we are grumbling about whether TWoW itself will release, and you have a great dream about A Dream of Spring... 

11 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

You are very optimistic, here we are grumbling about whether TWoW itself will release, and you have a great dream about A Dream of Spring... 

I'm sure that The Winds of Winter will be released.

A Dream of Spring is a different thing but however I think the bigger, crazier stuff that we have no chance of predicting or anticipating is more likely to happen in the final book. The biggest reason why that is is because we can't really begin to make good, comprehensive predictions for Dream until we get Winds. Another reason why is because the series is getting more and more magical and supernatural which allows Martin to effectively do almost anything he wants to...

On 2/13/2021 at 5:06 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

Honestly, the events I'm anticipating the most are the ones we don't know about yet.

Given the amount of threads in these forums, I'm pretty sure that every reasonable outcome of every unresolved situation/question/mystery in the five books has been postulated here several times over. Somebody out there will have guessed the correct sequence of events following every cliffhanger. For some questions - such as the identity of Jon's parents or Aegon's - the possible outcomes have long since been boiled down to either/or situations, with almost every forum regular being familiar with the implications of the various possibilities. To use a metaphor, the dice have been in the air for so long that we've observed every side of them, now we're only waiting to see which sides will face up when they land.

Or to use another metaphor, reading this thread is like seeing bets on football matches. You don't know the exact outcomes (that's the point of betting), but you know who will play against whom and when, what the possible outcomes will be, and what the implications of the various outcomes will be. 

Every dead horse has been beaten so many times there's nothing left to discuss but how many commas George will use in the book.

Every angle of every theory has been poured over so exhaustively that the only new speculation is of the absurdist variety (is Ned Stark alive and posing as the Sea Lord of Braavos?!?! :stunned:).

The TV show made things even worse by conforming a lot of theories, but the question remains is will the books differ?

Anyway. Hurry the hell up, George!

7 hours ago, Lord of Blackhaven said:

how many commas George will use in the book.

Between 8 and 10 thousand, considering the latest NotABlog update.

29 minutes ago, goodkingstannis said:

How about the number of times lemon cakes are mentioned? Someone says "words are wind"? Tyrion wonders where whores go?

Honestly, this should be in the TWOW bingo.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this has been said for a thousand times here, but I want to read THIS in TWOW:

Melissandre comes back (somehow), revives Daenerys. The Dragon Queen is now sort-of a pawn of the Red God. She is now much crazier than before she was killed. 

Hearing these latest developments, Bran reveals that he is the Nightking and that Arya only killed his alter ego.

Chaos ensues.

:)

Archived