Jump to content
T and A

Most stupid death (Show only)

Recommended Posts

Now that we are just six episodes away from the end of the story, in this epic journey there were a lot of deaths in this show. Some of them were epic and pretty good executed, some were badly executed and some were just straight stupid. 

In my opinion the most stupid death scene goes to the death of Littlefinger. His death is not only anticlimatic, but the execution is done extremely bad. Bran and Sansa make some claims (all true) and he gets killed without evidence, infront of all the northern lords and infront of the Vale. He says that he denies the claims, but Arya cuts his throat anyway. Now this was, by any law, straightforward murder, infront off all. And no one bat an eye. 

What were your worst death in this series? Im a courious to know.

(This is a show only discussion. Please don't discuss the books here). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, T and A said:

Now that we are just six episodes away from the end of the story, in this epic journey there were a lot of deaths in this show. Some of them were epic and pretty good executed, some were badly executed and some were just straight stupid. 

In my opinion the most stupid death scene goes to the death of Littlefinger. His death is not only anticlimatic, but the execution is done extremely bad. Bran and Sansa make some claims (all true) and he gets killed without evidence, infront of all the northern lords and infront of the Vale. He says that he denies the claims, but Arya cuts his throat anyway. Now this was, by any law, straightforward murder, infront off all. And no one bat an eye. 

What were your worst death in this series? Im a courious to know.

(This is a show only discussion. Please don't discuss the books here). 

The fact that he got killed didn't surprise me (why should anyone care about him in that room?) but the fact that LF didn't have any real plan or strings to pull or control over anyone made me wonder why he was still in Winterfell at all. I found it a let down, sure, but more for the Stark kids, because it didn't feel like they genuinely outwitted LF, he just stopped effectively plotting and scheming and then died.

I thought Roose Bolton's death was pretty dumb. He's spends the entire series as a calculating, careful schemer, then dies when he gives his homicidal son a hug for no reason. Did he just not realise how a trueborn son would threaten Ramsay? Did he think that Ramsay wouldn't murder him when he got the chance? Did he not think about it at all? Lame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

The fact that he got killed didn't surprise me (why should anyone care about him in that room?) but the fact that LF didn't have any real plan or strings to pull or control over anyone made me wonder why he was still in Winterfell at all. I found it a let down, sure, but more for the Stark kids, because it didn't feel like they genuinely outwitted LF, he just stopped effectively plotting and scheming and then died.

He was still the protector of the Vale until Robin is old enough. The lords of the Vale do not like him, but still it seems rather unrealistic that they would tolerante that murder without evidence. In that scene the Vale acted like a vassal of Winterfell rather than a equal indipendent ally. 

And also, it didn't fit with what we have been told about how the Starks rule justly. The Stark children make some claims, and there is no trial, but just a fast execution without proving any claim.  This is basically how it went:.

"I acuse you of crime a. Do you deny it?

"Yes. I do".

"We sentence you to death".

There was not much that Littlefinger could outmanouver. No one could. He was surprised by the accusations and couldn't defend himself since the execution was done without evidence.

47 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

 

I thought Roose Bolton's death was pretty dumb. He's spends the entire series as a calculating, careful schemer, then dies when he gives his homicidal son a hug for no reason. Did he just not realise how a trueborn son would threaten Ramsay? Did he think that Ramsay wouldn't murder him when he got the chance? Did he not think about it at all? Lame. 

I think he didn't thought that Ramsay would kill him infront of someone else. Therefore he didn't made that calculation. But I thought his death was fitting with his story. He dies when he thinks he is in the most safe position. A strong parallel as to when he killed Robb and Cat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, T and A said:

Now that we are just six episodes away from the end of the story, in this epic journey there were a lot of deaths in this show. Some of them were epic and pretty good executed, some were badly executed and some were just straight stupid. 

In my opinion the most stupid death scene goes to the death of Littlefinger. His death is not only anticlimatic, but the execution is done extremely bad. Bran and Sansa make some claims (all true) and he gets killed without evidence, infront of all the northern lords and infront of the Vale. He says that he denies the claims, but Arya cuts his throat anyway. Now this was, by any law, straightforward murder, infront off all. And no one bat an eye. 

What were your worst death in this series? Im a courious to know.

(This is a show only discussion. Please don't discuss the books here). 

Littlefinger's death for me, what with the lead-up, Arya behaving like a psycho by threatening to kill Sansa and take her face, etc. No evidence, nobody brought up the fact that Sansa lied under oath about Lysa's death (would have expected either Littlefinger or Bronze Yohn), and I think Sansa should have done the deed herself. She passes the sentence, she should swing the sword, so to speak. And all the evidence is from a CCTV on wheels.

Edited by Angel Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T and A said:

He was still the protector of the Vale until Robin is old enough. The lords of the Vale do not like him, but still it seems rather unrealistic that they would tolerante that murder without evidence. In that scene the Vale acted like a vassal of Winterfell rather than a equal indipendent ally. 

The show runners made the LotV vassals of Winterfell by their presence in the great hall when Jon Snow is acclaimed as Kingindanorf… Somehow we're supposed to believe that makes Jon their King as well… :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the series progressed, so the number of idiotic deaths became higher. Littlefinger takes the cake, no doubt in that. Doran Martell and Roose Bolton are close seconds. And of course, we have to mention Blackfish. That one was... I can't even...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Risto said:

As the series progressed, so the number of idiotic deaths became higher. Littlefinger takes the cake, no doubt in that. Doran Martell and Roose Bolton are close seconds. And of course, we have to mention Blackfish. That one was... I can't even...

Yeah, them too. I liked Blackfish, wonder what would have happened if he left with Brienne and Podrick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Yeah, them too. I liked Blackfish, wonder what would have happened if he left with Brienne and Podrick. 

The worst part was that in the matter of minutes, he established himself as a true badass. And then he died off screen. I mean, that was stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Risto said:

The worst part was that in the matter of minutes, he established himself as a true badass. And then he died off screen. I mean, that was stupid. 

Blackfish died off-screen. Yes. But in the show he is not an important character. He was shown in two or three episodes in season 3, and then never again, until season 6.Thus killing him off-screen didn't felt that bad for me. 

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many to list to be honest.

But Jon Snow, Ned Stark, Robb Stark, LF and Roose Bolton are probably my top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

The show runners made the LotV vassals of Winterfell by their presence in the great hall when Jon Snow is acclaimed as Kingindanorf… Somehow we're supposed to believe that makes Jon their King as well… :rolleyes:

Well, it makes it easier for Jon to unite the seven...no six kingdoms :D. I never quite understood the existence of the Vale anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mystical said:

Too many to list to be honest.

But Jon Snow, Ned Stark, Robb Stark, LF and Roose Bolton are probably my top 5.

Ned Stark and Robb Stark???? What the actual fuck? Ned Starks death scene is one of the best scenes in TV history. Robb Starks death scene is THE best death scene in all of TV history.

Those two scenes made GoT what it is today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, T and A said:

Ned Stark and Robb Stark???? What the actual fuck? Ned Starks death scene is one of the best scenes in TV history. Robb Starks death scene is THE best death scene in all of TV history.

Those two scenes made GoT what it is today...

You said stupid death. You didn't define what stupid. Quite a few characters people have mentioned died simply because they were stupid (like LF).

Jon's death was stupid because it was utterly and completely pointless. Other than getting him out of the Night's Watch it achieved nothing. And he didn't have to die for it considering the only character to whom Jon's desertion even occurred was freaking Ramsey.

Ned and Robb I listed because they were both morons, aka STUPID. What's that got to do with iconic scenes?

LF has been a brain dead moron since S4 to the point where the few schemes he had only worked because other characters were even dumber than him or smarter than him via luck.

Roose Bolton, same thing. Anyone with a healthy amount of smarts (which Roose had some of) would know it's only a matter of time until your complete psycho of a son attempts to off you.

Edited by Mystical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mystical said:

You said stupid death. You didn't define what stupid. Quite a few characters people have mentioned died simply because they were stupid (like LF).

Gee, this is a SHOW ONLY thread. Ned and Robb' death are key scenes in the books, and were extremely well done on TV.

If these deaths are stupid then the whole story is stupid…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mystical said:

You said stupid death. You didn't define what stupid. Quite a few characters people have mentioned died simply because they were stupid (like LF).

Jon's death was stupid because it was utterly and completely pointless. Other than getting him out of the Night's Watch it achieved nothing. And he didn't have to die for it considering the only character to whom Jon's desertion even occurred was freaking Ramsey.

Ned and Robb I listed because they were both morons, aka STUPID. What's that got to do with iconic scenes?

LF has been a brain dead moron since S4 to the point where the few schemes he had only worked because other characters were dumber than him or smarter than him.

Roose Bolton, same thing. Anyone with a healthy amount of smarts (which Roose had some of) would know it's only a matter of time until your complete psycho of a son attempts to off you.

I apologize. You are right, I didn't specify the question enough, although I tried to in the beginning of my text. With "stupid" I meant that it was poorly written, or poorly executed. Ned's death for example was perfectly executed because it was built up the whole season, without making it obvious, so the viewer was shocked when it happend, yet it was brilliantly directed and written and in the hindsight it seems natural regarding Neds decisions. Same example for Robb's death. It also introduced the idea that no one in this show is safe, not even the main characters, and that actions have consequences. Something up until then, completely new for television. Nowadays many shows copy that. But back then, it was very original.

An example of (in my opinion) stupid death was Littlefinger: no built up, illogical decisions by the characters just to kill him. 

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Tyrion choked Shae to death I kept wondering why she didn't fight back, she's twice his size and it's not like he snuck up behind her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bradam said:

When Tyrion choked Shae to death I kept wondering why she didn't fight back, she's twice his size and it's not like he snuck up behind her.

She never expected that he would harm her, since he deeply loved her. He surprised her by jumping on her. He choked her to death with the necklace she wore. If you can't breathe, you panic and you have no strength to push a person away. Also, Tyrion is not that weak. He is smaller than a "regular" human, but he is not as weak as child. So, I think, that Tyrion choking Shae to death is not that unbelievable.

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Gee, this is a SHOW ONLY thread. Ned and Robb' death are key scenes in the books, and were extremely well done on TV.

If these deaths are stupid then the whole story is stupid…

Gee, there are different kinds of stupid. Stupid can mean 'from a story perspective', 'from a character perspective', 'from a writing perspective' or even 'from an audience perspective'. So the opinion on 'stupid' varies. Gee, you'd think you'd know something so simple. That a word can have different meanings depending on where and how it's used...

24 minutes ago, T and A said:

Ned's death for example was perfectly executed because it was built up the whole season, without making it obvious, so the viewer was shocked when it happend, yet it was brilliantly directed and written and in the hindsight it seems natural regarding Neds decisions.

I didn't need hindsight for that, and I was Unsullied then. Ned was an idiot from the moment he set food in King's Landing when he thought he should insult all the people in charge on his first day.

24 minutes ago, T and A said:

It also introduced the idea that no one in this show is safe, not even the main characters, and that actions have consequences. Something up until then, completely new for television. Nowadays many shows copy that. But back then, it was very original.

No it wasn't original. Shows have been doing that for forever, especially in the sci-fi, fantasy or supernatural genre. And now all the main characters have nuclear-resistant plot armor to the point that it makes everything hilariously bad. From Jon in Bastard Battle or Wight Stupidity to Jamie after Field of Fire and plenty more. It's true, in earlier Seasons Jon alone would have been perma dead 20 times over. Those days are long gone though.

Edited by Mystical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I didn't need hindsight for that, and I was Unsullied then. Ned was an idiot from the moment he set food in King's Landing when he thought he should insult all the people in charge on his first day.

Who gives a shit what you were? Do you have anything to add, why the script, the directing, the acting was bad? If not, feel free to not coment. At first I thought I just didn't make my question clear enough. And I explained what I meant. Now I realise, you still don't get what a television critic is. If you think Ned Starks death was done poorly, you have no idea about this medium. And also you should'nt watch GoT, since clearly this is not your show. 

 

12 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Gee, there are different kinds of stupid. Stupid can mean 'from a story perspective', 'from a character perspective', 'from a writing perspective' or even 'from an audience perspective'. So the opinion on 'stupid' varies. Gee, you'd think you'd know something so simple. That a word can have different meanings depending on where and how it's used...

Everyone got it, what was meant, except of you it seems. I guess you just want to rant. 

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×