Jump to content
T and A

Most stupid death (Show only)

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Risto said:

Alexander Siddig, one of the great actors of TV, could have nailed Doran had he been given anything to work with. I love Doran as a book character, was over the moon when I heard Siddig (my favorite TV doctor) would play him and to see Dorne subplot being ended like that. It was rather awful.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dorne in the books. And I thought Alexander did a good job with what he had. But it seemed pretty obvious that D&D just didn't know what to do with Dorne or the sand snakes or ... anything really besides oberyn. So after the handling of the sand snakes, I was ready for it to be over on the show....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's also Stannis and Shireen, the latter of which was heartbreaking on Shireen's end and stupid on Stannis' part; he's fighting this war because of a succession crisis where the King died without proper heirs. Then he burned his only child, his heir. And it all wound up being for nothing because half his forces deserted and the rest were slaughtered to a man. Plus, D.B. Weiss is on record for saying he doesn't like Stannis, so they made him as hatable as possible on purpose.

Edited by Angel Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blackfish’s death was the only one that bothered me. I didn’t necessarily have to see him die, but him running at a group of Lannister soldiers before cutting away would have been a lot better than what we got. However, I disagree with the other deaths mentioned in this thread.

I never saw Littlefinger as a genius. He was the type of “schemer” that threw a wrench into the works, step back, and see what happens. He did it with poisoning Jon Arryn, poisoning Joffrey, marrying Sansa to Ramsay, and pitting Arya and Sansa against each other. It was only a matter of time before one of his plans blew up in his face, and I found the trial to be epic. My on complaint was that Arya and Sansa’s reconciliation happened off screen.

Barristan died fighting about a dozen fighters single handily. I thought he went out like a badass.

Stannis’s death was a natural end to his arc. He was the false messiah, after all, and was doomed to fail.

Doran was a minor character as opposed to the books, and his death was a result of D&D axing the Dornish storyline. I can see why others were disappointed, but it didn’t bother me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Risto said:

Alexander Siddig, one of the great actors of TV, could have nailed Doran had he been given anything to work with. I love Doran as a book character, was over the moon when I heard Siddig (my favorite TV doctor) would play him and to see Dorne subplot being ended like that. It was rather awful.

Yes, Alexander Siddig was definitely wasted. I never cared for Doran in the books, but I thought the show version had potential. We finally had a leader who tried to put the needs of his people first before his desire for revenge. He was different than all the other lords we’ve seen, and Siddig was doing really well with what he’s been given. Sadly, they cut his time on the show short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

There's also Stannis and Shireen, the latter of which was heartbreaking on Shireen's end and stupid on Stannis' part; he's fighting this war because of a succession crisis where the King died without proper heirs. Then he burned his only child, his heir. And it all wound up being for nothing because half his forces deserted and the rest were slaughtered to a man. Plus, D.B. Weiss is on record for saying he doesn't like Stannis, so they made him as hatable as possible on purpose.

At that point, Stannis’s war against the White Walkers trumped his war for the Iron Throne. Once he made it North, the most important reason Stannis was after the throne was so he could lead the country against the dead. The question of his successor would have to wait until the White Walkers were defeated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are a lot of names already out there to agree with.  One that may have pissed me off the most was Areo Hotah.  For the lack of justice they did his character I would have rather they left him off the show entirely.   Trystane as well... Dorne will be awesome in the books. Might be the furthest from the show because of being added late and then wiped out completely before the last season.  Will Dorne even come back into the fold at all season 8?

Edited by Staenerys Stargaryen
Add trystane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

There are a lot of names already out there to agree with.  One that may have pissed me off the most was Areo Hotah.  For the lack of justice they did his character I would have rather they left him off the show entirely.   Trystane as well... Dorne will be awesome in the books. Might be the furthest from the show because of being added late and then wiped out completely before the last season.  Will Dorne even come back into the fold at all season 8?

Areo Hotah was only a bodyguard of Doran, only apearing in like two episodes, with nearly zero dialog. He was an extra. Therefore his death was ok, since you don't need to fleshout him or come up with a cool way of dying. And please keep in mind that this is a Show only discussion. The books don't matter here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, T and A said:

Areo Hotah was only a bodyguard of Doran, only apearing in like two episodes, with nearly zero dialog. He was an extra. Therefore his death was ok, since you don't need to fleshout him or come up with a cool way of dying. And please keep in mind that this is a Show only discussion. The books don't matter here.

I apologize for getting to far into the books but I feel like you made my point here. The show is some sort of loose representation of the books? He could have been a cooler extra. Maybe instead of using two sand snakes against Trystane. Let Hotah go down swinging and chop a sand snake up with the awesome weapon they gave him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

I apologize for getting to far into the books but I feel like you made my point here. The show is some sort of loose representation of the books? He could have been a cooler extra. Maybe instead of using two sand snakes against Trystane. Let Hotah go down swinging and chop a sand snake up with the awesome weapon they gave him.  

This is not a thread of how the Show could be a better adaption of the books. We only analyse what is existent in the show and if in this universe the deaths are poorly executed or not. The books do not matter. Areo Hotah here, is the Areo Hotah of the show. As for the show, he is a bodyguard. Please stay on topic. 

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, T and A said:

This is not a thread of how the Show could be a better adaption of the books. We only analyse what is existent in the show and if in this universe the deaths are poorly executed or not. The books do not matter. Areo Hotah here, is the Areo Hotah of the show. As for the show, he is a bodyguard. Please stay on topic. 

There is no show without the books so they kinda matter to me.  I understand this is not the place to discuss the books.

I'm not trying to use anything from the books to say that the prince of Dorne's body guard should not have gone down without any resistance. Obviously they were deceived and so it is what it is.   

I thought this thread was about show deaths that bothered you. I think it's okay that it bothered me and didn't bother you. I'm not really looking to convince you it wasn't well done. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

There is no show without the books so they kinda matter to me.  I understand this is not the place to discuss the books.

I'm not trying to use anything from the books to say that the prince of Dorne's body guard should not have gone down without any resistance. Obviously they were deceived and so it is what it is.   

I thought this thread was about show deaths that bothered you. I think it's okay that it bothered me and didn't bother you. I'm not really looking to convince you it wasn't well done. We can agree to disagree on this one.

And I understand you fully and I apologize for the interreuption. But we should keep the discussion about the show ONLY. If his death was done poorly on the show, based on the character on the show, then of course you can discuss it. But imo his death was plain and simple, because he was an extra on the show. A lot of people have problems to distinguish books and show, but here it is crucial. If you want to discuss in this topic, you must acknowledge that we solely discuss the show characters. The books are not existent here. 

(Yes, the Dorne Plot is a complete mess. And you don't even need the books to analyse that. I hate the Dorne plot too, just as nearly every show watcher.)

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which other named characters would you consider to be extras? Gendry pops in and out a good bit is he an extra too?  The sand snakes decide to drop their weapons instead of try Hotah when confronted trying to steal baby lion. Then he all but chops off the kingslayers head... He takes down bronn with a swift elbow at another point I seem to recall. Starting to like this character seems like a tough loyal dude. Then he drops his guard to the same people I just spoke about him intimidating out of their weapons to be stabbed in the back.  He said he remembered how to use his axe but was only bluffing I suppose... Smh. You call it plain and simple and i call it disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still remeber how to use that old friend? 

Of course.  **grins**

**gets stabbed in the back and instantly dies**

=(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My choice is Doran Martell. I liked the character and the family so much. I was very interested to see his grand plan unfold and how House Martell would effect the war. Then he was ubruptly killed with every member of his House in the first episode of season 6. What a waste. So meaningless. So stupid. He is a major player in the books. Yet the show makes him and his family a minor footnote. The Martells!! The only house never to be defeated by the Targarians!! Wiped out by their own bastards in defense of a man who agreed to a battle to the death and lost. Just thinking about it still makes me angry. The injustice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to make this clear again, because obviously not everyone got it, even if it is in the title of this thread: We do not discuss the books here, nor the derivations from the books, nor anything else but the show. 

This means the following: 

- You analyse the material within the show.

- Only what is shown in the show is relevant. There is nothing else outside relevant (no addition information from the books, not even notes by the writers of the show). Only what is aired on the episodes. If you find loopholes because informations are missed in the show regarding a character, or because the character suddenly behaves different that what was shown before, you are welcomed to discuss it here. 

- You are welcomed to discuss decisions that the writers made regarding certain characters. You are welcomed to point out contradictions. You are welcomed to point out mistakes in pacing, and character developement of the scripts. 

- You can point out bad acting of several actors (but not because you think that the actor did not act like in the books, but because he did an awfull job to portray the character he is suposed to portray regarding bis script).

- The characters of the show, are the characters you discuss. The story of those characters is the story that was told on television. It does not matter if in the books their story is different. That story is non existent on the television version. 

- This thread is a television critic not a book critic. If you don't know the difference, please do not participate in this discussion thread. 

- Please be respectful. 

Thank you!

 

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ser Baristan is an obvious contender. The greatest knight in Westeros dying in an alley due to some thugs with knives. 

But I'd like to nominate Olenna Tyrel. Its a weird case because the manner of her death was quite excellent. The problem lies more in the situation that caused Olenna to meet her excellent end as it needed to retcon everyone involved to make it happen. The Tyrels are arguably among the strongest houses in Westeros. They can gather the largest army, give Robert his single defeat and turn the tide of war in the favor of the Lanisters. They also supply Kings Landing with food so the city would starve if they wished for it. Opposing them is Cersei who is competent in gaining power but inept at actually using it. And yet the incompetent queen easily conquers the Reach in a single episode. You could argue Cersei's abilities just grew but even then she shouldn't logically defeat two great houses in two episodes when her more competent father needed two seasons to defeat two great houses.

There's also Roose Bolton. Ramsey was always going to kill him, probably in the books as well but it being as easy as to just go up to daddy and stab him was a little silly. Roose even accepting the death hug to begin with doesn't seem in character.

Edited by Daemon of the Blacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, T and A said:

This is not a thread of how the Show could be a better adaption of the books. We only analyse what is existent in the show and if in this universe the deaths are poorly executed or not. The books do not matter. Areo Hotah here, is the Areo Hotah of the show. As for the show, he is a bodyguard. Please stay on topic. 

A bodyguard who happens to be 6'6", built like a brick sh-t house, and has a badass axe that the prop department spent a significant amount of time making.  Yeah it was dumb to just have a teenager stab him in the back and not give him anything more substantial.  If he's going to die that's a dumb and disappointing way to do it.  Leaving the book version completely out of it his death in the TV show was dumb in its own right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×