UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

It sounds like this is May's last play.  She said a few times during PMQs that she thought Britain participating in the EU elections was a bad idea.  30th June might be her own deadline - if she can't get Brexit sorted by then she might step down.  But she's swerved before ... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mosi Mynn said:

It sounds like this is May's last play.  She said a few times during PMQs that she thought Britain participating in the EU elections was a bad idea.  30th June might be her own deadline - if she can't get Brexit sorted by then she might step down.  But she's swerved before ... :rolleyes:

Nonsense. It's game over way earlier. Maybe it already is.

Ian Dunt's analysis, and he is right on the money again imo. This time it's not fun to read, it's just a sober analysis. Warning, not pleasent to read.

I’m going for “deliver the will of the people”, “my deal is the best that could be negotiated” and a promise of cross party talks that will never happen on my May’s address to the nation Bingo card tonight.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nonsense. It's game over way earlier. Maybe it already is.

Ian Dunt's analysis, and he is right on the money again imo. This time it's not fun to read, it's just a sober analysis. Warning, not pleasent to read.

Yeah, 30 June is being very generous.

That Dunt piece is damning.  I don't understand why she is capitulating to the ERG.  She is not going to be Prime Minister after all this (probably not by Christmas) - why worry about what they think?  I do understand the POV  of not participating in the European elections - even though being an active part of the EU for the next 20 months might reap benefits.

I agree with most of the Dunt analysis, but I am not sure that she is consciously buckling to the ERG today (despite how much she has genuflected in their direction in the past)

I think she is still pursuing her strategy; take things right to the wire and then force parliament to make a last minute choice between her deal and crashing out with no deal. She thinks that, staring down the barrel of a gun, a majority will go for her deal.

Personally I am far from convinced of that though. If I was an MP, I would be seriously tempted to vote against her just to spite her.

ETA: I have met Caroline Lucas (the Green), and I would include her in the adults also.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Nope, none there either 

Funny how the SNP get passed off as adults when they're also keen on trying to tear up political and economic unions based on lies and fantasies. 

edit: Ken Clarke I agree with, Dominic Grieve, Cooper, Benn, etc. 

5 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I agree with most of the Dunt analysis, but I am not sure that she is consciously buckling to the ERG today (despite how much she has genuflected in their direction in the past)

I think she is still pursuing her strategy; take things right to the wire and then force parliament to make a last minute choice between her deal and crashing out with no deal. She thinks that, staring down the barrel of a gun, a majority will go for her deal.

That is her strategy to deal with remainers, but her strategy to deal with the no-dealers has always been the opposite - take it to the last second and make them think it is her deal or no Brexit. That has been thrown out the window now, they have no need to vote for her deal as they will get what they want if they don’t.

Anyway, whatever we may think about the adulthood of various individual mps, collectively the House of Commons has failed. Brexit is next Friday and although there is a majority opposed to no deal they have proved pathetically inept at ruling this out. If they do choose to reject the deal again, assuming it even gets put to the vote given the Bercow ban (not a sure thing really) we will be utterly dependent on a last minute decision by the EU27 to grant a long extension in order to avoid no deal.

And even then, how do we know May will ask for one and will there be time to force her to do so. Her refusal now to request a long extension shows the utter shameful folly of Parliament not taking control when they had the opportunity.

There is a good chance we are well and truly fucked.

I am going to do bit of stockpiling this weekend. 

Apples, bit of lettuce/tomatoes, Lloyd Grossman, a few steaks and some Belgian chocolates. I am thinking if worst comes to worst I have a lot of coco pops. 

I will go to different supermarkets though, as I don't want people to think I'm stockpiling. 

edit: also, Monstermunch

I am not sure whether I shall dare to ask, but:

The Bercow ruling, doesn't it also rule out the Cooper amendment stuff - with parliament taking control - coming back to vote before summer?

So I really fail to see a way out of this mess.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not sure whether I shall dare to ask, but:

The Bercow ruling, doesn't it also rule out the Cooper amendment stuff - with parliament taking control - coming back to vote before summer?

So I really fail to see a way out of this mess.

In theory, no, as it was an amendment rather than a motion. But ultimately, nobody knows.

Archived