UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

Ah ok, so there's still a slim chance that Parliament can take over.

But there really are very few actors in Westminster who will come out of this mess with at least some shreds of integrity left.

The TIGers for most part. Although one can argue they should have acted sooner.

Cooper, Grieve, Bercow were probably putting in the best performances.

The LibDems, SNP and Caroline Lucas were also acting decently, but they lacked the size/power to effectively put a stop to it.

12 minutes ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

I am going to do bit of stockpiling this weekend. 

Apples, bit of lettuce/tomatoes, Lloyd Grossman, a few steaks and some Belgian chocolates. I am thinking if worst comes to worst I have a lot of coco pops. 

I will go to different supermarkets though, as I don't want people to think I'm stockpiling. 

edit: also, Monstermunch

I hope you have started well before now.  Oh I hear Fray Bentos pies are extremely popular with Breppers.  Not sure if they are edible if there is other food to eat, but they do last a long time.

End of Last week I was optimistically looking at my stash and thinking maybe I 'm not gonna need it afterall.  A delay is gonna mess up my planning as the stuff I was planning to eat the first couple of weeks will need consuming before the delay ends.  

Bog roll and Beans.

4 minutes ago, Pebble said:

I hope you have started well before now.  Oh I hear Fray Bentos pies are extremely popular with Breppers.  Not sure if they are edible if there is other food to eat, but they do last a long time.

End of Last week I was optimistically looking at my stash and thinking maybe I 'm not gonna need it afterall.  A delay is gonna mess up my planning as the stuff I was planning to eat the first couple of weeks will need consuming before the delay ends.  

Bog roll and Beans. 

Did a bit, aye, but then some of it got eaten at a party … Not a pie person though, more pasta. 

Every single person for the last 2.5 years who's said, "We're leaving on 29 March 2019, get over it," just got egged in the face. Spectacularly satisfying.

Otherwise, as short-sighted, mule-headed and ignorant as expected. Her just walking off at the end was pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Every single person for the last 2.5 years who's said, "We're leaving on 29 March 2019, get over it," just got egged in the face. Spectacularly satisfying.

Otherwise, as short-sighted, mule-headed and ignorant as expected. Her just walking off at the end was pathetic.

Would have better if she'd at least whistled to herself

1 minute ago, Philokles said:

“It’s not my fault, it’s someone else’s” basically

No rhetoric more vomit inducing than that “You believe this...” device.

Whilst refusing to ask, and when people tell her anyway, refusing to listen.

I have no words for how insane this has all become.  I have no idea how this will end up but it's not looking good from anyone's point of view (except maybe Putin's!).

Impressive watching the 'revoke article 50' petition rack up signatures today...

Revoke article 50

P.S. I'll be on the march in London on Saturday, though maybe I don't count as I'm a polite middle class person.  (Though I'm quite emotional about all this)

1 minute ago, Sophelia said:

I have no words for how insane this has all become.  I have no idea how this will end up but it's not looking good from anyone's point of view (except maybe Putin's!).

Impressive watching the 'revoke article 50' petition rack up signatures today...

Revoke article 50

wow,  that was on 30k at 1:30.   I think its one of the fastest rising petitions I've seen.

If you click on the map on the petition, us Liberal Metropolitan Elites™ sure are spread out across the country

I'm in one of the lightest Yellow areas.  and my MP is part of the ERG  I have several choice letters from him dismissing my concerns.

If you click on the map on the petition, us Liberal Metropolitan Elites™ sure are spread out across the country

It's interesting that there are fewer signatures from Northern Ireland at the moment

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not sure whether I shall dare to ask, but:

The Bercow ruling, doesn't it also rule out the Cooper amendment stuff - with parliament taking control - coming back to vote before summer?

So I really fail to see a way out of this mess.

I've heard that it's basically up to Bercow to interpret the rules about what is blocked, so it's difficult to know what would be ruled out.

I also wonder whether changing the date on which we would leave under May's deal to the 23rd of May would count as a substantial difference compared to the original vote?

16 minutes ago, Pebble said:

I'm in one of the lightest Yellow areas.  and my MP is part of the ERG  I have several choice letters from him dismissing my concerns.

My MP was a remainer in one of the more pro EU parts of Kent. Now she just follows the party line, hoping to get a ministerial post back after she was sacked from Sport for getting 0/10 in a quiz with local news.

20 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

It's interesting that there are fewer signatures from Northern Ireland at the moment

Irish Republicans who want nothing to do with parliamentary UK politics, maybe?

Archived