UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

30 minutes ago, Pebble said:

I'm in one of the lightest Yellow areas.  and my MP is part of the ERG  I have several choice letters from him dismissing my concerns.

I've had a few of those from my ERG MP, never read so many lies in my life.

Actually, I say "a few", I have 8 identical relies.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So what does "parliament considers all petitions" that get over 100K signatures?

"We consider this petition to be a waste of time and will ignore it." Is that consideration?

On some previous petitions yes. But the size of the signatures will be important. If if got, say a million or two million, that would be seen as more significant than say half a million.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So what does "parliament considers all petitions" that get over 100K signatures?

"We consider this petition to be a waste of time and will ignore it." Is that consideration?

According to their website:

Petitions which reach 100,000 signatures are almost always debated. But we may decide not to put a petition forward for debate if the issue has already been debated recently or there’s a debate scheduled for the near future. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you how you can find out more about parliamentary debates on the issue raised by your petition.

I don't think Parliament has specifically debated revoking Article 50, so it seems like a valid subject for a debate.

It doesn't seem to specify a timeframe, so I guess it's possible it would be a while until it was debated and even when it is, it is telling Parliament to debate the topic, not to have a vote on it.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

On some previous petitions yes. But the size of the signatures will be important. If if got, say a million or two million, that would be seen as more significant than say half a million.

Only 1 has ever reached half a million, but this will be in the top 10 pretty soon

Is there a May deal Brexit petition? I feel like there should be one, because in the absence of an actual referendum putting all 3 options up on the petition site will give give everyone a half decent picture of what the country probably wants.

I think it's very important that the revoke petition beats the no-deal petition, so while it would be manipulative it would be good for a May deal petition to go up after the evoke petition crosses the 400K mark.

I timed the petition. Almost 1400 per minute at the moment. And, what, it's 11PM / 12AM over your way right now?

10pm here

I've not seen a petition for May's deal, but No Deal scored 369,234 (and counting)

Revoke IF leave broke the law (which they did) scored 203,230 (closed in January)

Give us a referendum on the final deal (before there was one) scored 145,116 closing a year ago.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there a May deal Brexit petition? I feel like there should be one, because in the absence of an actual referendum putting all 3 options up on the petition site will give give everyone a half decent picture of what the country probably wants.

I think since May's deal has been debated (endlessly) in Parliament already, it isn't a valid subject for a petition - the idea of them is to encourage debate on things Parliament hasn't already covered.

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

I'm in one of the lightest Yellow areas.  and my MP is part of the ERG  I have several choice letters from him dismissing my concerns.

I'm not particularly surprised that Cambridge is currently winning the race for most signatures, although Brighton Pavilion is putting up a brave fight in second.

It's officially past the last revoke petition.

Since the last revoke petition crossed 100K does that mean it was debated? Or has the condition "If leave broke the law" not been met yet? I thought the court ruling pretty much said it did break the law, therefore that petition should be / have been debated. If so can parliament decline to debate this one since the topic was already debated?

Archived