UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

Just now, mormont said:

May is now saying she 'hopes' we will leave with a deal.

I think we can all translate that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47648565

We are approaching the point at which we can talk about Scotch for food and discuss the exchange rates? 

:leaving:

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

May is now saying she 'hopes' we will leave with a deal.

I think we can all translate that.

The Guardian was quoting the following tweet from Sky journalist Beth Rigby:

Cabinet source today tells me they now sceptical deal pass (narrow pathway closed). So May’s choice at the end of next week could be No Deal or long extension (watch for Cooper/Boles/Benn #3 - which will pass this time). Source thinks she will bend to her party & go for No Deal

There was also this interesting answer to a reader who was asking whether there was any way the HoC could take Brexit control away from Government:

Not easily. The Commons can vote for motions but a) the government has a large degree of control over what is debated (but not total control) and b) general motions passed by MPs are not binding.

Votes on legislation are, of course, binding, because they decide what’s law, and at some point the government will have to pass an EU withdrawal agreement bill (assuming the deal is passed). But most of the recent high-profile votes in the Commons have not been on statute.

The only failsafe mechanism available to parliament, if it wants to stop the PM doing something, is to remove her with a vote a confidence. But even then she would remain PM until either someone else came forward able to command a majority in the Commons (and it is not easy to see who that might be), or until after a general election, which would take several weeks.

1 minute ago, Mentat said:

The only failsafe mechanism available to parliament, if it wants to stop the PM doing something, is to remove her with a vote a confidence. 

Didn't they try that already, and effectively protected her from any further such action when they failed?

I would genuinely not put it past Theresa May to take us out without a deal and resign as PM in the same breath. 

2 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Didn't they try that already, and effectively protected her from any further such action when they failed?

No, her party tried to remove her as leader, and now can't try that again for a year - but that's an internal Tory party thing. She can still face a vote of no-confidence in the House, which would oblige her to resign as PM, but the question would then be, would the EU grant an extension for a General Election to take place - and if one did, would it put into power a government capable of commanding a majority and taking action?

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

That was the Tory party Leadership challenge, she is safe there for the rest of the year. THere's nothing to stop parliament from having another go with a vote of no confidence.

Just now, Mentat said:

The only failsafe mechanism available to parliament, if it wants to stop the PM doing something, is to remove her with a vote a confidence. But even then she would remain PM until either someone else came forward able to command a majority in the Commons (and it is not easy to see who that might be), or until after a general election, which would take several weeks. 

It would be amusing if Allen or Chuka emerged as PMs. Chuka would have the additional value of royally pissing off Corbyn.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That was the Tory party Leadership challenge, she is safe there for the rest of the year. THere's nothing to stop parliament from having another go with a vote of no confidence.

Ah - thanks.  I thought Corbyn had done something - but that would mean he actually did something ...

Edit: I do him a disservice: he did table a no-confidence motion but it got defeated https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46899466  But he can table another one if he wants to!

Define 'a plan'. There's a plan, of sorts - a withdrawal agreement with the EU to govern the transition period. The problem is, Parliament have voted it down, twice, by record margins, and the government does not appear to have a plan B to cope with this eventuality, other than to mindlessly push the same plan. In fact, by delaying the first vote on the plan, their entire strategy appears to have been to deliberately choose to have no plan B, in an attempt to force Parliament to agree. This plan failed miserably. And now we are all screwed. 

If all the PM has is "hope" there will be a deal it doesn't seem unreasonable to say her plan is now No Deal. Conservative leaders across the anglosphere think the only people they need to fear is their far right base and that's who they cave to.

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

Define 'a plan'. There's a plan, of sorts - a withdrawal agreement with the EU to govern the transition period. The problem is, Parliament have voted it down, twice, by record margins, and the government does not appear to have a plan B to cope with this eventuality, other than to mindlessly push the same plan. In fact, by delaying the first vote on the plan, their entire strategy appears to have been to deliberately choose to have no plan B, in an attempt to force Parliament to agree. This plan failed miserably. And now we are all screwed. 

The way it’s being reported on NPR is that there is no passable plan and that only a short term extension is on the table, one which will likely not change anything nor leave enough time in the rare chance a solution is found.

Sounds like hard Brexit it is unless May does the right thing and just not execute Article 50.

15 minutes ago, karaddin said:

If all the PM has is "hope" there will be a deal it doesn't seem unreasonable to say her plan is now No Deal. 

I don't think I'd go as far as to say it was now her plan, but it's a clear indication that she prefers No Deal to either revoking or a long extension (or indeed an alternative deal).

There's some degree of posturing in that, towards the EU and her own MPs, but if push comes to shove, that's where she'll probably go.

Meanwhile, cats and dogs are living together:

https://twitter.com/FrancesOGrady/status/1108726253849378816

If, as some reports are now saying, May will favour No Deal over the long extension option, I can't see how the hell that would even remotely fly in the face of overwhelming Parliamentary opposition. A large chunk of her own party would have no choice but to support a no-confidence motion to bring down the government, surely?

This situation is utterly ridiculous.

For many months, I was giving May the benefit of the doubt about Brexit negotiations.  She was handed a virtually impossible task, and surprising nobody, she's failing at it.  But these past few weeks have really demonstrated how comically overmatched she is to the situation.  Good luck everybody, we're going to need it. 

Archived