UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47678275

The woman who started the record-breaking anti-Brexit petition says she is "shaking like a leaf" after receiving three death threats by phone.

Margaret Georgiadou, 77, began the Revoke Article 50 petition, which had topped four million signatures by Saturday morning.

She said she was "totally amazed" it had become the most popular petition submitted to the Parliament website.

But Mrs Georgiadou said the "horrible" phone calls left her scared and angry.

The retired lecturer says she has also received abuse via her Facebook account.

She said: "I feel terrible, I feel angry with myself because I thought I was tougher than that. But I was scared."

https://mobile.twitter.com/madgie1941/status/1109344811155419136

2 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Yup.

Not helped by our PM pouring oil on the flames, and then press branding people as traitors for doing their best to uphold our democracy

Well, lets be honest the press has done a pretty bad job of not fanning the flames. I mean even Farage and Leadsom have gotten death threats. At some point all this is going to spill over. Whether Brexit does or doesn't happen, we have reason to be fearful.

34 minutes ago, Leap said:

Well, I am shattered. I got to Park Lane at about 12:00, and joined the march from there. I got to Westminster for bang on 17:00. 

Overall, it was really positive. Some great singing, chanting, tonnes of amazing signs, and so on. I hope it does turn out to have been a million people, it bloody well felt like it. Never thought I would see bunches of middle class mums chanting "bollocks to brexit", kids in tow. 

Only moment I was a bit concerned was at the big left turn (I think at the bottom of Park Lane?). Somehow at that point (around 3ish) I'd slipped to pretty much the last few hundred people in the March. For some reason there were lots of idiot youths stood around holding everyone up, and at one point it actually became a real press. One of the people stood on the wall mentioned that at this point, the main march had actually just left, so I hopped over the wall and caught up. Some people are completely unaware of how much they are being cunts. Hope nobody got hurt. 

I admire you hugely.  A wonderful effort.  I hope the politicians take some notice.

I joined from Trafalgar Square and I still never got close to the Westminster.  At 5pm I gave up I needed to sit somewhere.  It was tremendous fun and it felt like there was a lot more people there than last time.  It was really inspiring and fun.   also very noisy and tiring.  I felt really safe in the march, which considering what happened at Upminster station on the way says a lot at how friendly it was.

On the way, just outside Upminster station there was a mass of people with kids in sports kits and a whole throng of police in high vis.  Some very angry tall person saw me with my sign, shouted "traitorous bitch" and physically launched himself at me tried to take a swing at me.  I ducked.  he never got a chance to try again as the Throng of Police flattened him.   I want to make it clear he never made any contact with me and I'm fine.  was rather shaken up for a bit, and I did think about going straight home, I'm glad I didn't, I will not be silenced.  I'm very thankful for the police and their quick actions.

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

On the way, just outside Upminster station there was a mass of people with kids in sports kits and a whole throng of police in high vis.  Some very angry tall person saw me with my sign, shouted "traitorous bitch" and physically launched himself at me tried to take a swing at me.  I ducked.  he never got a chance to try again as the Throng of Police flattened him.   I want to make it clear he never made any contact with me and I'm fine.  was rather shaken up for a bit, and I did think about going straight home, I'm glad I didn't, I will not be silenced.  I'm very thankful for the police and their quick actions.

We're good for something. 

Thank you for posting your experiences today.

Huge human turn-out in material space is all politicians really pay attention to, one thinks (other than insults directed at them, and the response is "Censor!").

Looks like the Cabinet is trying to force May out. Not sure how they can do that as they held the only vote of no confidence allowed in a 12 month period back in December. Given her obstinance, I doubt she’ll go willingly.

If she does go, Gove and Lidington are being lined up to succeed her. Don’t know much about the latter, but Gove would be even worse than May. Hopefully it is Grayling - he will probably revoke Article 50 by accident.

13 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Looks like the Cabinet is trying to force May out. Not sure how they can do that as they held the only vote of no confidence allowed in a 12 month period back in December. Given her obstinance, I doubt she’ll go willingly.

If she does go, Gove and Lidington are being lined up to succeed her. Don’t know much about the latter, but Gove would be even worse than May. Hopefully it is Grayling - he will probably revoke Article 50 by accident.

That vote was for the Tory leadership. You get to be PM by commanding a majority in the House of Commons. If Cabinet tell her to go and/or mass resignations hard to see how she can carry on. 

Last days of Rome stuff for Theresa May. 

2 hours ago, Pebble said:

I joined from Trafalgar Square and I still never got close to the Westminster.  At 5pm I gave up I needed to sit somewhere.  It was tremendous fun and it felt like there was a lot more people there than last time.  It was really inspiring and fun.   also very noisy and tiring.  I felt really safe in the march, which considering what happened at Upminster station on the way says a lot at how friendly it was.

Glad you're OK. But it might have been better for the cause if you'd let him make contact. Imagine the headlines, and the public sympathy. 'Bovver Boy Bully Bashes Lady Brexit Protester'. And he'd be going to prison for assault.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Glad you're OK. But it might have been better for the cause if you'd let him make contact. Imagine the headlines, and the public sympathy. 'Bovver Boy Bully Bashes Lady Brexit Protester'. And he'd be going to prison for assault.

I'm going to go with, "fuck no."

We did the whole thing and got to Parliament Square a bit before 5pm.

My impressions: there were a lot more people there than in October. We could barely even get on the train into London at Reading, and the crush throughout the whole march was insane. Also while everyone was still very friendly, the mood seemed angrier than last time, there were more banners and they were more direct.

14 minutes ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

That vote was for the Tory leadership. You get to be PM by commanding a majority in the House of Commons. If Cabinet tell her to go and/or mass resignations hard to see how she can carry on. 

Last days of Rome stuff for Theresa May. 

You would’ve thought it would be hard to carry on pushing through your deal which was defeated by 230 and 149 votes, but here we are.

They surely wouldn’t risk a vote of no confidence in the government as a whole at this point, and May only needs to look across the aisle for precedent of a leader whose parliamentary party manifestly has no confidence in them still continuing.

25 minutes ago, Philokles said:

You would’ve thought it would be hard to carry on pushing through your deal which was defeated by 230 and 149 votes, but here we are.

They surely wouldn’t risk a vote of no confidence in the government as a whole at this point, and May only needs to look across the aisle for precedent of a leader whose parliamentary party manifestly has no confidence in them still continuing.

Mmh, but Corbyn isn't governing though is he. So don't think the analogy works.

The no confidence motions in the House are no confidence in the government, what we're talking about is the cabinet having no confidence in the PM. 

Anyway, who knows, we will see. 

Also, I am not very convinced this whole replace the PM and the deal passes thing is going to work. Every week the Tory party sees its hopes collapse, the latest wheez to  sneak the deal through falls flat on its face and they delude themselves about the EU, the DUP, whoever giving in.

Even if Gove is installed he still has the DUP and Baker's Brexiteers for Remain mob to get past. And Gove is likely even more keen on global Britain than May, who was more about immigration, so he's even less likely to go for the customs union route. But even if he does it will probably turn out that the customs union is Corbyn's cover for voting against the deal, not the real reason. 

Maybe Gove can be like Nixon, and go to China (i.e. Revoke).

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wow,  I am guessing you really don't understand our tabloids very well, and underestimate the gammon hate and rage.  Apart from being punched in the face by some guy 2 foot taller than me who has a few visible mussels and a beer belly, I really could do without all the rape and death threats.

Archived