Tywin Lannister is Edward Longshanks

I can't believe it took me so long to realize this, but I've been doing some research into Edward I's life and it's disturbing how much was apparently taken from his life to form Tywin Lannister.

Edward was the son and heir of a man known for being generous to a fault. During his father's reign, there were serious issues with the barons and vassals of his rule, even as Edward was at odds with his father's strategy of resolving conflicts. While Henry preferred to conciliate, Edward sided against certain barons and insisted they were wrong and needed to submit. Edward went eastwards on a Crusade against Ninepen- I mean, the Turks and came back when his father died. He was also married to a cousin that he adored who died young, much to his despair. Despite providing England with a very prosperous period, he is villainized for his cruelty towards his enemies, particularly the Welsh in the west (reynes of Castamere anyone?) and the Scots to the north (Red Wedding territory). Moreover, his children either died young or disappointed him, especially his heir, Edward II. 

Compelling points. But there's just as much of an argument that Tywin is Rodrigo Borgia. GRRM mixed elements from various people to create the characters of his books. No single figure is the sole inspiration.

On a side note, Patrick McGoohan would have been an amazing Tywin if he'd been alive and the appropriate age. 

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I can't believe it took me so long to realize this, but I've been doing some research into Edward I's life and it's disturbing how much was apparently taken from his life to form Tywin Lannister.

Edward was the son and heir of a man known for being generous to a fault. During his father's reign, there were serious issues with the barons and vassals of his rule, even as Edward was at odds with his father's strategy of resolving conflicts. While Henry preferred to conciliate, Edward sided against certain barons and insisted they were wrong and needed to submit. Edward went eastwards on a Crusade against Ninepen- I mean, the Turks and came back when his father died. He was also married to a cousin that he adored who died young, much to his despair. Despite providing England with a very prosperous period, he is villainized for his cruelty towards his enemies, particularly the Welsh in the west (reynes of Castamere anyone?) and the Scots to the north (Red Wedding territory). Moreover, his children either died young or disappointed him, especially his heir, Edward II. 

Good catch. The similarities are many.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Compelling points. But there's just as much of an argument that Tywin is Rodrigo Borgia. GRRM mixed elements from various people to create the characters of his books. No single figure is the sole inspiration.

On a side note, Patrick McGoohan would have been an amazing Tywin if he'd been alive and the appropriate age. 

I agree. Tywin is an amalgamation of historical characters.

Yes, McGoohan would have been amazing! RIP

Charles Dance did a damn fine job though, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

he is villainized for his cruelty towards his enemies, 

Spot on. The sack of Berwick, for instance.

From the Wikipedia entry:

Edward I was a tall man (6'2") for his era, hence the nickname "Longshanks". He was temperamental, and this, along with his height, made him an intimidating man, and he often instilled fear in his contemporaries. Nevertheless, he held the respect of his subjects for the way he embodied the medieval ideal of kingship, as a soldier, an administrator and a man of faith.

Clearly a big inspiration for Tywin, with the additional political manipulation and scheming thrown in as @Legitimate_Bastard points out.

Archived