Do you consider any of the characters killed off to be missed opportunities, or all well crafted storytelling decisions?

Mwm

• 4 weeks later...

I consider killing off Jon Snow as an act of great storytelling.  As long as he remains dead.  It is a very clean way to end the arc of somebody who has fulfilled their role, the unintentional destruction of the Night's Watch by somebody who has taken an oath to protect it.

Jon's dead?  Oh yeah.  That's what I used to think after reading the book.  Then I joined this cult up in here, where everybody convinced me Jon will live just because the internet is so often right.  So if you're still going by only the books, in which Jon is dead, my question is:

But what about Howland?   What he supposed to do if he can't shout nothin' proclamation-ish  'bout nobody no more at the close?  Man done been waiting his turn to rock the mic for a coon's age and spill his parentage secrets re: the Bass Turd J'Yawn Tsnoe.  And then Jon stays dead on him?  Totally undercuts Howland's howl.   Why it'd be downright pervish and insouciant, inciteful and querulous, ennervationalistic and in-...Sideous!    Yep, you'd be leaving our boy Howie in the lurch, stealing his moment in the sun.  And with his kid already weird and all, Howland needs this.  Think of Howland, man.   Meera should be able to think of her daddy and say, "well, he did float around on a pontoon boat castle for most of his days, which is good work if you can get it, but my god the murk and mosquitoes!   But then at the end he finally got a speaking role in the series, so at last I can be proud of my pops for sounding off about this and that and the succession.  Seeing that raised my self esteem, and you know what?  I don't wanna live in a swamp anymore!  Thanks dad, for giving me the courage to find a better life!"    So what I'm asking, really,  is that you think of the children.

Archived