Do you think Dunk and Egg like short stories would’ve worked for the rest of the history had Martin enough of time to write them?

Mwm

A cluster for the big events of Aegon the Conqueror, Maegor and the Dance. Why does everyone assume a series like ASOIAF would work for the rest. Everyone complains about Martin adding Povs to the already long books...focusing on the big characters would’ve got a historical narrative done rather cleanly.

Dunno but I must admit I have enjoyed the short stories very much, more than the recent pseudo - history books, although Dunk and Egg stories have their flaws (as if GRRM tried to put a lot of information into a form too small to accomodate it).

It depends. I don't think you can do the Dance as a D&E novella; it's far too epic and complex. 

Dunk works because he's the Forrest Gump of Westeros. He is always there for the big, spread out events of the early 3rd century: the death of Baelor Breakspear, the Second Blackfyre Rebellion... the Osgrey/Webber stuff is a nice snapshot and a setup for a disappearance of Rohanne story later on :P

The equivalent of this in an earlier time period would probably be novellas set from the coronation of Jaehaerys up to Viserys II's death. Maybe, oh, let's say The Tales of Septa Lyra. She could have a story set at Maidenpool when the women attacked Alysanne, one set at the time Ysabel spread the Doctrine of Exceptionalism, one in the aftermath of the Shivers, one set at the Great Council of 101 (we don't know if she lived that long, but she may have) and so forth.

Archived