A catch-all Elizabeath Bear thread.

polishgenius

One of my favourite current SFF authors and I feel she doesn't get chatted about anywhere near enough around here.

I just finished Ancestral Night, her 'big ideas space opera' that just came out. A word of warning, it's set in the same universe as her Jacob's Ladder trilogy, and while it barely needed to be and isn't a sequel at all, she did for some reason decide to explicitly spoil the ending of that series in this book. So although Ancestral Night is good- big, bold, fun with a chewy emotional center- I do recommend Jacob's Ladder first, especially since it's better (probably her best work I've read so far).

She writes such a brilliant variety of things though, she's almost gotta have something for everyone. There's the fantasy-quest-in-an-SF-setting of said Jacob's Ladder, featuring nanite angel knights and capricious godlike AIs. There's the post-apocalyptic Norse-cyberpunk noir of the Edda of burdens. There's the Mongolia-and-Tibet based epic fantasy feminist-in-all-the-best-ways Eternal Sky (I know she did a sequel to this, not got there yet). She also does steampunk, more straightforward cyberpunky stuff...

And she does it all with some wicked-beautiful prose and a great eye for character.

Anyone else a fan? What's your favourite Bear concoction?

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I didn’t start ancestral night yet.

It's so weird because it's like four lines of no relevance to the plot but those lines just tell you the end. Could just as easily have dropped the reference without explaining what happened, too, so doubly pointless.

I've heard bad and weird things about Companion to Wolves but hey, someone as prolific and wide-ranging as her is bound to hit some rough patches.

Archived