Video Games: Devils Die Twice

Red Tiger

On 5/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Sekiro update:

Hide contents

I took a little time off but went hard at it this weekend.

I finally beat Genichiro after many tries. He wasn’t too tough after you get his patterns down but the fight was just so lengthy. Although the first time I took both his lives and he turned into electric boy was disheartening. Thankfully that stage wasn’t very difficult.

I had a hell of a time with the second centipede giraffe(Gun Fort). The thing was absolutely killing me and I was getting furious. I realized you have to time block his last attack and jump his lunge after that to get his posture up(or down?). I guess I could’ve used firecrackers too but I would run out and panic at the end when trying that.

I’m fighting the Guardian Ape now. I got his patterns down and almost beat his headless 2nd form my last try. I will probably beat it today.

Game is really fun but the camera work annoys the shit out of me at times. I’m also finally starting to get comfortable with the parrying, blocking and everything. I unfortunately played AC: Odyssey for a few months right before this, and there is no blocking in that. My fight style in that didn’t translate well to Sekiro. I was fighting my natural instincts in the beginning so much.

Roughly how much longer is the game? Anyone know?

I can tell just by this post, you need to do more parrying.

Spoiler

Centipede is just block at its timing (you can even spam it) and jump kick his head during his perilous attack.  The only attack you do is the deathblow.

Genchiro, and other humanoid enemies, is attack until parried, then parry until they stop attacking, then attack until parry.

You're pretty close to the end if you choose the bad ending, if you choose one of the good ones you're a little over 1/2 way

28 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I can tell just by this post, you need to do more parrying.

Hide contents

Centipede is just block at its timing (you can even spam it) and jump kick his head during his perilous attack.  The only attack you do is the deathblow.

Genchiro, and other humanoid enemies, is attack until parried, then parry until they stop attacking, then attack until parry.

You're pretty close to the end if you choose the bad ending, if you choose one of the good ones you're a little over 1/2 way

You’re right. I think it’s finally starting to click... although it took long enough.

Anyone playing MK11? It is really not clicking for me. I haven't played an MK game since like... MK2. I am normally kind of a scrub at fighting games but I'm usually better than this.

Been playing Halo Wars after its recent re-release on PC. As a console focused RTS I wasn't expecting much, but this is surprisingly good. The story is engaging and the mechanics are quite decent. Even the so-called low-priority base-building is actually much better than most recent so-called "full" RTS games. The resourcing is also very enjoyable, very reminiscent of the Supply Pad mechanic from Command & Conquer Generals which was more logical than the tired old harvesting mechanic.

It's no StarCraftGround ControlHostile Waters or Company of Heroes, but it's a fun and breezy RTS game. Also fun to play it before the Master Chief Collection hits PC in a few months.

I've been playing Knights of Honor, a fun old game. Similar to Total War and Crusader Kings, but ultimately more simplistic than both. I've always enjoyed its art style, though, and it has a great soundtrack. Rumors sprang up about 2 years ago that a sequel may be in the works. There were a couple of screenshots released, but I haven't found anything more recent to determine if this is true or not. I hope it is. 

I've also been playing a bit of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and BattleTech. I'm really in the mood to play some good RTS or even turn-base. 

I've started to lean in favor of picking up Total War: Three Kingdoms when it's finally released. The more recent videos from both the devs and the youtubers with early access have shown that they really polished the game in the 2-month delay. I'm still not convinced about the battle AI, it's probably still shit, though the campaign AI may be good. Ultimately, I'll see what the early steam reviews say.

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

You’re right. I think it’s finally starting to click... although it took long enough.

Once it clicks the game becomes a ton of fun.  It's the only From game I never once raged at, despite it's difficulty and spending upwards of 4 hours on some of the tough bosses.  Every time I died I felt it was my fault after it finally clicked.

21 hours ago, Inigima said:

Anyone playing MK11? It is really not clicking for me. I haven't played an MK game since like... MK2. I am normally kind of a scrub at fighting games but I'm usually better than this.

A friend of mine has been a hardcore MK fan for years. He's played literally every mainstream MK game since the beginning and loved 9 and 10.

MK11 bores him. Let that sink in.

22 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Don't feel bad, parrying timing and mikiri-countering didn't really click for me until the final boss (the true final boss).

Off course if that doesn't work, you can look up Tyrannicon on youtube.

Possibly dumb observation with an obvious explanation:

In scanning metacritic reviews for Plague Tale: Innocence I noticed PS4 has the largest number of reviews. This seems odd for a multiplatform (incl PC) game. While it's understandable that PS4 has more reviews than other consoles, because there are just more PS4s out there, I would have thought reviewers would tend to favour reviewing for PC when PC is one of the platforms. But that doesn't seem to be the case, even though there are more PC gamers than any other platform.

Is it because console gamers are a bigger audience for critic reviews? Or console gamers put more stock in critic reviews, and PC gamers tend to pay more attention to user ratings on (eg) Steam?

21 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Don't feel bad, parrying timing and mikiri-countering didn't really click for me until the final boss (the true final boss).

Off course if that doesn't work, you can look up Tyrannicon on youtube.

Except for the 

Spoiler

headless ape

I found his strategies took as much time to master as just learning the boss, and then the fights were boring and took forever.

23 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

A friend of mine has been a hardcore MK fan for years. He's played literally every mainstream MK game since the beginning and loved 9 and 10.

MK11 bores him. Let that sink in.

But did he play the original one for Gameboy that was literally impossible to beat because Goro kills you in like two hits?

17 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Possibly dumb observation with an obvious explanation:

In scanning metacritic reviews for Plague Tale: Innocence I noticed PS4 has the largest number of reviews. This seems odd for a multiplatform (incl PC) game. While it's understandable that PS4 has more reviews than other consoles, because there are just more PS4s out there, I would have thought reviewers would tend to favour reviewing for PC when PC is one of the platforms. But that doesn't seem to be the case, even though there are more PC gamers than any other platform.

Is it because console gamers are a bigger audience for critic reviews? Or console gamers put more stock in critic reviews, and PC gamers tend to pay more attention to user ratings on (eg) Steam?

Video game reviewers will review a multiplatform game on multiple formats, but will tend to prioritise the version that is expected to sell most initially, which is usually PS4, because there are far more PS4s out there than X-Box Ones and maybe more PS4 Pros than PCs capable of running the game as well as a PS4 Pro, although there will generally by far more PCs out there capable of running the game overall, at a slightly lower level of detail.

So the bulk of initial release sales will be on PS4, so reviewers prioritise that format above everything else, although in the long run the PC version may end up being the biggest-selling (which is usually the case, but in some cases it can take many, many years of sales and relatively low profits).

The FF7 talk convinced me to do another play-through.

I love Cloud's Cover+Counter+Poison Blade combo.

I'm not in a rush, so it's probably gonna be a few weeks before I actually win the game. Playing the basketball game at the Golden Saucer is too important.

So... my childish quest to explore LEGO Worlds has continued. I must say, the exploration part is strangely addictive, but after finding all the biomes all that is left is stupid grinding for stuff. So instead I decided it would be neat to truly test the game's capabilities... By trying to outright build a commercial LEGO set I actually own within the game!

I took this simple enough one: https://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/img/uploaded/image539.jpg

I then took a comparably empty plot of land and started to build. It started out very frustrating because several key bricks aren't included in the game. The one whose absence hurts the most is this one: https://cdn.toypro.com/media/cache/my_thumb_big/uploads/images/custom/4794-src.jpg

Fact is, you can't attach any bricks or plates sideways, which severely restricts you in your construction despite the advantage of not having to bother with the statics of what you do. Similarly, I couldn't construct the fence as pictured, the grill on the roof and the gutter for the same reason of those parts not being there, so I was forced to use different ones to mimic them. I also realized with annoyance that you can't change the color of windows and doors, forcing you to be stuck with the ugly pre-made ones. I also didn't find any arched bricks outside of complete prefabricated structures that have to be unlocked. Since I didn't, I had to be creative in several ways to retain the look of the whole house.

But... once I got running smoothly, it became surprisingly fun. It was also amusing that while I was busy, Troublemakers and Traders kept spawning as if bringing me the parts that I needed... Well, except one cylindrical brick I needed for the chimney and where I had to abandon my house as is to go continue my exploration of my current world until a Troublemaker with it appeared.

Here is my result: https://s18.directupload.net/images/190517/wmnbdesw.jpg

I'm actually fairly proud of it: https://s18.directupload.net/images/190517/frs3mlcm.jpg

Even though I probably got some of the colors wrong: https://s18.directupload.net/images/190517/87ocmpyy.jpg

On 5/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, aceluby said:

Except for the 

Reveal hidden contents

headless ape

I found his strategies took as much time to master as just learning the boss, and then the fights were boring and took forever.

Funny you mention the ape, because that is the only fight where I used Tyrannicon's strategy.

Today was a strange day. I haven't exactly spent it playing games or anything, but the Japanese server of Fate/Grand Order currently has an awfully cool murder mystery event without any combat and just pure reasoning for the players, centered around a poll about who the culprit is.

The plot is basically that the Chaldea crew has to film a movie on short notice because of a Holy Grail touched by a dying movie director who wished for his plot to be finished. So they grab a bunch of staff and do that. The movie is about the funeral of a former general and president who had usurped a king, but now died, but still invited a small number of guests of whom many are implied to be enemies of his under wrong names. When toasting, his young widow collapses, poisoned. Unfortunately, the actress playing her actually is poisoned. The actress who at the same time is the author of the script who hasn't managed to finish the script yet. Due to the twisted nature of the fake world they are in, the actors have no choice but to continue filming the movie, making the story up as they go along, while in the breaks exchanging theories on who the culprit is...

This... actually hyped me quite a lot, given the similar narrative structure to Umineko. This... this is absolutely amazing! I can't believe Nasu wrote something like this! So I've spent half the day reading the fan translation, making notes, even drawing graphics of the relationships of the characters to scout for motives all the while letting an Umineko playlist run. I'm now really curious about the conclusion.

I just find it strange that this story has been added to FGO, since it could by all means exist as a stand-alone. There is literally no reason for any of the Chaldea staff to be in these roles.

Finished Uncharted 4. Loved it. Good blend of action, stealth, puzzles and parkour, all with a good story and good acting. Liked it a lot. Planning on going back and playing the others next. Naughty Dog just makes the kind of games I love to play. Wish there was more like them.

... and I'm back to the stupidity of the Fate fandom. Instead of voting for the most interesting theory, they all voted for Jeanne d'Arcs idiotic "the camera guy was the culprit all along!". Because boobs. And that's the only reason... -.-

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

Finished Uncharted 4. Loved it. Good blend of action, stealth, puzzles and parkour, all with a good story and good acting. Liked it a lot. Planning on going back and playing the others next. Naughty Dog just makes the kind of games I love to play. Wish there was more like them.

You should check out Lost Legacy.  It's pretty short (about eight hours I think), but it's more of the same Uncharted fun.  

Archived