Red Tiger

Video Games: Devils Die Twice

On 4/20/2019 at 2:37 AM, Toth said:

I'm still looking at your pic and wonder how the hell you managed to dismantle the HRE. I tried the diplomatic way, but immediately hit the road-block that catholic countries refused to become vassals. And when I try it with force, I can only take tiny advances for fear of gathering massive aggressive expansion and unlawful territory penalties. Instead my path turned out... quite unusual...

I got lucky my ally Austria was voted out as the emperor early on. I expanded relatively slowly, so aggressive expansion wasn't an issue (especially after I got a port to the west of Jutland and was able to start colonizing overseas), and I didn't care if emperor Baden didn't like me because of unlawful territory. What's he gonna do? Scold me?

10 hours ago, Toth said:

I like the way this is looking. You almost have a northern "Mare Nostrum" going on.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I got lucky my ally Austria was voted out as the emperor early on. I expanded relatively slowly, so aggressive expansion wasn't an issue (especially after I got a port to the west of Jutland and was able to start colonizing overseas), and I didn't care if emperor Baden didn't like me because of unlawful territory. What's he gonna do? Scold me?

How is your ally being voted out a good thing? I thought you don't get the unlawful territory penalty if the Emperor is your friend. Admittedly, in my case each time I allied an Emperor, they immediately voted him out. -.- Happened to both Hesse and Cleve.

I like the way this is looking. You almost have a northern "Mare Nostrum" going on.

Thanks. I still looked at some Youtube videos of Brandenburg playthroughs and this late in the game they all were already finishing up their world conquests, so that shows me just how horrible I am. Or unlucky... my fourth regency lasted till 1749, when my King Alexander I came to power. I named him not after the Macedon, but after the overeager Tsar Alexander of Russia who got his army killed at Austerlitz by trying to be too clever. His stats are really shitty again. I still immediately waged another crazy war.

Up until then interesting things happened politically. France turned into a Republic, but was immediately destroyed by an alliance of Spain, Milan and Savoy, costing me an important ally. Instead I managed to ally Britain, which alongside my rival Spain has the biggest colonial empire. Meanwhile Russia dragged me into a war against the Ottomans... and interestingly, after supporting them as much as I could by taking the Balkans and Constantinople, I got a war exhaustion message that allowed me to claim land in a separate peace. I didn't think that was possible, but apparently it is (maybe just when the attacker has an Imperialism casus belli?). So I grabbed Bosnia despite it being south of Hungary.

Then my idiot kid came to power and saw that my great ally Britain has cut its alliance to Milan and rivaled them. Making it the best possible target to further the unification of Germany without too much collateral damage. Milan was allied with Austria, Bohemia, Bremen, Sweden and Portugal. I was capable to bring all my allies with Russia, Hesse, Bavaria, Cleve and Great Britain to bear. I took out Bohemia early on and annexed it entirely. Bremen had a lvl 9 fortress being very annoying and binding one of my armies for 3 years. Austria folded and offered me three provinces and annulling treaties, I accepted. Then I beat up Sweden and took pretty much everything except Finland. Then I made a peace with Portugal in which I gave England a whole bunch of their colonies before finally turning towards Milan with a warscore of 96%. I pacified the Netherlands from them.

It is 1753: https://s16.directupload.net/images/190422/av799wvp.jpg

Not pictured is me burning through my entire manpower pool fighting the absurd number of revolts that wrecked Prussia for the next two years. I accumulated 217% overextension and have aggressive expansion penalties from 150 points and beyond. Cleve and Bavaria cut their alliances with me, shortly forming a coalition with Hungary, Baden and Liege, but for some reason immediately abandoning it again a few months later. I I recovered my alliance with France however. I suppose once I recover from these revolts, I go for my former allies. I really want to form Germany. Too bad Alexander's administration stat suck so absurdly badly, I still haven't cored everything...

Edited by Toth

19 hours ago, Toth said:

How is your ally being voted out a good thing? I thought you don't get the unlawful territory penalty if the Emperor is your friend. Admittedly, in my case each time I allied an Emperor, they immediately voted him out.

When you're allied with the emperor there are some prohibitions on going to war with other HRE states.

11 minutes ago, Toth said:

Thanks. I still looked at some Youtube videos of Brandenburg playthroughs and this late in the game they all were already finishing up their world conquests, so that shows me just how horrible I am.

Hey, I've never once conquered the world either. We shouldn't compare ourselves to them nerds! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

When you're allied with the emperor there are some prohibitions on going to war with other HRE states.

Okay. Good to know. But still strange... I only saw that the Emperor refused to join a war in order to not further destabilize his rule.

Hey, I've never once conquered the world either. We shouldn't compare ourselves to them nerds! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's true.

Well... at least the one advantage of sitting sick in the bed is that you can finish what you started. Because I did it. The last decades were absolutely insane, but I did it!

So I attacked Bavaria and Hesse in short order, gobbling up huge chunks of them in order to go straight for the provinces need to fulfill the conditions for forming Germany. I was constantly low on manpower, constantly fighting massive revolts and constantly low on admin points. At one point I had even a revolution happening and braced myself for becoming democratic. Much to my surprise however, the Russians came to my help and politely removed the insurgents: https://s16.directupload.net/images/190422/2v2mxtx2.jpg

That was... really odd, to say the least, but I was thankful. Though monarchy had royally screwed me over throughout the course of my playthrough, I didn't want to know just how much of Prussia had to be wrecked for the rebels to claim victory.

While still reeling from that, I waited for my truce with Hesse to expire since Hesse owned the remaining three German provinces that I needed. King Alexander then immediately rushed in to finish them despite working with whatever troops I could scrounge together.

And he did it: https://s16.directupload.net/images/190422/js6kieig.jpg

Better don't zoom into how ugly the borders with Hesse look like...

Still only ranked fifth in global ranking. I assume in front of me are Britain, Spain, Russia and maybe Ming China, though they are in deep trouble of getting eaten by Korea of all things.

So... that was Europa Universalis 4. Quite impressive game, but annoyingly unforgiving at the beginning. Just how much time have I wasted being unable to expand in any way... My main concern is that from what I can tell coalitions as a mechanic are broken. They should be a safeguard against huge blobs out for world conquest, but  instead they are only frustrating roadblocks for smaller countries that are making negligible conquests. As soon as you are big enough for world conquest, your conquests are suddenly not the business of those who are still capable of stopping you while those who feel threatened by you for whatever reason fail to create coalitions. Pretty much the only thing stopping me from unlimited total war is manpower and my allies speaking out guarantees.

But seriously. The manpower issue sucks.

Edited by Toth