Video Games: Devils Die Twice

Red Tiger

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I started Sekiro a few days ago. I’ve never played any of the Dark Souls games and I couldn’t get into Bloodborne, but I’ve committed myself to this. It’s been rough at times but it is real fun and satisfying to beat a boss. I’m also a few hours in and just now realized that I can sprint. :stunned:

I began reading The Witcher books too. I started with The Last Wish because Reddit told me to. I’m on the story about Geralt’s first meeting with Yen. Good stuff so far.

If you want some advice

Spoiler

For most bosses it is an exercise in sword clashing.  You can swipe as much as your heart desires for as long as you want, posture is also damaged on perfect deflects.  So attacking until they deflect, then deflect until they stop, then attack again until they deflect.  90% of all enemies can be dealt with like that 1:1. 

Made it to the other end boss in Sekiro yesterday, only had the opportunity to take him on 3 times, but made it to his final phase twice.  Should finish it up today, then on to NG++.  Combat is really clicking at this point, every encounter is a sword clashing dance.  Have been taking on the purple ninjas around the area I'm in now just for fun.

Well, with Imperator's irritating launch, looks like I won't be playing that again until June (stupid civil war insta fort cheat).

So for now I'm headed back to Hearts of Iron IV.

Mexico shall regain it's lost lands and become the dominant power in the Western Hemisphere!

Been playing Steamworld Quest, and it's good, but I think it's the weakest of the Steamworld games. The gameplay is more repetitive and a big part is because of how restrictive the deck building is; you can only ever have exactly 24 cards, 8 from each of the 3 characters. And because of how cards either build or consume your resource gauge, there's a limit on how varied you can get. Also, because cards get better as you level up (and you can upgrade them), there's never necessarily a need to change any your cards out; unless you want to try a different build out.

Also, the writing is still pretty charming, but it's not quite as good as Dig 2 or Heist. And there's nothing as whimsical as the ability in Heist to shoot the hats off enemies (which does no damage) and add them to your collection that your characters can wear (which provide no bonuses).

It's only on Switch right now, and it feels meant for Switch; definitely a game best played in short chunks while on the move.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well, with Imperator's irritating launch, looks like I won't be playing that again until June (stupid civil war insta fort cheat).

So for now I'm headed back to Hearts of Iron IV.

Mexico shall regain it's lost lands and become the dominant power in the Western Hemisphere!

????

I've had one bug where I couldn't make diplomatic actions but that was it.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, aceluby said:

If you want some advice

Reveal hidden contents

For most bosses it is an exercise in sword clashing.  You can swipe as much as your heart desires for as long as you want, posture is also damaged on perfect deflects.  So attacking until they deflect, then deflect until they stop, then attack again until they deflect.  90% of all enemies can be dealt with like that 1:1. 

I’m stuck.

Spoiler

The Blazing Bull and Lady Butterfly are kicking my ass. I’d rather not check YouTube but my patience is wearing thin.

With LB, I already used all my snapseeds. I get her down to her second death and just get overwhelmed with the spirits and everything.

The Blazing Bulls destroys me every time. I haven’t even got to his second life. I realized using the firecrackers works though so progress I guess. Any hints?

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m stuck.

Hide contents

The Blazing Bull and Lady Butterfly are kicking my ass. I’d rather not check YouTube but my patience is wearing thin.

With LB, I already used all my snapseeds. I get her down to her second death and just get overwhelmed with the spirits and everything.

The Blazing Bulls destroys me every time. I haven’t even got to his second life. I realized using the firecrackers works though so progress I guess. Any hints?

Spoiler

For LB, run in and hit, then dodge left or right, then hit, then dodge.  Shuriken when she jumps in the air to knock her down.  That should take care of her first phase.  When the spirits come out to play, just run around the edge until they disappear and go back to the first phase pattern.  If you stay aggressive you can do the entire second phase before she summons her friends.

For BB, hold down the run button for the entire fight and just chase his butt the entire time.  When he puts his head down to turn, swipe his butt once and then chase where he goes.  Sprinkle in some firecrackers to stun him and get a bunch of hits in, then back off and start chasing his butt.  There's no stamina in this game, so just keep running during this fight and whittle down his health little by little.

I just finished the second ending and got the all bosses trophy.  Started up NG++ to make my way through and get all the prosthetic upgrades and skills next.  I'll see how the end goes before I decide if I'll try to get all the trophies on this single play (and go into NG+++), or start over.  The nice thing about NG+'s is that the mini-bosses are completely optional at this point since they don't really provide anything after NG, so it's just speeding from boss to boss.

Gone back to Two Point Hospital and man, it's still a fantastic game. I'd picked up some DLCs which made the game more varied without making it ridiculously harder and some of the new diseases are hilarious.

Also started replaying Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars with my housemate (who'd played it waaaay back in the day) and it's held up as a really great adventure game. We're planning to play the entire series (I've never played the rest of the series, always meant to). I was incredibly confused when the game started in a completely different place to what I remembered, but then discovered that the current version of the game is a "director's cut" with all-new scenes sprinkled through the game. Very nicely done.

10 hours ago, aceluby said:
  Reveal hidden contents

For LB, run in and hit, then dodge left or right, then hit, then dodge.  Shuriken when she jumps in the air to knock her down.  That should take care of her first phase.  When the spirits come out to play, just run around the edge until they disappear and go back to the first phase pattern.  If you stay aggressive you can do the entire second phase before she summons her friends.

For BB, hold down the run button for the entire fight and just chase his butt the entire time.  When he puts his head down to turn, swipe his butt once and then chase where he goes.  Sprinkle in some firecrackers to stun him and get a bunch of hits in, then back off and start chasing his butt.  There's no stamina in this game, so just keep running during this fight and whittle down his health little by little.

I just finished the second ending and got the all bosses trophy.  Started up NG++ to make my way through and get all the prosthetic upgrades and skills next.  I'll see how the end goes before I decide if I'll try to get all the trophies on this single play (and go into NG+++), or start over.  The nice thing about NG+'s is that the mini-bosses are completely optional at this point since they don't really provide anything after NG, so it's just speeding from boss to boss.

I beat both of the bosses I was stuck at in like the 3 attempts each today. Sometimes you just need to a break and regroup :dunno:.

19 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Valve Index. 

Same. But then saw that it is not being released in Australia (through steam anyway). Which is extremely annoying.

Also, I was hoping it was going to be closer to AUD$1000 than $1400. Specially since my alternative plan was getting a Rift which was on sale for $400. But now Rift is discontinued and Rift S is around $700 and seems to have pretty average specs for the price.

Gah, Not sure what to do now.

8 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Same. But then saw that it is not being released in Australia (through steam anyway). Which is extremely annoying.

Also, I was hoping it was going to be closer to AUD$1000 than $1400. Specially since my alternative plan was getting a Rift which was on sale for $400. But now Rift is discontinued and Rift S is around $700 and seems to have pretty average specs for the price.

Gah, Not sure what to do now.

I was unable to resist and pre-ordered it. :)

It is a bit more expensive than the VIVE preorder was 3 years ago.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I beat both of the bosses I was stuck at in like the 3 attempts each today. Sometimes you just need to a break and regroup :dunno:.

That's actually a really good approach.  Sleeping on it usually gets me over the hump.  Took 3 days each (only 30-60 min each day) for the two final bosses (different endings) and the super hard optional boss, but was absolutely nailing it by the 3rd day on each of them.

The folks at Waypoint are running another charity stream, Save Point 2.0. They're streaming for 72 hours to raise money for Trans Lifeline. If you want to tune in or donate you can check it out here: https://tiltify.com/+waypoint/savepoint-translifeline

Last year they raised over $60,000 for The Florence Project, and this year they're already closing in on $20,000 after just two hours. 

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm a few hours into Uncharted 4. Love. Naughty Dog just makes games the way I want to play them. Give me a compelling story and shit to do. I don't need freedom beyond that.

Was a great game.

I beat The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories, which was Swery's (the Japanese developer with a clear passion for Twin Peaks) new game that came out back in October.

That was a hell of a thing, and one that I had no idea what it was truly about it before I played it. The controls were a bit janky and times, and the underlying conceit of a girl physically harming herself (ripping off limbs, getting set on fire, rolling around as just a head, etc.) over-and-over and then regenerating herself to solve puzzles is just upsetting at its core. At least, until the end when you learn

Spoiler

that the entire game is a dream happening after a failed suicide attempt and that the female protagonist is biologically male in the real world and her suicide attempt was from the fallout of her mother learning her secret and bullying happening at school. And all the self-harm was a metaphor for the pain she was going through every day.

I don't really feel equipped to properly review the game, but I thought it was all really well done. From what I read online, it seems like the trans gaming community also thought it was an appropriately told story.

Until the ending, the game is told through flash-back text messages that unlock at set storypoints and as you get collectables. They're mostly well-written, but what really stand out are the stickers. I wish I owned all of them; if I did, I might never use an actual word in a text ever again.

Waypoint's stream ultimately raised over $160,000.00 for Trans Lifeline. A huge increase over last year's stream. The things this site does are really incredible. 

It's a shame they're being folded into the main Vice brand going forward, but I'm sure the work the team put out will continue being just as important. 

Okay, another dumb decision here. I bought the current humble bundle to get LEGO Worlds. Mostly because I am one of the few people who don't own Minecraft and thought that is basically the next best thing.

It is not.

It could be, but for some inane reason they decided not to just copy Minecraft with LEGO and that... does take out a lot of steam. The basic idea is that you are exploring a galaxy of random procedurally generated worlds that has one or two biomes of which there are a whole bunch. And... break everyone's shit. No seriously. Every world is littered with small builds like plants or furniture or cars and everything and aside quest rewards and hidden treasure chests your best method of income is completely thrashing the scenery. So far so good. But all you get from that is coins, coins that you can only invest in items at the trader or unlocking these tiny builds as something you can just paste into the countryside. Endlessly. Because once unlocked, you don't have to pay anything at all to make an infinite number of copies. Which you won't ever do, because it's stupid. This is basically just to encourage you to unlock the entire catalogue and artificially stretch out the length of the game.

The "brick builds" are even worse. Far worse If you want to create something yourself, you have to unlock each and every single brick individually. And you unlock them by catching "troublemakers", little gnomes of which one spawns nearby every 30 minutes or so and who might carry a new type of brick that unlocks once you beat the snot out of him because you are a freaking toy psychopath. Rinse and repeat... forever. Come on, this is just padding!

The worst part however is: The game doesn't encourage you at all to build anything nice. There are random NPC that might ask you to finish their houses, but even the bloody narrator in the tutorial says that a half-assed job is enough to finish these quests. So you go for half-assed. Especially since your variety of bricks is so ridiculously limited until after you've spent hours waiting for troublemakers to spawn or pay ridiculous amounts of coins at the trader. Also: These quests are the only part where you actually need to build anything. So you build stuff only for random NPCs, never for yourself. Unlike Minecraft, where you are encouraged to build you hideout against monsters and to farm food, so while you are at it you usually think "Why not just make it a castle?" and go for that. LEGO Worlds doesn't have that. There are a lot of monsters that spawn, especially at night, but they are either pitifully weak or pretty damn invincible. So you tend to just ignore them altogether and keep exploring.

Then again, there also is a creative mode where you don't need to unlock anything and can just build. But why? It has no game-play value whatsoever. The only thing the game is about is exploration (which is nice) and breaking stuff. Why do you have to unlock stuff until you've basically got the creative mode? What incentive is there to explore aside filling a glorified sticker album? The game would have been a lot better if it dared to copy more from Minecraft. Just... allow the players to harvest all the bricks of the landscape individually into their inventory and give all the builds fixed costs. Allow players to strip mine entire worlds to use the parts in the next! Add more survival elements to make the builds useful in growing foods and giving protection against enemies. And as a side note: A vehicle editor would be really nice! I know it would just lead people to build Star Wars stuff, but come on, they probably will do that anyway.

Too bad... other than that, it is quite pretty, the exploration is fun and the construction editor is well thought out (even if the wonky controls clearly aren't). But unfortunately it is just pointless grinding and having your psychopath protagonist breaking everything.

Archived