Video Games: Devils Die Twice

Red Tiger

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

Respawn were announced as making this game a long, long time before Apex Legends came out. In fact, I think they made Apex Legends really quickly and almost out of the blue (it was a game they presented done-and-dusted to EA rather than being asked for it), out of an attempt to make a new multiplayer Titanfall and then deciding to go in a different direction.

Respawn used to be Infinity Ward (the real one, not the zombie one Activision still keep on life support) and they got fucked nine ways to Sunday by Activision, so it wouldn't surprise me if their contract with EA was much, much more stringent in what they can do and how much creative autonomy they have than either Visceral or BioWare were able to negotiate.

I think that Respawn isn't actually owned by EA either, so that probably factors in.  Respawn owns the rights to the IPs they create, not EA.  Thus, they probably have more clout to do what they want.  They simply get funding and publication through EA, and as you said I'm sure they didn't fuck themselves over with the contract they signed.

BioWare and Visceral are/were both owned by EA.  EA controls what games they make and how they make them.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Jedi Fallen Order does sound promising - though I'd like to see some gameplay before I get too hyped, which I'm sure will come at E3 - but I am also confused about how Respawn managed to convince EA to fund this kind of game. Especially given everything we've all just read about in Schreier's Bioware pieces.

Respawn has had a track record of delivering good games on time and on budget. Bioware has not. 

A bit strange since my last game played was EU4, but since I had to let off some steam, I installed Dead Island again. I still really want to see how transporting a savefile into Dead Island Riptide works. Unfortunately I was too stupid to recover my old game from my broken old hard drive, so I had to start a new game, this time as the Aborigine policewoman who has the odd luck to be the character most proficient with guns in a game where you hardly get any. Also... I can't remember there being so ridiculously many fetch quests among the first batch of survivors... screw this...

Really, Dead Island is a strange game that doesn't exactly know what it wants to be. On the one hand it wants to be a serious psychological horror game with the somber soundtrack, the constantly miserable survivors and the suspense of never feeling safe outside the hideouts thanks to the respawning and always threatening zombies. That works great! On the other hand, the gameplay is a first-person Diablo clone with a truly ludicrous array of insane weapons with which you can explode poor zombies into bloody pieces. In a lot of ways, it feels like the characters from Shaun of the Dead being dropped in 28 Days later... while on holiday on a pacific island. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

But yes, yes. I will also go back to EU4 in my holidays...

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I think that Respawn isn't actually owned by EA either, so that probably factors in.  Respawn owns the rights to the IPs they create, not EA.  Thus, they probably have more clout to do what they want.  They simply get funding and publication through EA, and as you said I'm sure they didn't fuck themselves over with the contract they signed.

BioWare and Visceral are/were both owned by EA.  EA controls what games they make and how they make them.

Respawn was bought out by EA in December 2017 for $151 million cash and $161 million equity, so they are wholly owned by EA.

15 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Jedi Fallen Order does sound promising - though I'd like to see some gameplay before I get too hyped, which I'm sure will come at E3 - but I am also confused about how Respawn managed to convince EA to fund this kind of game. Especially given everything we've all just read about in Schreier's Bioware pieces.

I'm in both a Star Wars and a Bioware mood, so I think I might finally try The Old Republic. Is it worth it to get the standard edition for 15 bucks, which subscribes you for a few months and gets you the DLC? Or should I just go free to play? 

I made three attempts to get into The Old Republic. On paper, it sounds like something I would love - Star Wars! RPG! Made by Bioware! In reality, there is too much boring MMORPG combat, and the enjoyable content is spread way too thin for my tastes. In the end, I decided that there are many better games out there to spend my time on.

I would recommend trying the free-to-play version first.

17 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I'm in both a Star Wars and a Bioware mood, so I think I might finally try The Old Republic. Is it worth it to get the standard edition for 15 bucks, which subscribes you for a few months and gets you the DLC? Or should I just go free to play?  

In addition to what the others said, keep in mind that all the shiny Knights of the Fallen Empire stuff is essentially bonus content for high level characters who have finished their respective personal stories. And those are free. So it doesn't hurt to play those first without paying and see whether you like the characters and want to see them in a better story.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Thanks for TOR advice, all! I might try out free to play and see what I think, and then take it from there.

The Kajhiit faction is the best in Jace's opinion. Tropical islands and skooma stills.

6 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Wait, is there an Elder Scrolls crossover in the Old Republic?

Haha! WOW!

Lol. I got my wires crossed between when I clicked on the reply box and got back to type in it. 

I meant to say "the Sith Inquisitor and Agent are the best classes, the rest suck."

But I got distracted for a few minutes and was thinking about how all the factions in TESO suck except the Kajhiit affiliated one.

Sorry. Apparently TESO has great sway over my mind. :leaving:

44 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Yeah, but they're sneaky and called them Cathar.

I've played KotOR for sixteen years. In that time I've exited the Ebon Hawk probably close to two thousand times.

With the exception of the Rakatan temple where the decision is not mine, Juhani has not been taken off the ship since late 2003.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Haha! WOW!

Lol. I got my wires crossed between when I clicked on the reply box and got back to type in it. 

I meant to say "the Sith Inquisitor and Agent are the best classes, the rest suck."

But I got distracted for a few minutes and was thinking about how all the factions in TESO suck except the Kajhiit affiliated one.

Sorry. Apparently TESO has great sway over my mind. :leaving:

Hahahaha!!!

You embarrassed yourself in front of the plebs!!!

Hardware details for the PS5 are out...

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

With a built-in SSD, it's closer to a PC than ever before. Personally, I'm most interested in hearing more about this 3D audio and whether it's a gimmick or not.

No details on anything besides the hardware yet.

EU4 doesn't know whether it hates me or barely tolerates me. I started up my last Brandenburg save and was immediately attacked by a tiny coalition. While I was busy fending them off, the massive Commonwealth also declared war on me and casually steamrolled me. I reload the very same save and the very same coalition immediately disbands and nothing happens.

What the hell is going on?!?

Meanwhile I also continued my Dead Island run these last few days. I'm still in chapter 3 at the resort area, but making good progress on the side quests. It is also nice to regain my skills from my earlier run years ago. After realizing that you can just kick the shambling zombies over and cut their heads off while they are flailing helplessly on the ground, the Walkers have moved from being annoying to actually being amusing to fight. I'm still wasting my grenades for Thugs though, because they are impossible to fight fairly. Also I'm not quite sure how I can't remember the infected runners to be as frustrating as they currently are...

7 hours ago, Toth said:

EU4 doesn't know whether it hates me or barely tolerates me. I started up my last Brandenburg save and was immediately attacked by a tiny coalition. While I was busy fending them off, the massive Commonwealth also declared war on me and casually steamrolled me. I reload the very same save and the very same coalition immediately disbands and nothing happens.

What year are you on?

My Brandenburg start is currently at 1771 and  I am on the verge of forming Germany. The only nation standing in my way is my ex-ally Austria who currently owns Pfalz (along with half of France) A major war is on the horizon, and with a little luck I'll have Germany formed before 1800. (I also plan to give France a lot of land back in that war, hopefully making them my ally. Ever since Austria betrayed me Prussia has been on it's own)

Ironman4ever!

Situation 10 July 1785 - https://i.imgur.com/LSiJVTO.png

The war to take Pfalz from Austria and thus form a United German Nation begins.

Currently Prussia has its 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th Corps in Europe for a grand total of 170,000 effectives. (4th Corps is currently stationed in Taiwan with 30,000)

Austria currently has 185,000 troops in the field, and their ally Utrecht are supplying them with another 30,000.

My ally Lithuania can muster 80,000.

The plan is to send everything I have available at Utrecht, curb-stomp them, then link up with Lithuanian forces to annihilate Austria.

Home by Christmas 1790.

Edit: Dang. I was able to form Germany, but unable to liberate France. https://i.imgur.com/12UQ17p.png

A crap-ton of Austrian Revolutionaries appeared, so I made peace early. Give it a decade France. I'll free you eventually.

Archived