MCUniverse: Cat Scratch Fever edition.

Red Tiger

6 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

If Vers is visiting lots of worlds, most of these years could have been spent traveling in space at relativistic speeds so her body has aged less years than have passed for the rest of us.  But if you're in a galaxy with spaceships, why not just use one?   Gets back to that lightspeed engine improvement over regular ships that they need to explain.

For not calling Carol before, just say he had supers on the job each time whom he trusted to deal with omega threats, and each threat was something they could point to, understand, and send the team to fight it.  So he had faith in them and was rewarded.   

And danvers can't get here in a half hour, so the ultron extinction threat was too immediate for her to make a difference.  Maybe he texted "Emergency" and then "Fixed," but who cares.  When ultron was winning and they were laying low, wasn't it because they didnt know what to do?  No clear target or way to make progress against an enemy that drops each shell body as needed and wakes up half a world away in a fresh body.  Carol wouldn't have done any better against ultron's proliferation phase.  The new infinity war threat was instantly beyond us and not something fury was going to be around to grapple with, so a last second summons.  Makes sense to me.   

I would not start introducing time dilation into light-speed travel in the MCU, because that would create enormous timeline problems. If the new Skrull world is 20 light years from Earth (which is extremely close on a Galactic scale) then while it will take very little time from CM and the Skrull ship's perspective to get to this new home after leaving Earth (basically zero time if they are travelling at light speed), 20 years would still pass on Earth. Then if she's traveling back after getting Fury's message, almost no time will pass for her, but she'd get to Earth 20 years after Fury sent the message. That's assuming the way she modified the pager was to use quantum entanglement so that she would receive Fury's message the moment he sent it.

At least the "conventional" wormhole travel that the Galactic civilisations use don't have that time dilation problem to contend with.

Since FTL travel is totally made up fictional bullshit, one need not be concerned about things like relativistic effects on the passage of time, and you can just handwave the whole time dilation issue, and just say one travels through space really fast and time moves the same for you as for those at your departure and destination points. If you applied relativistic logic to FTL travel and time, you'd say that since time slows down as you approach light speed and then it stopsat light speed, then when you go faster than light speed time would wither reverse or start to speed up again. So if CM spent a fair amount of time whizzing around at FTL speeds (including getting from wherever she was to Earth after the snap), then she should either be younger than she was when she left, or older than you would expect her to be.

It's much better that the combination of Kree manipulation and Tessaract energy kept her from aging substantially, and we pretend relativity isn't a thing in the MCU. I'm quite fine with the effect of the Tessaract alone basically making her immortal and freezing the aging process to the age she was when she got blasted. It is an infinity stone after all, so it does things of an infinity kind of nature.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Insufficient time is not an excuse.  There was ample time to realize he ("it"?) was an existential threat - and even sufficient time to realize him raising a city into the sky was, ya know, globally threatening.  Hell, they created Vision in the meantime.  When you think you're fucked, you exhaust all options.

Age of Ultron takes place super-fast, over less than a week and maybe only over 3-4 days (they even make a big deal out of the fact that new tech used to create Vision's body did it in just a few hours). Fury knew it was going to take Carol a lot longer to get back, plus he knew all of his big hitters were still in play and they had the capability to deal with the situation. Ultron was actually considerably less of a threat than the Chitauri, where the question is perhaps a bit more relevant.

Age of Ultron also takes place in that weird period when SHIELD really doesn't exist at all, so Fury's not looped into everything that's going on as much as he was before, when SHIELD formally existed, and later on, when SHIELD was kind-of refounded.

Another answer is that Fury literally calls Carol only when he realises he's dying, so Fury's default position on life is that as long as he is breathing, he knows the situation is going to be dealt with and he doesn't need Carol.

The final answer is simply metaknowledge:  Fury did call in Captain Marvel and she arrived at the end of the film when the "new Avengers" are assembling. They even shot effects plates for her showing up. But they hadn't cast Larson at that point and Feige was still not 100% sure how they were handling Captain Marvel, so he nuked the shot and they used it instead for Scarlet Witch arriving. That was yet another thing that really pissed off Joss Whedon and led to him quitting the MCU, as he felt the ending they got was very underwhelming and they needed bigger-hitters showing up (they were also going to have Spider-Man, which is easier as they just needed to stick someone in the suit, but the deal with Sony got delayed and didn't clear in time).

Sokovia is the only part of the film that she could have helped with anyway - the problem up until then was that he was all over the internet and no amount of fighting would solve that. What would Carol have done to help in the first two thirds?

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Age of Ultron takes place super-fast, over less than a week and maybe only over 3-4 days (they even make a big deal out of the fact that new tech used to create Vision's body did it in just a few hours). Fury knew it was going to take Carol a lot longer to get back, plus he knew all of his big hitters were still in play and they had the capability to deal with the situation.

I don't know the exact timeline, but they had time to chop wood at Clint's house and Fury had time to trade barbs about John Deere with Stark.  Again, in the real world, someone in Fury's position would be busy exhausting all options rather than hanging out in a barn during that period.  Is it a huge complaint?  No.  But I don't think that's really arguable.

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

plus he knew all of his big hitters were still in play and they had the capability to deal with the situation. Ultron was actually considerably less of a threat than the Chitauri, where the question is perhaps a bit more relevant.

First, I don't think Fury "knew," or was sure, the Avengers had the capability to deal with it.  All he did was a pep talk and presumably ordered the evac carriers.  Two, how in the world (no pun intended) is Ultron less of a threat than the Chitauri?  Loki's strategy seemed to be brute force focused on one city, and his plan apparently didn't even warrant a response from an actual air force (albeit that's a complaint for most of the movies).  Ultron's plan of lifting a city into the sky then dropping it is plainly more threatening and immediately threatening at that.

43 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Another answer is that Fury literally calls Carol only when he realises he's dying, so Fury's default position on life is that as long as he is breathing, he knows the situation is going to be dealt with and he doesn't need Carol.

I suppose that's an answer, but it makes Fury look pretty stupid.  And self-centered.

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The final answer is simply metaknowledge:  Fury did call in Captain Marvel and she arrived at the end of the film when the "new Avengers" are assembling. They even shot effects plates for her showing up. But they hadn't cast Larson at that point and Feige was still not 100% sure how they were handling Captain Marvel, so he nuked the shot and they used it instead for Scarlet Witch arriving. That was yet another thing that really pissed off Joss Whedon and led to him quitting the MCU, as he felt the ending they got was very underwhelming and they needed bigger-hitters showing up

Fair enough, and interesting.  Do you have confirmation on this or just speculating?

8 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Sokovia is the only part of the film that she could have helped with anyway

True but she coulda really streamlined their plan there:  Take out Ultron, evacuate the city, then have her smash the whole damn thing to pieces.  She's the only one that could do the latter at that point - although it seems like Thor is capable of such now.

You can definitely see the signs of meddling in that movie, but in fairness to the comittee, Carol just showing up out of nowhere at the end would have been pretty bad in the 'storytelling' stakes.

Also as much as like Whedon as a creator he does have a bad habit of refusing to take any responsibility when a project of his goes wrong (which is quite a lot of them) and being fairly petty about it. Hell he's even been out there specifically making sure everyone knows that the 'toad struck by lightning' line in X-Men was entirely Halle Berry's fault even though he wrote it. So I always take with a pinch of salt just how much was a studio's fault when he says things like that these days.

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

True. I like the he called her then cancelled theory myself.

Yeah, she's probably spent half the last 20 years racing back to Earth in response to one emergency after another, but Fury always cancels it just before she gets there. So when she arrives in Endgame, her top priority is finding Fury and killing him herself.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

You can definitely see the signs of meddling in that movie, but in fairness to the comittee, Carol just showing up out of nowhere at the end would have been pretty bad in the 'storytelling' stakes.

Yeah, Feige's objections mentioned in the links Wert provided sounded very reasonable to me, and almost certainly the right way to go.  And yes, it's clear from just watching it once that Age of Ultron was fucked with way too much by the studio.

I think I have a bit of an idea about time-stamping with Cap and Widow's looks.

Blonde Widow is for the scenes in the movie before the first confrontation with Thanos, which are pretty much just weeks / months after the snap.

Beardy Cap is sad boy cap who's feeling very sorry and sad about things, with no idea what can be done.

Shaven Cap is cap with a mission, a purpose and an plan for how to fix things (probably shaves when Tony and Nebula show up, and of course after CM shows with her glowy jazz hands.

Long red hair Widow is for scenes after the first confrontation with Thanos, where time has passed (been skipped in movie time) and her hair has had time to grow, and the world has run out of blonde Nutrisse.

Cap may re-grow his beard when he goes back into an emotional funk after their first "Let's get Thanos" mission fails.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I've always thought it silly to read tea leaves through hairstyles, but this link basically confirms it:

“Every hairstyle that Scarlet Johansson has had and every movie that we’ve done has come from Scarlet Johansson,” he said.

6 hours ago, felice said:

Yeah, she's probably spent half the last 20 years racing back to Earth in response to one emergency after another, but Fury always cancels it just before she gets there. So when she arrives in Endgame, her top priority is finding Fury and killing him herself.

"Fury there are too many motherfucking texts on my motherfucking pager. I said emergency use only!"

8 hours ago, felice said:

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

"Fury there are too many motherfucking texts on my motherfucking pager. I said emergency use only!"

If relativistic effects really are in the MCU, her turning up for Endgame is probably her finally getting to Earth after Fury paged her in 2011 when Thor was having a bit of a hard time dealing with Sparky Sparky Boom Man.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If relativistic effects really are in the MCU, her turning up for Endgame is probably her finally getting to Earth after Fury paged her in 2011 when Thor was having a bit of a hard time dealing with Sparky Sparky Boom Man.

Oh you could a fantastic bit between her and Thor with that

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Blonde Widow is for the scenes in the movie before the first confrontation with Thanos, which are pretty much just weeks / months after the snap.

Beardy Cap is sad boy cap who's feeling very sorry and sad about things, with no idea what can be done.

Shaven Cap is cap with a mission, a purpose and an plan for how to fix things (probably shaves when Tony and Nebula show up, and of course after CM shows with her glowy jazz hands.

Long red hair Widow is for scenes after the first confrontation with Thanos, where time has passed (been skipped in movie time) and her hair has had time to grow, and the world has run out of blonde Nutrisse.

Cap may re-grow his beard when he goes back into an emotional funk after their first "Let's get Thanos" mission fails.

I like the idea that the snap somehow targetted manufacturers of blonde hair products/dyes but not red.

It maybe also targeted hipsters/male grooming industry members meaning no one wants or can maintain a beard

Anyone else feel the Hulk was underutilized? I just get he’s been relegated as only being the strong dumb guy with no great story of his own anymore. Hell Ross chased Banner down like a dog for years, yet none of the Avengers seem to have any animosity towards him.  He’s almost treated like he’s Hawkeye imo.

Archived