MCUniverse: Cat Scratch Fever edition.

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Well, this is terrible. Everyone, be extremely cautious. Someone recorded scenes from a screening of Endgame, so significant spoilers are online. I'm pretty much going into social media blackout mode for the next week and a half.

Some people are such cunts. 

Finally got around to watching captain marvel, basically the dictionary definition of meh. 

Can indirectly confirm that spoilers are out in the hands of dickheads across the globe. A friend of mine across the pond saw something major on a tumblr he follows (I know absolutely nothing about that site other than the name) posted or was posted on or however, and he put up a facebook post today saying he is absolutely crushed that he heard major stuff before he got to see it. Dude is probably the biggest Marvel geek I know, and for him to post this huge emotional message makes me even more fearful as we get closer. He's Catholic, as well, so he had about the worst Monday imaginable. I imagine he's about 6 pints in already and will be on a bender all week.

I agree with BFC. Some people really are cunts. And Captain Marvel was the Meh'est of Mehs, even more Meh than the Ed Norton Hulk.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:29 PM, Argonath Diver said:

I agree with BFC. Some people really are cunts. And Captain Marvel was the Meh'est of Mehs, even more Meh than the Ed Norton Hulk.

Captain Marvel wasn't the best Marvel movie by a long-shot, but it was certainly superior to The Incredible Hulk (which I now comfortably rank as the very weakest Marvel movie, although certainly still watchable). TIC has a somewhat meh central performance - Norton is fantastic when he switches it on, but he didn't in this movie - completely disposable secondary characters, poor set pieces and wastes Tim Roth as the villain (although that's a recurring MCU role). It if wasn't for Thunderbolt Ross inexplicably consistently showing up in the following movies, it could be easily deleted from the canon.

I'd say Captain Marvel was very comfortably in the middle of the pack. It was a much better film than TIC, Iron Man 2-3Thor: The Dark WorldAge of Ultron and probably Thor 1. I'd probably rank it below GotG 1, Winter SoldierCivil WarInfinity War and The Avengers 1, maybe kicking somewhere around Iron Man 1 in quality.

Probably was a mix of recency bias and the fact that I thought the entire final act was completely absurd in the context of the rest of the MCU movies. I spent a full half hour thinking "Why the F didn't they just ..." instead of enjoying it. I did like Larson quite a lot, but I thought it was one of Jude Law's weakest performances I've seen, felt Bening coasted through both her roles instead of gleefully chewing it up as I hoped she would, and in general just really didn't enjoy any of the Kree portions of it. 

Just personal preference. These movies are, in a way, just like paper comics were to me as a boy - subjectivity trumps objectivity for me. I never liked Spiderman or Fantastic Four stuff as a kid, but I loved X-Men and Batman. Similarly, I don't really mind if a comic book movie is "better" or "worse", as I see them purely as entertainment vehicles. So, as someone who gleefully re-watches movies all the time, I definitely have it on the same Never-Will-Bother-To-Rewatch tier with Hulk, Ultron, and Iron Man 3I loved the space opera stuff in GotG1 (but not 2!) and Ragnarok far, far more than this one. Heck, I even enjoyed the Del Toro-knockoff fantasy parts of Thor 2 more, though it was a pretty absurd movie.

I doubt any of us have quite the same rankings of the MCU flicks, other than similar-ish tiers. Heck, my best friend hated Black Panther despite having absurd crushes on the two lead actors, whereas I think it was the most fun cinema experience (not specific to the movie, just the vibe) that I've had since The Force Awakens and before that, Fellowship of the Ring.

Haha. Currently watching Winter Soldier and Fury just said, "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye".

Fury trusted you. And you betrayed him. Yeah, I'm talking to you G.

Edit: Stephen Strange must be one famous doctor. Sitwell just name dropped him as a potential threat like 2 years before he became a wizard.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Haha. Currently watching Winter Soldier and Fury just said, "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye".

Fury trusted you. And you betrayed him. Yeah, I'm talking to you G.

Edit: Stephen Strange must be one famous doctor. Sitwell just name dropped him as a potential threat like 2 years before he became a wizard.

Algorithms, man. Algorithms. 

My last re-watch has been Age of Ultron, the last MCU film that has a connection with Agents of SHIELD, as much as AoS continued to drop references to more recent ones.

So in Ultron, we see Hawkeye's family - he has a boy that looks to be about 10, a girl that looks 6, and at the end of the film another boy is born. Now I'm suspicious of the shot we see in the Endgame trailer of him teaching his daughter archery. That girl looks too old, considering the time gap between films. So, maybe that scene is not an actual flashback, but something else, maybe a possible future.

I'm sort of doing a rewatch, albeit a slow one as I'm doing the tv shows amongst it. Currently up to Agents of Shield season 4 and Jessica Jones 2. I think Thor Ragnorak is my next step. Taken a few years as I've taken my time.

Might do another one soon but just films. Chronologically of course, so will wait until Cap Marvel is out on dvd.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

My last re-watch has been Age of Ultron, the last MCU film that has a connection with Agents of SHIELD, as much as AoS continued to drop references to more recent ones.

If you’re just talking about MCU movies that connect with AoS and not the other way around, then I believe the last one was 

...they never have. Entirely one way traffic.  AoS just gradually stopped bothering, they mentioned Civil War (and assumed it’d be be the same as the comics when it wasn’t really) and gave a quick nod to Infinity War. 

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

If you’re just talking about MCU movies that connect with AoS and not the other way around, then I believe the last one was 

...they never have. Entirely one way traffic.  AoS just gradually stopped bothering, they mentioned Civil War (and assumed it’d be be the same as the comics when it wasn’t really) and gave a quick nod to Infinity War. 

I don't recall which season of AoS it was, it may have been season 2 finale, when the Agents find Strucker's base, and the movie opens up with the Avengers attacking said base. We also see Coulson had been working on a secret project to restore the helicarrier, and when Fury shows up in it, he said he had it restored with the help of some old friends. So I'd say there was a bit of a two-way going on here, and yes the last time the movies acknowledged the TV verse.

20 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

More like celebrated surgeon with genius IQ, Tony Stark like persona, you get the math (pun intended)...

"Glares suspiciously at Corvinus's Avatar"

Some raccoons broke into my trash last night and made a mess of things. YOU wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

48 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

One hell of an algorithm. 

Doctor  --->  Car Crash  --->  Wizard.

I think the idea was that Hydra’s algorithm sought out potentially problematic people once they revealed themselves to the world. So maybe they scanned Steven Strange and determined he might take issue with Hydra and led a rebellion or something. He doesn’t have to become a wizard to be a problem for Hydra. Granted, it’s a bit strange that he was the second name on Sitwell’s mind when he explained it.

Really capable people who can turn the tide of history in new directions of their choosing, not Hydra's, were put on the kill list.  So Strange becoming a wiZARD prooves the algorithm was right to try and nip these people in the bud.   Because Strange did it by using his (algorithm-identifiable) extreme drive and ability to manipulate the resources of the world with exquisite skill to create even "impossible" outcomes he desires.   So it makes sense he's on the list.  It makes less sense he'd be an example Sitwell chose.  Unless he's famous like Dr. Phil or something for pulling off some high profile surgical saves.

Raccoons and us used to stare each other down in the back yard and it was fun because their eyes reflect the flashlight real hard.  But then they climbed the cypress tree where our adopted family of squirrels lived.  That's when it got personal.

Archived