MCUniverse: Cat Scratch Fever edition.

Red Tiger

Endgame BO Poised for Record $850-900 Global Opening

Marvel Studios and Disney's superhero juggernaut is virtually assured of shattering records with a projected global launch of $850 to $900 million, including a potential all-time best of $270 million to $300 million in North America, where it unfurls in 4,600 theaters, the widest release ever.

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Does it say something about me that i skim read the headline and BO went to Body Odour Records for Endgame

It says you're cool.  Thought basically the same thing typing it, but it's still quicker than box office!

So the question is if it can exceed Avatar, which would mean for the first time in 22 years, the highest-grossing movie of all time is not by James Cameron (though he might get it back in December 2020 when Avatar 2 drops, although I'm sceptical if it can generate the same kind of interest).

I don't see it. Defo goes 2nd all time in my opinion, but it's a long way to top spot. And for some reason i see avatar 2 being like Jurassic park 2 (original). Making a shit ton of money, but far less than the prequel. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

So the question is if it can exceed Avatar, which would mean for the first time in 22 years, the highest-grossing movie of all time is not by James Cameron (though he might get it back in December 2020 when Avatar 2 drops, although I'm sceptical if it can generate the same kind of interest).

I'm a little amazed at Avatar's box office success and how well it's held up over time given that it didn't have a legacy to stand on like a Star Wars or Avengera movie. 

35 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I'm a little amazed at Avatar's box office success and how well it's held up over time given that it didn't have a legacy to stand on like a Star Wars or Avengera movie. 

I've still never seen it.  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I always thought it was the 3D that made it such a success? It was the first film to do it on such a big scale with such a gorgeous setting. We may be a bit jaded about 3D now but it was a big deal at the time and people went to multiple screenings just to experience the 3D. 

I can barely remember what happens in the film but I can still remember it looking beautiful.

What's more interesting for me is whether the sequels can hold up after such a long wait. Given Cameron's track record and ability to innovate visually I wouldn't bet against him but he has to come up with the next thing from 3D or improve the story significantly.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Unless he has a new kind of movie wizardry attached to the movie (smell-o-vision perhaps?) My prediction is that the $2Bn club won't be troubled by Avatar 2's application offer membership.

Most people I know who saw Avatar think it's a pretty ordinary movie taken as a whole and it's only the 3D wizardry that made it any good to watch.

Seems at least like it has the critical chops to break records. Now it's down to audiences.

Being the culmination of a story told piecemeal over the course of 20 movies, the movie not sucking and falling over in the final act (which happens with a lot of stories being told in the span of just 90 minutes to 2.5 hrs) is an achievement in itself. That it's looking like it will be a very good movie is amazing.

Assuming the reviews hold up (which I imagine they will) Endgame is pretty much guaranteed a best picture Oscar nomination. The only question is will it do a Return of the King and actually break new ground by winning the big prize.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems at least like it has the critical chops to break records. Now it's down to audiences.

Being the culmination of a story told piecemeal over the course of 20 movies, the movie not sucking and falling over in the final act (which happens with a lot of stories being told in the span of just 90 minutes to 2.5 hrs) is an achievement in itself. That it's looking like it will be a very good movie is amazing.

Assuming the reviews hold up (which I imagine they will) Endgame is pretty much guaranteed a best picture Oscar nomination. The only question is will it do a Return of the King and actually break new ground by winning the big prize.

A superhero film getting a best picture Oscar nomination? I'd be very, very surprised.

Thanos brings out the homo erectus in us all.   And all humans will report to theaters next week.   If these movies are ever going to receive recogNition now would be a good  opportunity to reward the entire decade long phenomenon as it culminates.

Can't you almost taste the culmination?      All humans will.  They must.   At some point Oscar starts to look mentally handicapped for holding out.

11 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

A superhero film getting a best picture Oscar nomination? I'd be very, very surprised.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

...are you kidding?

WAKANDA FOREVER!

No spoilers because I haven't seen it, but I did have a risky listen to some no-spoiler reviews. And per some comments above that the CM movie is super meh: one reviewer who also said the CM movie was pretty meh and skippable in the lead up to Endgame (which I disagree with entirely, since you'd have no context for her inclusion in Endgame) said that Captain Marvel / Brie Larsen is very good in Endgame. And no legit basis for criticising any female characters of being Mary Sue's.

Even though the reviews are so-called non-spoiler, there are things said about some characters that I think sound spoilery. So beware reading / watching any reviews that claim to be non-spoilery as it's hard to be truly non-spoilery in any review that's longer than "It's bad/OK/good/great/GOAT"

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Me either

That's hard!      It's up there as an accomplishment with how Grampa Simpson avoided reefer.   After all these years,  someone must have shoved the movie in your eyes at some point, and you were just unconscious at the time.    That's how I got out of seeing The Notebook.

I'm confident Squirrel Girl plays no role in Endgame.   But imagine if she had a pivotal role and wore the guantlet at the end, then she blinked thrice and all humans grew bushy tails.   The people in Avatar had tails.    But it seemed totally normal, because everything was weird, so the tails kinda flew under the radar.  But on Earth?  You'd totally notice that shit.

Dammit.  Focus on Endgame, Todd!

Archived