MCUniverse: Cat Scratch Fever edition.

Red Tiger

Also, how Endgame is doing their thing makes me wonder if 20 movies could have worked as a way to do GoT. You'd have to have fewer intersecting characters and whatnot, but you could have big payoff things interspersed with general stories that were somewhat self-contained. It probably wouldn't work quite the right way, but GoT ending and Endgame ending in this big messy emotional effects-laden finale feels like a similar way to do their stories.

Oooh!  And instead of post credits scenes Game of Thrones movies could start off with short Dunk & Egg adventures for 10- 15 minutes like the old movies used to have cartoons or shorts.

Here's hoping Endgame isn't all moping for the first 90 minutes.   Heroes should limit their mope time to half an hour.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Also, how Endgame is doing their thing makes me wonder if 20 movies could have worked as a way to do GoT. You'd have to have fewer intersecting characters and whatnot, but you could have big payoff things interspersed with general stories that were somewhat self-contained. It probably wouldn't work quite the right way, but GoT ending and Endgame ending in this big messy emotional effects-laden finale feels like a similar way to do their stories.

First, I do think it's weird in terms of the coincidence, you're not the first person to observe that.  Second, let's say that's possible - 20 movies on ASOIF?  Some of those are gonna be pretty boring ass movies.  LIke, I'd know way more about Naath than I've ever wanted to.  I think the TV show is the right way to go.  We're at episode 70 now.  Would it be nice if the showrunners didn't bail early and make this, like, a 10 season thing.  Yeah, of course.  But that's if wishes were horses.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

First, I do think it's weird in terms of the coincidence, you're not the first person to observe that.  Second, let's say that's possible - 20 movies on ASOIF?  Some of those are gonna be pretty boring ass movies.  LIke, I'd know way more about Naath than I've ever wanted to.  I think the TV show is the right way to go.  We're at episode 70 now.  Would it be nice if the showrunners didn't bail early and make this, like, a 10 season thing.  Yeah, of course.  But that's if wishes were horses.

Maybe? I think you'd have to have more movies around specific characters and their area and less about, say, Naath. So you might have 4 or 5 movies with the Wall and the North, 4-5 movies about KL and whatnot, 4-5 movies about Dany. The challenge is that you'd need a lot more big-ass setpieces, and I'm not sure GoT has those ready to go.

Still, it's remarkable to me how incredibly popular serialized shows are now. When I grew up, the order of the day was TV shows where almost nothing changed from ep to ep and you could jump in at any time, and movies that were largely self-contained or were sequels but not particularly evolving ones. Now, with streaming and instant on demand, we have massive serialized TV shows that are brilliant AND movies are becoming more and more serialized. It's great.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

So you might have 4 or 5 movies with the Wall and the North, 4-5 movies about KL and whatnot, 4-5 movies about Dany.

See, right there in your second sentence, you're breaking things up. I don't want it like that.  At least keep some semblance of what Martin did.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

hen I grew up, the order of the day was TV shows where almost nothing changed from ep to ep and you could jump in at any time

Yeah all shows were procedurals for a very long time.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

and movies that were largely self-contained or were sequels but not particularly evolving ones.

Well, except for Back To The Future:

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Maybe? I think you'd have to have more movies around specific characters and their area and less about, say, Naath. So you might have 4 or 5 movies with the Wall and the North, 4-5 movies about KL and whatnot, 4-5 movies about Dany. The challenge is that you'd need a lot more big-ass setpieces, and I'm not sure GoT has those ready to go.

Still, it's remarkable to me how incredibly popular serialized shows are now. When I grew up, the order of the day was TV shows where almost nothing changed from ep to ep and you could jump in at any time, and movies that were largely self-contained or were sequels but not particularly evolving ones. Now, with streaming and instant on demand, we have massive serialized TV shows that are brilliant AND movies are becoming more and more serialized. It's great.

But we have like 60-70 hours of GOT already, what more could the movies really do other than break up the continuity or flow? I can see your thought but can't get behind it, maybe because I like the show too much?

Trouble with the 20 film option for ASOIAF would be that the first film would end with DeadNed, without anywhere near as much investment in other characters. The franchise would probably have died the death at that point.

By splitting things up for films, we wouldn't have seen Jon since around the 45 minute mark, and no-one else at the wall, no Dany, no Dragons...

Better writers would be a huge bonus though, as would a bigger SFX budget.

ETA, you could get around that by finishing earlier, with Bob's death; or with good writers, making it the story of the Lannister's being essentially the good guys of their own story, and seen as villains from the other aspects... Woukdneed REALLY good writers to carry that off though.

Well I've seen it now, I really enjoyed it and thought they did an excellent job of managing to pay off the important points and approached it in a way that made sense but couldnt all be seen coming from a mile off.

26 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Well I've seen it now, I really enjoyed it and thought they did an excellent job of managing to pay off the important points and approached it in a way that made sense but couldn't all be seen coming from a mile off.

Really envious right now.

I won't be able to see it until May 5th.

Havent seen it yet, but just to note after watching a non spoiler review, there are apparently no end-credits scenes. But there is set up for the next phase. Just to save people 15 minutes of credits....

Still, it's remarkable to me how incredibly popular serialized shows are now. When I grew up, the order of the day was TV shows where almost nothing changed from ep to ep and you could jump in at any time, and movies that were largely self-contained or were sequels but not particularly evolving ones. Now, with streaming and instant on demand, we have massive serialized TV shows that are brilliant AND movies are becoming more and more serialized. It's great

Meh, I don't know about that. I think that when shows have really good, long stories worthy of serialisation to tell, it's fantastic they have that opportunity and can go for it (as with Fargo, The Americans, etc). However, there's lots of shows (hi, almost the entire Netflix Marvel universe!) which instead take a very weak and shallow story that would struggle to fill 4 episodes and spread them across 10 or 13 instead.

When watching shows like that, it actually makes more nostalgic for more episodic shows. At least if an idea blew, it only blew for 44 minutes and the next week they had a fresh idea to try out. With the modern TV paradigm it feels like if your idea blows, you're stuck with it for a whole season. I think this is why the adapting books idea has taken off, because if you're adapting a story that's gripped millions of readers for decades, the chances are it will also do the same on TV (hence GoTOutlanderAmerican GodsThe Handmaid's Tale etc).

I think I still prefer the hybrid approach that shows went for in the late 1990s and early 2000s which had stand-alone (ish) episodes mixed in with more serialised elements, like BuffyAngelBabylon 5FarscapeDS9The X-Files etc. One show that's doing that at the moment (kind of) is Atlanta, and it's possibly the best thing on air.

Anyone else seen it that can confirm that there's indeed no post-credits scene? After seeing Infinity War's credit roll, which I honestly believe was the most names I've ever seen scroll past for a movie, I assume this one will have even more people to credit. And by then I am going to desperately need to pee, stretch, casually wipe my beard as if it isn't soaked with 2 hours of grown-man-tears, and all that. 

I havent read a single review, and will probably duck out of this thread as well until tomorrow night. Even hearing that it's a tearjerker already has me 'spoiled' as much as I want. Also logging the fuck off Facebook, my nerd friends simply cannot manage to shut their mouths. I watched the GoT ep a few hours late and people were just going ham about this scene and that (this Sunday I'm at a viewing party so that problem will not happen).

I stayed until after all the actor credits which were very long and includes a photo of each main avengers essentially getting autographed. After that it transitions into the full detail scrolling white on black credits and the lights came on/everyone started to leave. 

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Meh, I don't know about that. I think that when shows have really good, long stories worthy of serialisation to tell, it's fantastic they have that opportunity and can go for it (as with Fargo, The Americans, etc). However, there's lots of shows (hi, almost the entire Netflix Marvel universe!) which instead take a very weak and shallow story that would struggle to fill 4 episodes and spread them across 10 or 13 instead.

When watching shows like that, it actually makes more nostalgic for more episodic shows. At least if an idea blew, it only blew for 44 minutes and the next week they had a fresh idea to try out. With the modern TV paradigm it feels like if your idea blows, you're stuck with it for a whole season. I think this is why the adapting books idea has taken off, because if you're adapting a story that's gripped millions of readers for decades, the chances are it will also do the same on TV (hence GoTOutlanderAmerican GodsThe Handmaid's Tale etc).

I think I still prefer the hybrid approach that shows went for in the late 1990s and early 2000s which had stand-alone (ish) episodes mixed in with more serialised elements, like BuffyAngelBabylon 5FarscapeDS9The X-Files etc. One show that's doing that at the moment (kind of) is Atlanta, and it's possibly the best thing on air.

Couldn’t agree more, the late 90’s early 2000’s style is the best, IMO

You don’t need every episode to be story arc related to have a good show.

That’s interesting if there’s no post-credit scene, I’ve been thinking for a while that they might have regretted doing those. I’ll still watch to the end just in case (or, to not look a fool in front of all the other Marvel fans :)) but they’ve been phoning them in for a while. Maybe they figured this is as good a movie as any to kill them off and there won’t be any going forward.

Archived