Jump to content
Euron III Greyjoy

How far south will the Others get?

Recommended Posts

When the Others finally make it past the Wall, how far south do you think they'll end up going? 

I hope this isn't the case, but it would be very GRRM to have them invade only the North before they either get destroyed or pushed back, in which case southerners probably wouldn't believe in their existence, and chalk it down to "those silly northerners."

I do hope they make it south of the Neck though, if only so we can see the southerners have an "oh shit" moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

When the Others finally make it past the Wall, how far south do you think they'll end up going? 

I hope this isn't the case, but it would be very GRRM to have them invade only the North before they either get destroyed or pushed back, in which case southerners probably wouldn't believe in their existence, and chalk it down to "those silly northerners."

I do hope they make it south of the Neck though, if only so we can see the southerners have an "oh shit" moment. 

That is somewhat what I have been thinking: that people won't really know of the WW marching south. In fact, I think they will think Dany destroyed the wall with her dragon(s) to get help from the wildlings.

I really think she will get all the blame, and Aegon VI will get all of the claims from Jon's good deeds, while Jon gets all the crap :)

She has an eunuch army, dothrakis (barbarians), Iron Borns, probably eventually wildlings, and dragons on her side. She is the perfect "monster" for Aegon to be seen as the hero, especially if he melts down the Iron Throne and contributes with the GC in killing the last dragon(s), since there is no way he is going to control them (see his Cyvasse game lol).

I think a new wall will rise, but it will be said to be to undo what Dany did. Wildlings will end up having to live north of it again. Jon banished, remembered as a bastard, consort to mad Daenerys, King Beyond the Wall.

Edited by NonoNono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NonoNono said:

I think a new wall will rise, but it will be said to be to undo what Dany did. Wildlings will end up having to live north of it again. Jon banished, remembered as a bastard, consort to mad Daenerys, King Beyond the Wall.

That would actually be a pretty interesting ending. It would kind of be like a gender reverse Night's King and his corpse Queen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it'll all come to a head at Bran the Builder's (Winter) Storm's End.

The tremendous amount of detail about the Southern kingdoms would seem somewhat irrelevant and excessive if it doesn't play a part in the big-deal ending. It would also seem like the South got off easy for playing the Game when they should have been looking at the real threat. That's the sort of thing that comes with major consequences in this series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

 

I do hope they make it south of the Neck though, if only so we can see the southerners have an "oh shit" moment. 

No matter how far south, I just hope Tyrion the ultra - rationalist will feel the white frost upon his arse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winterfell.  Can't be wiping out all of the North.

If the "dead things in the water" are able to travel by sea I can see raids along the coast down to KL or Lannisport but not effective conquest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

When the Others finally make it past the Wall, how far south do you think they'll end up going? 

I hope this isn't the case, but it would be very GRRM to have them invade only the North before they either get destroyed or pushed back, in which case southerners probably wouldn't believe in their existence, and chalk it down to "those silly northerners."

I do hope they make it south of the Neck though, if only so we can see the southerners have an "oh shit" moment. 

They will get as far as the weather permits.  If I had to guess, they will be stopped at the trident.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think GRRM will have the final battles at Winterfell.  If the WWs get past Winterfell, there is nothing to stop them until the Neck.

We still have no idea what the Night King wants, but my guess is whatever it is, it is in Winterfell.  I also believe that whatever "magic" is in the Wall, is also in Winterfell's walls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Think it'll all come to a head at Bran the Builder's (Winter) Storm's End.

The tremendous amount of detail about the Southern kingdoms would seem somewhat irrelevant and excessive if it doesn't play a part in the big-deal ending. It would also seem like the South got off easy for playing the Game when they should have been looking at the real threat. That's the sort of thing that comes with major consequences in this series. 

I don't see the Others themselves getting too much further south than Harrenhal and the Gods' Eye. If Daenerys' visions are any indicator, the Trident looks like it's going to be the location of a huge battle.

The wights, on the other hand? Spiders the size as hounds and other monsters? Oh, I think we'll be seeing wights in Dorne and other ugly horrors everywhere north of the Red Mountains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

I think GRRM will have the final battles at Winterfell.  If the WWs get past Winterfell, there is nothing to stop them until the Neck.

We still have no idea what the Night King wants, but my guess is whatever it is, it is in Winterfell.  I also believe that whatever "magic" is in the Wall, is also in Winterfell's walls. 

I disagree.

If they are stopped at Winterfell, then the conflict will have ultimately meant nothing to anywhere south of Moat Cailin. While I do agree that Winterfell will be attacked, they will be under siege with Sansa as the main POV there -- think of the foreshadowing surrounding the siege of Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater.

While there's something very special about Winterfell, the Others and their armies will keep moving south beyond Winterfell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

I think GRRM will have the final battles at Winterfell.  If the WWs get past Winterfell, there is nothing to stop them until the Neck.

We still have no idea what the Night King wants, but my guess is whatever it is, it is in Winterfell.  I also believe that whatever "magic" is in the Wall, is also in Winterfell's walls. 

Its not like Winterfell is some kind of wall blocking the rest of the North. If they wanted to the Others could just walk past it. Unless of course, like you said, the Others want something from Winterfell. 

I do agree that the Neck might be hard for them to get past though. It would be interesting if the Others steal a ship or two. sail down the White Knife, keep to the shore, and then land in the Riverlands. This would not only mean they wouldn't have to traverse the Neck, but they could also stop off at the Three Sisters and turn everyone into Wights. 

I'm interested to see the hierarchy of the Others. Will they have a leader, or will there be some kind of democracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I don't see the Others themselves getting too much further south than Harrenhal and the Gods' Eye. If Daenerys' visions are any indicator, the Trident looks like it's going to be the location of a huge battle.

The wights, on the other hand? Spiders the size as hounds and other monsters? Oh, I think we'll be seeing wights in Dorne and other ugly horrors everywhere north of the Red Mountains.

I do like the symbolism of the last fight going on at the Trident and God's Eye, and I do think something important happens here, but I can't see it as the last of it. Someone recently pointed out that Dany's vision was about overconfidence, meaning things initially go well, but she underestimates them. I'm just not pulling the right words to find who said that. Hopefully someone will recall and provide the link. 

I never considered that the wights might be an issue past the point where things are resolved with the Others. That's interesting.  

Everything kinda hinges on Storm's End for me. The Wall, Winterfell, Storm's End. Bran the Builder's trilogy. It's important for a reason. Unless I think of another role for it at that level, I'm probably not gonna move beyond that.

:dunno:

TWOW

Spoiler

Arianne's TWOW chapter in that area reinforced the feeling a lot. 

 

24 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

If they are stopped at Winterfell, then the conflict will have ultimately meant nothing to anywhere south of Moat Cailin. While I do agree that Winterfell will be attacked, they will be under siege with Sansa as the main POV there -- think of the foreshadowing surrounding the siege of Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater. 

While there's something very special about Winterfell, the Others and their armies will keep moving south beyond Winterfell.

Agree. The Neck, lakes and rivers will freeze. Then they can just walk across no problem. Turbulent and salty seas would be tougher to freeze, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow me to quote our friend Euron Greyjoy:

Quote

Crow's Eye, you call me. Well, who has a keener eye than the crow? After every battle the crows come in their hundreds and their thousands to feast upon the fallen. A crow can espy death from afar. And I say that all of Westeros is dying. Those who follow me will feast until the end of their days.

Make of that what you will...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I suspect the Others mainly operate mentally, and have been operating south of the Wall for a long time - gaining intelligence, maybe trying to get inside people's heads (Mel says dreams are sent by the Enemy, and fears to dream).

The white shadow embodiment of the Others might be difficult to create until they get the climate right (the Neck seems like the first barrier to this).

But mainly I think they're mental beings. The environment of Always Winter seems conducive to strong mental development, but, for physical life, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

When the Others finally make it past the Wall, how far south do you think they'll end up going? 

My question is how do the Others get past the Wall.

According to posters referencing Fire and Blood Vol. ! some Targ Queen's dragon gave resistance and refusal to fly past the warded Wall.

Also, for years posters have been yapping bout the cracked war horn Jon found & gave to Sam is the horn of joramun which supposedly cracks and breaks that massive 300 mile long and 700 -900 foot tall Wall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Also, for years posters have been yapping bout the cracked war horn Jon found & gave to Sam is the horn of joramun which supposedly cracks and breaks that massive 300 mile long and 700 -900 foot tall Wall.

Well, Chekhov's Horn is in Oldtown, which is also where Euron Greyjoy is heading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winterfell and the entirety of the north will be destroyed.  However, since the north has a smaller population than the south, then it cannot be called tragic if only the north were to fall.  About half of us here could care less about the north.  George Martin wants to keep the story on the bitter side so the white walkers will make it to the south.  At least Casterly Rock, King's Landing, The Twins, and the riverlands will fall to them.  Sunspear is too far to the south and will be spared from the white walkers but it will be inundated with refugees.  Dorne and the southern part of the Reach will suffer indirectly from the refugees.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×