How far south will the Others get?

Euron III Greyjoy

On 3/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, The Map Guy said:

Remember, the story of the Rat Cook came from the Nightfort ... I am pretty sure we will hear his story again in the future, or something similar to it.

Didn't Manderly ask Able (Mance) to sing the song of the Rat Cook in DwD? 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, The Map Guy said:

Yea Stannis is given the Nightfort ... but if he takes Winterfell, hes gonna be chilling there realistically.

For some reason the second part made me pause for consideration. I had previously been of the certainty that Stannis does return to the Wall after he clears WF of Bolton's.

Now I am thinking if the snows are as deep as martin described no one is traveling no where quickly unless there are magical snow plows clearing paths.

But then again maybe bear paws help.

Martin does go into great detail about horses traveling in snow in a Asha chapter --- 

A Dance with Dragons - The King's Prize      On the third day of snow, the king's host began to come apart. Whilst the southron knights and lordlings struggled, the men of the northern hills fared better. Their garrons were sure-footed beasts that ate less than palfreys, and much less than the big destriers, and the men who rode them were at home in the snow. Many of the wolves donned curious footwear. Bear-paws, they called them, queer elongated things made with bent wood and leather strips. Lashed onto the bottoms of their boots, the things somehow allowed them to walk on top of the snow without breaking through the crust and sinking down to their thighs.      Some had bear-paws for their horses too, and the shaggy little garrons wore them as easily as other mounts wore iron horseshoes … but the palfreys and destriers wanted no part of them. When a few of the king's knights strapped them onto their feet nonetheless, the big southern horses balked and refused to move, or tried to shake the things off their feet. One destrier broke an ankle trying to walk in them.      The northmen on their bear-paws soon began to outdistance the rest of the host. They overtook the knights in the main column, then Ser Godry Farring and his vanguard./

So, yeah, realistically no one is going no where soon if martin's snow is as deep as he described. Another 800 -1000 page book to look forward to.

The Others aren't coming. After Sam accidentally killed one of them, the Others were all fired up and ready to go, but GRRM left them hanging for more than two and a half books, so they called him up and said, "If you're not going to take this seriously, we're going home."

How far south will the Others get?

My question is how the Others get past the Wall.

I once suggested the Others did the polar bear crawl. Leaping from one ice berg to another.

Story is the Horn of Jorman brings down the Wall. The fancy horn Mance had was burned. Theory is the cracked war horn Jon found and gave to Samwell is the the horn that brings down the Wall. :ack:

So I guess that means while Sam is studying at the Citadel Sam gives a toot and boom magic happens.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

I don't think Dorne will be allying themselves with Daenerys. Not at first.

Eh. We'll wait for the story then.
For some reason, I feel like Robert Strong will single-handedly terminate Jon Con & Aegon in the field of battle. He would just rush through the Golden Company formations like an unstoppable juggernaut ... straight to Aegon and squish his head. Afterwards, Dorne & Dany ally up.

Anyways I suggested Dorne as Dany's first steps because she will be on the bottom of the map, eliminating the potential of a two-front threat. She only needs to focus on going North, instead of being surrounded.

Second, the climate of Dorne will be an easier transition for whatever forces Dany will bring from Essos.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Didn't Manderly ask Able (Mance) to sing the song of the Rat Cook in DwD? 

He avoided being a Rat Cook ... he waited for the Freys to leave the "guest rights zone" before killing them. He is one sneaky sly man.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

So, yeah, realistically no one is going no where soon if martin's snow is as deep as he described. Another 800 -1000 page book to look forward to.

Assuming Stannis takes Winterfell, he would be in a comfortable defensive position.

He wouldn't be able to hold off the Other's invasion at the Wall anyways.
He wouldn't know where to defend at the Wall, and HOW to defend to it.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Three-Fingered Pete said:

The Others aren't coming. After Sam accidentally killed one of them, the Others were all fired up and ready to go, but GRRM left them hanging for more than two and a half books, so they called him up and said, "If you're not going to take this seriously, we're going home."

Party pooper!

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere

Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere

....And they never met, end of story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:09 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

I disagree.

If they are stopped at Winterfell, then the conflict will have ultimately meant nothing to anywhere south of Moat Cailin. While I do agree that Winterfell will be attacked, they will be under siege with Sansa as the main POV there -- think of the foreshadowing surrounding the siege of Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater.

While there's something very special about Winterfell, the Others and their armies will keep moving south beyond Winterfell.

They won't move past Winterfell as long as the castle is standing and people are inside.  

My guess will be King's Landing, half a million people ready to be wights plus King's landing needs to be destroyed or at least rebuilt, that city is rotten not just in smell but also in people, and there's a chance they'll get to Storm's End and even set foot in Dorne.

I wonder how many noble houses will remain though after the Others are done..

18 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

They won't move past Winterfell as long as the castle is standing and people are inside.  

Why? Make it make sense!

The Others don't have to move in straight lines. They can just walk around. Or hell not even that, they can just keep moving down the Kingsroad and pass Winterfell right up.

Plus, the Others are not likely to be alone. They have their own infatigable armies of monsters and zombies. They don't have to destroy Winterfell in order to overrun the continent and maybe the next.

I expect Winterfell will be besieged but the Others will continue south. Considering the fact that the Starks will be back in Winterfell by the time the Wall falls and the Others begin to overrun the Seven Kingdoms, I think that everyone inside of Winterfell will be provided some form of magical protection. I am 99.9% sure that Sansa (Jon too but Sansa is the more important one in this case) will be back in Winterfell when the times comes.

But let's say that you're right. If the Others concentrate on Winterfell before they make a move anywhere else in Westeros, then that means that the Others never really been more than a Night's Watch problem and are only now just becoming a Stark problem. And that means we would've wasted a lot of time reading the stories of Ned, Catelyn, Arya and Sansa.

There would have been no point of them leaving Winterfell to begin with and even less of a point of keeping them away from Winterfell for so long.

I am certain after all is over the Others will still be remembered as just some myth, people won’t believe they were marching south. It’s the wildlings breaching the wall and Dany and her army and her dragons that people will remember, saying they destroyed the north and were stopped before they could take King’s Landing and the rest of Westeros, and all will praise Aegon VI for saving them.

So, they won’t make it far south. That’s what you get for saving the world before people realize it’s ending. For most, it will be seen as just another long winter.

Archived